Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

... aaaand i got myself a cheap-ish HLD-7 and 2 additiona batteries already. which will probably arrive here before the E-M1 itself, because ebay. but you never know, it's not been marked as shipped, but some people simply don't give a damn about that to surprise you :D

88Q8WNK.jpg

here we go! aw yiss! ... sad thing is, my additional batteries haven't arrived yet, so the grip doesn't really make much of a difference :p
edit2: just gotta complain! batteries arrived as well :dance:

Last edited:
So I took my 1st-gen Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 into a cave, and it helped me take some stunning pictures. This is the first non-kit lens I bought all the way back in 2009, and it's pretty much my hardest-working piece of glass. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with interchangeable lenses; if I could combine this lens's light-gathering ability with my E-M5's image stabilization into a single fixed-lens camera, I can see myself exiting the interchangeable-lens game entirely.

I forgot that I have it all too often... But every time I remember to use it, I'm blown away by the results.

^ That is beautiful. :) I ended up selling mine as I got the Oly 17/1.8 and the 25/0.95, kind of regret it still, except for the AF, that was annoying at times.

Also, I just ended up getting a 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8, shit... XD

Olympus will introduce a new PEN camera by the end of January:
oly_pen-f_f001.jpg

This is the world?s first image of the new PEN-F! The camera we first ?rumored? months ago. The image got leaked via Digicameinfo. The cameras has the 75mm Zuiko and a small grip. Lot of dials on the top and the integrated viewfinder in the corner can be seen too.

Those are the specs we got from our sources:

PEN-f announce dat?: 27.01
Sensor: 20mpix
Two kit lens: 14-42ez and 17mm 1,8
New EVF
Price of kits 1497-1797Euro

^ That is beautiful. :) I ended up selling mine as I got the Oly 17/1.8 and the 25/0.95, kind of regret it still, except for the AF, that was annoying at times.

Also, I just ended up getting a 12-40/2.8 and 40-150/2.8, shit... XD
I do like my pancakes, so that's really helping its case; yeah, the AF is annoying, but I don't do enough low-light action photography to get another MSC lens (40-150mm 4-5.6 is enough for now). Dat big glass though.

Ooh. This might be enough to get me back into the PEN game.

It's going to be named Pen-F:

oly_pen-f_black_f002.jpg

oly_penf_silver_b001.jpg

oly_penf_silver_t001.jpg

It will be announced Januar 27th. Moar pictures here.

Edit: More pics and full specs leaked:
? 20MP Live MOS sensor (made by Sony)
? 50MP high resolution shot mode
? 5-axis camera shake correction. Five stop correction (CIPA)
? Creative dial to directly access four functions
? 2.36 million dot organic EL EVF (S-OVF mode to extend the dynamic range)
? Mechanical shutter: 60 seconds -1/8000 seconds
? Electronic front curtain shutter (anti-shock mode): 60 seconds -1/320 seconds
? Electronic shutter (silent mode): 60 seconds -1/16000 seconds
? Video full HD60p
? Interval Shooting
? 4K time-lapse movie
? Continuous shooting of 10 frames / sec (5 frames / sec in the AF tracking)
? Wi-Fi built-in. Remote control via smartphone
? 3 inches 1.03 million dot movable LCD monitor
? AF tracking pad: EVF is capable of moving the AF point in the touch panel at the time of use
? Media SDHC / SDXC (UHS-II compatible)
? Included with an external flash FL-LM3. Guide number 9.1. Bounce possible
? ISO200-25600 (LOW: ISO80 equivalent)
? Color Black and Silver
? Price is 1499 Euro with kit lens.

Last edited:
I had an E-M10 and 25mm Nokton 0.95.. Lovely combo. Sold them for a Sony A7 and 50mm Leica Summarit because "FULL FRAME FUCK YEAH". Instant regret. Awesome lens, uninspiring and flimsy camera. Sold them and got a Ricoh GXR with the leica mount module. still struggling..Still, the E-M10 and 25mm Nokton is my favourite combo, and I'm thinking of going back to that setup. There are no interesting 50mm lenses available for the A7, other than legacy and Leica lenses that either suffer from a fucking thick adapter or ridiculous price. FF SLR bodies again are expensive. m43 is pretty much the closest thing you can get to an old film SLR. The size of an E-M10 with the 25mm Nokton is comparable to the Spotmatic with a 50mm 1.8. A 5D with a 50mm 1.8 is fucking massive in comparison, but still an option I'm considering. Currently on a GXR with 28mm Voigtl?nder Ultron, 40mm equivalent, roughly.

