Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

yum :)

in other news, I just myself 10 (yes, TEN) BLS-5 batteries new and unused off of ebay for 68 euros. cheapest price for a single one online was 50... what the hell is going on?

yum :)

in other news, I just myself 10 (yes, TEN) BLS-5 batteries new and unused off of ebay for 68 euros. cheapest price for a single one online was 50... what the hell is going on?
Let us know if they're actual OEM batteries or copies

they bloody well should be, it's what it said in the description. so i'll be maaaaaaad when they're not :shakefist: but not really, at that price, who gives a damn...

edit: i just saw that my post wasn't quite clear on that.

yes, it said 10 original olympus bls-5, new and unused.

aaaand here they are: ten original and unopened olympus bls-5 for 68?
2014-07-02%2013.27.29.jpg

so... anyone need one? :D

That's tremendous value for money, no doubt about that. My E-M1 and E-M5 uses the more expensive, and (right after the E-M5 launch) almost unobtainable BLN-1 though, which is fortunately in better supply now. That said I have four cheap knock-offs that work very well.

went out for a little shoot today and discovered afterwards i have a major speck of... something on the sensor. its not dust, but rather something sticky. i don't get it, i've always been extremely careful and quick about changing lenses. some forum posts of people say it could come from inside the camera itself, which i find rather odd. maybe it was on the sensor from the start and i just didn't notice (you do need to shoot the sky or something similar stopped way down to really notice it in a picture)... oh well, off to olympus it'll go next week :|

hmpf! sent my e-m10 to olympus service partner on monday for a sensor cleaning, which got processed extremely quickly (according to the service-tracking tool online, nice thing this). according to them it got finished and sent back on wednesday, but all the DHL tracking tells me is "data submitted", no actual package status. it is occasionally stuck on that, but usually the package simply arrives after a day or two... this time however, nothing :mad: and i don't have any e-mail or phone contact with that service partner to ask about it. stuff like this makes me nervous...

lovely tool that voigtlander, but even with all the manual focus help the camera gives you, i'm still rather happy i got the olympus 25mm/1.8. ... my wallet is even happier :D then again, that price you paid is basically the same as the olympus is here.

Sadly it seems like my E-M5 might have to go for its round of service too, I'm getting quite a few black frames at around 1/2000s / 1/4000s in broad daylight, which apparently indicates a sticky shutter. Out of warranty and all, I wonder how much that'll cost me. Given that I only paid ~300? for the body I'll be a little hesitant to spend money fixing it :-s

Oh ouch; I experienced that very early on with mine so I got it serviced in-warranty. Mine's been experiencing some problems with the EVF image going 16- bit, but I think that's a consequence of when I dropped it a couple of times; otherwise it's been quite solid. I haven't been taking many pictures recently so I need to decide if I want to keep it at all; been whittling down my kit to a few lenses.

well, as usual, once you complain somewhere, something happens :D (this actually works fairly frequently for me, true story) still, took them some time. 3 working days to slap the DHL sticker on the parcel after printing? or maybe ran out of paper?
Thu, 10.07.2014 14:49 h -- The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically
Mon, 14.07.2014 12:29 h Hamburg The shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

with your E-M5: even if you only paid $300 for it, it could still be considered to be worth more, maybe? i don't know what the service cost for fixing a sticky shutter would be, but i can't imagine it wouldn't be worth it. in any case, what else would you do? if it only occurs with those very fast shutter speeds, i guess you could just ignore it...

I read somewhere that the service cost is around $100, which isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, but stopping down and using ISO 100 when outside is free ^^'
So I think I'll ignore it for now :)

Besides, apparently the E-M5 Mk.II is around the corner ^^'

Besides, apparently the E-M5 Mk.II is around the corner ^^'

yeah, i read that as well. although i don't quite know what they're going to do with it to set it apart from their current lineup :dunno: oh well, guess i'm in for a surprise :)

MFT, for some reason I find even the base ISO files highly noisy...or maybe its just me who's used to Full Frame...

Not sure if troll :think:

Base ISO (200) on my E-M5 is pretty much noise free, even is low-light situations. And while definitely not as good as full-frame, you can usually get very decent and relatively noise-free results at ISO 1600/3200.

The old 12MP sensors were pretty noisy though, even at relatively low ISO.

MFT, for some reason I find even the base ISO files highly noisy...or maybe its just me who's used to Full Frame...
I think you're getting noise confused with the smaller pixel density of the MFT sensors compared to full frame sensors (meaning when you look at a photo shot on a MFT camera blown up to 1:1 there is much more 'no image data dead spots' compared to a 1:1 image shot on FF)

I own both a FF Nikon and an Olympus EM5 and the level of difference in detail when you pixel peep at 1:1 res is pretty apparent.

I'm not so sure. My E-PL1 is sharper than my FF D700 at pixel level. I think it is the weaker AA filter of the E-PL1 that generates this difference.

However, the Olympus is only (virtually) noise-free at ISO 100, above you can see a bit of noise creep in. Not that I'm complaining, but some time ago I noticed that the E-PL1 uses ISO 200 as the base value when on auto-ISO, so I wondered what difference 100 vs. 200 makes. I did some comparison shots and found out that ISO 200 looks perfectly fine by itself, but compared to ISO 100 you see that the latter does have a lower level of noise.

Last edited:
was bored, bought a little toy
(snip)
How is the E-M10 treating you so far? The 9/8 fisheye looks like fun, reasonably sharp in the center with fairly bad edges, still not bad for something that cheap. I have the samyang 7,5mm fisheye, but that is also sharp in the edges and can be stopped up and down (f3.5-22)

In other news, a picture of the m.ZD 40-150mm f2.8 Pro?mounted on a gripped E-M1:
olympus_40_150mm_zps1187ef66.jpg

?
There will be a silver E-M1 and a 1,4x teleconverter:
oly_e-m1_silver_001_zpsea7cd54b.jpg

The teleconverter is made specifically for the 40-150/2.8 and the planned 300/4:
oly_14xtelecon_001_zpsc9fb8983.jpg

They will announce a new firmware for the E-M1:
Another trusted source shared more tidbits about the E-M1 2.0 firmware upgrade:
1.?Olympus Capture: software tethering, you can do almost anything from your PC.
2. 2 new art filters : vintage and partial color
3.?Faster EVF response 16ms (improved from 29ms)
4.?Total 16 improvements.
5.?Keystone feature: The good news, It works in liveview and you can use the 2 control dials to manipulate vertical and horizontal axis separately. Bad news, it doesn?t work in retouch mode and you can manipulate only 1 axis on a single image.

How is the E-M10 treating you so far? The 9/8 fisheye looks like fun, reasonably sharp in the center with fairly bad edges, still not bad for something that cheap. I have the samyang 7,5mm fisheye, but that is also sharp in the edges and can be stopped up and down (f3.5-22)

very happy with my e-m10 :) can't think of anything i would miss and everything it does, it does very well. i would've liked the samyang 7.5, but it'd be just something to play around with, so too expensive. i ended up paying ~80?, which is ok for just something to play around with a bit... i'm actually quite surprised how sharp it is in the center, i would've expected far worse!