Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

:drool:
that titanium finish looks awesome. i never much liked all the silver versions and the black is just, well, black.
those lenses though, mhmm... just like i'd love to have the 40-150/2.8, i'd now love to get my hands on that 7-14 ... i just don't want to pay for it :(
the fisheye 1.8 i don't quite get... i mean, what's the point of having such a ridiculously bright fisheye? can you even use an aperture like that in a fisheye?
Yes, the titanium finish looks really good, price (body only) is $150 more than the regular E-M5II. That's not bad for a "limited edition" ;)

Yes, a super-wide f2.8 zoom was never going to be cheap. The Panasonic 7-14mm costs $949, whereas the Olympus costs $1299, for the extra $350 you get f2.8, full weather sealing, full manual focus control with a distance scale, and most likely better image quality. The 8mm is a bit weird I think, but it will probably deliver something special, such close focus (just 12 cm from the focal plane) and f1.8 with a fisheye must be interesting.

When the 300mm f4 Pro is added, the mFT-system will be very hard to ignore, even for professionals. You have the full range from the super wide 7mm (14mm in 135-format) to 150mm (300mm in 135-format) covered in f2.8, fully weather sealed and relatively light. Ignoring the standard grade zooms this is what mFT has so far:

Olympus: (Pro)
7-14mm f2.8
12-40mm f2.8
40-150mm f2.8

8mm f1.8 Fisheye
300mm f4 (under development)

Prime lenses:
12mm f2
17mm f1.8
25mm f1.8
45mm f1.8
60mm f2.8 Macro
75mm f1.8

Panasonic:
7-14mm f4
12-35mm f2.8
35-100mm f2.8

8mm f3.5 Fisheye
14mm f2.5 Pancake
15mm f1.7 Summilux
20mm f1.7 Pancake
25mm f1.4 Summilux
30mm f2.8 Macro
42,5mm f1.8
42,5mm f1.2 Nocticron
45mm f2.8 Macro

12-32mm Pancake zoom
35-100mm Compact zoom

I finally had time to go to the shop and play with some cameras, my impression is purely based on tactile experience, no idea about image quality :)

I was impressed with AF speed of nearly every camera I tried, but was quite disappointed that apart from Fuji, none offered manual, non-motor-driven zoom. Sony A6000 was the only one where it didn't matter, because the zooming action (via the ring on the lens) is amazingly quick. Lock-to-lock in like half a second.

Secondly, optical viewfinder is not an issue, EVF is easily good enough in most cameras. It is a must have accessory though.

Fujis feel really very nice. X100T just fits my hand perfectly and everything feels great! Manual focusing, though, is slow and annoying, and I can't make sense of what's going on in the viewfinder when in manual mode. Oh well, it's a prime lens only, and not my price range anyway. The X30, though, feels almost as nice (mechanical zoom ftw), and the cheapest of all the cameras I liked.

Sony's RX100 wasn't too comfortable to operate, but A6000 with a 16-50 kit lens I liked quite a lot.

Same with GX7, didn't find it too comfortable, but the LX100 is fantastic. My favourite of the bunch. Even manual focusing with EVF is a joy. If it had Sony's zoom action it would be perfect.

I also liked to operate the E-M10, but it's a bit on the large side, and I'm not sure about pancake lenses.

Sooo... I don't know :D My main conclusion is that I do like LX100 and X30, I don't like GX7 or RX100, and Sony's system is suddenly a contender. I'll keep saving money and revisit the question in near future. But so far it seems I wont be going with micro 4/3...

Last edited:
From a long and well worded review of the E-M5II:
I have always been a fan of the small but killer lenses that Panasonic and Olympus have been making for their systems as well. When the EM5.2 hit the market I compared the EVF and that sold me on the value proposition of trading up from one generation to the next. For the EVF alone it was well worth it. There's not a big improvement in the underlying image quality between generations but the other goodies in the feature set make the camera easier to use in order to get those quality images.

There is a visible improvement in the Image Stabilization. The camera overall feels better to use. The shutter is elegantly quiet and refined in its acoustic profile. The new features like Hi Res, and Keystone Correction are fun and ultimately useful. The new accessory grip that gives me a headphone jack for monitoring video audio is most welcome. The ability to use old batteries and the older bottom section of the battery grip instead of obsoleting them is also a polite nod from Olympus to long time customers.

For all but the most demanding and unusual aspects of photography this system is perfect. The images are very good and the operational effectiveness of the good files, in combination with the image stabilization, makes this camera so good at any aspect of handheld photography that it overshadows small differences in resolution that are found on bigger, heavier and more expensive cameras. I say this while owning a competing camera system from Nikon and having used many different digital camera systems over the last ten years.

I managed to sold my dodgy E-M5 as well as my X100 and my 25mm Voigtlander lens which I both seldom used anymore, and I am now looking at the second hand E-M1 market, which has greatly come down in prices! Looking at the reviews and the features that the latest firmware upgrades added, I feel like it's a good upgrade from the E-M5.

Features I'm most excited about:
- Built-in WiFi, I can finally re-use a fast card instead of the relying on my slow (but extremely reliable) Toshiba WiFi SD card.
- Live Composite and EVF Boost sound cool for star photography.
- Timelapse feature built-in.

Also, last I heard Olympus said they weren't done supporting this camera, as it's still supposed to be higher-end than the E-M5 mk.II.

I was thinking about making the trade to a second hand or refurbished E-M1 as well, especially since olympusmarket seems to be auctioning off some 12-50 kit refurbished ones. if the end of auction is timed right, those sometimes go for 850?, which would mean i'd pay some 200-250? for trading up.

Also I got a 40-150/2.8 with mc14 :| Don't ask me why, I just wanted to... GAS, i guess, but I'm looking forward to it :)

I'm going to see one tomorrow, body only, with some wear and tear on the body (nothing major, certainly in better shape than my em5), for ~490 euros :)

Noice! I have a feeling I've asked this before, but I love that leather strap! Where'd you get that from? I have a sorta similar neoprene one, which sucks! :p

Also, have an utter potatoe pic of my E-M10 struggling with the 40-150PRO and MC14, it's hilariously imbalanced :lol:
AhY4GDo8OoOcuLyJFTATRAox5Zty_D51Mve1pVKYgBwM.jpg

edit: yes i have marimekko bedsheets, be quiet!
edit2: holy shit I love the lenshood on this thing, i can't stop playing with it! also the focus snap ring makes an even better impression than the one on the 12-40. :drool: everything about this thing is drooltastic.

Last edited:
I think I haven't posted this strap before, but I believe somebody else here got a similar one a few months ago!

This one was a gift from my girlfriend, she got it there:

http://www.photato.com.hk

It's really rather nice, it was a little bit stiff at first but it's now broken in very well and is extremely supple.

I love a small camera with a big lens attached to it (or is it a big lens with a small camera attached to it?) :D

As for the camera, it's quite awesome. I'm still getting used to the buttons layout compared with the E-M5 (which quite different), but I feel like the E-M1's makes more sense and allows to dig less in the menus.

Rumours say the E-M1 mk.II may still be at least a year away.

I'm still extremely pleased with mine, especially with the updates still coming!

I know that feel :hug:

well... it happened :|
Shot myself a brand new E-M1+12-40 Kit on eBay today for a ridiculously good price... Selling off the 12-40 (because I have one already) and my E-M10, I should end up paying something between 100-200? for the upgrade. Now I only have to find a cheap-ish HLD-7 and some third party batteries I guess :)