So by random chance I got my hands on a M.7-14 2.8 pro just ahead of a trip to iceland at the end of august. Totally random chance, I tell you, I wasn't looking for a chance to pick that up at all! The few shots I've taken with it by now confirm it's very much an awesome lens, super happy with it!

So, today were the first presentations of the new flagships panasonic GH5 and olympus E-M1mk2. Anyone check those out? I am watching the olympus presentation right now, at the moment, I'm quite hjappy with what I'm hearing :)

live edit:
- holy shit 60fps raw wtf
- nice 121 cross type AF points with whole new AF system
- same form factor and design was a given i guess...
- better battery was bound to happen
- what's with the crowd, nobody seems to give the tiniest of shits
- new sensor: 20mpix - same as in pen-f? all new? no idea what's going on here to be honest. meh.
- why the hell is my youtube stream breaking down?
- truepic 8 processor - meh, double quad core, but what for?
- ruined by youtube screwing up, thanks again youtube
- 4Kp30 video was already known, don't care... 237Mbps sounds quite nice though.
- FFS YOUTUBE everything is screwed up I hate this!!!
- better dynamic range sounds nice
- uhh, high res shot with the image processor removing the blur from moving subjects? how does that even work?
- new pro series lenses... I'm still happy with the three pro zooms I have. I'm out.
- new accessories: hld9 ofc, but comes with a keypad, nice i guess; new flash, new remote, waterproof case, blablablabla all rather boring.

Bildschirmfoto-2016-09-19-um-19.38.58.png

Panasonic press release:
Panasonic Develops the World?s First*1 4K 60p/50p Video RecordingDigital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera [DSLM] LUMIX GH5 Featuring ?6K PHOTO?*2
Cologne, Germany (September 19, 2016) ? Panasonic today announced that it is in development of a new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) Camera LUMIX GH5 that is capable of recording smooth, high-precision 4K 60p/50p and faithful 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video*3 for the first time in the world*1. It also features ?6K PHOTO?*2 which extracts approx.18-megapixel still images from ultra-high-quality video with approx. 9 times the pixel count of Full-HD. The new LUMIX GH5 is scheduled for commercialization and introduction to the global market in early 2017.
Panasonic has been committed to the development of innovative digital cameras under the theme ?Create a New Photo Culture in the Digital Era.? The world?s first Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera LUMIX DMC-G1 was introduced in 2008*4 and the subsequent DMC-GH1 achieved the world?s first Full HD video recording in 2009*5.
In 2014, Panasonic introduced the DMC-GH4, which realized 4K 30p/25p video recording for the first time in the industry*6. At the same time, Panasonic proposed a new and unique method of photography called ?4K PHOTO? which allows users to capture fleeting photographic moments that even the eyes cannot catch, by using super-fast 4K resolution video frames at 30 fps that can be saved as high-quality photos. As a result, the DMC-GH4 is highly acclaimed for its exceptional hybrid performance in both photography and videography by a wide range of professional users worldwide ? not only photographers but also cinematographers in the film production field, as well as emerging photo/video-hybrid creators.
By advancing Panasonic technologies, such as digital signal processing and heat dissipation, and packing them into the compact, lightweight body of a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, the LUMIX GH5 enables 4K 60p/50p and 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video recording*3, which has never before been achieved *1. With this unprecedented video recording performance, Panasonic aims to further capitalize on the strength that it has achieved in the film production industry.
In the LUMIX GH5, the conventional ?4K PHOTO? function is dramatically advanced to form ?6K PHOTO?*2which lets the user cut a still image out of ultra-high-quality approx.18-megapixel video with approx. 9 times the pixel count than Full-HD. Taking advantage of its high-speed, long-time burst shooting capability, spur-of-the-moment shots can be saved in beautiful photos with higher resolution that complies with larger-sized printing by substantially increasing the resolution from approx.8-megapixel(4K PHOTO) to approx.18-megapixel (6K PHOTO*2). Furthermore, approx.8-megapixel 4K Photo images can be captured at a super-fast 60 fps.
*1 For a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, as of 19 September, 2016 (Panasonic survey).
*2 ?6K PHOTO? is a high speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with approx.18-megapixel (Approx.6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that 6K image manages. The name ?6K PHOTO? is tentative.
*3 In 4K/30p, 25p, 24p, 23.98p video recording.
*4 For a Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera, as of 12 September, 2008 (Panasonic survey).
*5 For a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, as of 3 March, 2009 (Panasonic survey).
*6 For a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, as of 7 February, 2014 (Panasonic survey).

EDIT: I'm sold :|

Last edited:
That E-M1 II seems like quite the upgrade! Then again, it is only work in progress... Let's see how much of that they can deliver on time and working properly!

I can't wait to pick a used one up in a couple of years :p

I have 2 MFT lenses for sale (got rid of all my MFT gear for a Sony A7 system)

Panasonic Leica Zuiko 25mm f1.4

Rokinon 12mm f2.0 manual focus ultrawide angle lens.

Message me if interested.

Both lenses are now sold, thanks to everyone who messaged me making offers, they are now in the hands of a new owner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Uuuughhh, after reading a few (way too many of course) reviews and the camera now being more and more available, the GAS is strong with the E-M1 mk2. Somebody talk me out of it please! :|

Uuuughhh, after reading a few (way too many of course) reviews and the camera now being more and more available, the GAS is strong with the E-M1 mk2. Somebody talk me out of it please! :|
I won't, i encourage you to spend that money so we can benefit for free (reverse psychology).

Disclaimer: huge post, I shamelessly copied the entire press release, because why the hell not :D

neRBJu9.png

Panasonic LUMIX GH5 DSLM Camera Featuring the World?s First 4K 60p/50p1 and 4K 30p 4:2:2 10- bit2 Video Recording Function

Press Release said:
LAS VEGAS, NV (JANUARY 4, 2017) ? Panasonic has today announced the LUMIX GH5, the latest flagship model of LUMIX G DSLM cameras based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard. The new camera delivers a high-end, hybrid performance to photo enthusiasts and professional videographers looking to capture moments in 4K 60p/50p video and 6K PHOTO.
Defying all the general concepts of what a mirrorless camera can do, the LUMIX GH Series has reached a number of milestones with this introduction. Packing a host of innovative advancements in picture quality, response and performance into an unimaginably small-sized body, the new LUMIX GH5 opens the door to a new stage of photographic and cinematographic culture.
Unprecedented Picture Quality in the History of LUMIX Cameras
The LUMIX GH5 is able to achieve high-quality images with real-life details through excellent resolution, image rendering and color reproduction. Its new Digital LIVE MOS Sensor increases the pixel count by 25% compared to the GH4, from 16.05 to 20.3 megapixels, while also removing the low-pass filter.
The camera also comes with a new image processor Venus Engine, which achieves improvement especially in natural texture expression. The engine?s Multi-pixel Luminance Generation renders clear, sharp images by referring to a 9x larger area of pixel information during the de-mosaic process for precise detail reproduction. With Intelligent Detail Processing, the characteristic of every single pixel is analyzed to detect whether the pixel is located at a flat, detail or edge part of the picture. Optimum processing according to the characteristic of each pixel is then applied. This results in high-precision yet natural images with stunning detail suppressing false colors at its edges.
Also, Three Dimensional Color Control detects not only hue and saturation, but also brightness, and applies optimum control according to the value of each factor. This achieves rich color reproduction from shadows to highlights of the image. The conventional Multi Process NR (Noise Reduction) is upgraded to High Precision Multi Process NR. It boasts 4x the noise identification accuracy compared to the previous engine and preserves details even after the noise reduction process. As a result, photos can be clearly shot even at high sensitivity ISO values of up to 25,600.
The LUMIX GH5 also incorporates the 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) 23, which suppresses blurring in more powerful and advanced ways for both photo and video recording, including 4K
video. Combining an O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and B.I.S. (Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), it compensates for larger movements which were conventionally uncontrollable. The LUMIX GH5?s high-precision gyro sensor controls both the O.I.S. and B.I.S. compensation by studying the focal length and shooting conditions, making it possible to use a max. 5-stop slower shutter speed4. This is highly beneficial not only for wide-angle and telephoto shots, but also in adverse situations, such as at night-time or when shooting with one hand.
The world?s first DSLM camera that meets professional quality standards
The LUMIX GH Series created an epoch-making industry sensation by achieving outstanding video recording performance with advanced features that meet the needs of professional quality levels and standards.
With the LUMIX GH5, the signal readout speed has been accelerated by max 1.7x in the new Digital Live MOS Sensor, and the new Venus Engine processes signals at max 1.3x higher speed. This synergy realizes 4K 60p/50p ultra high-definition, smooth, video recording for the first time in a DSLM camera. It is also capable of internal 4:2:2 / 10-bit video recording, which is the color subsampling commonly used for film production, for even more faithful color reproduction5.
The high-sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine effectively suppress rolling shutter distortion and realize high-speed readout of full digital signals. This ensures an outstandingly high image quality for every single frame. In addition, the focal length in video recording is kept the same as that in photo shooting (no cropping).
Users can freely choose between MOV, MP4, AVCHD Progressive and AVCHD formats at a variety of frame rates, and there is no recording time limit for both FHD and 4K video. Professional users working globally can set the system frequency to 59.94Hz, 50.00Hz or 24.00Hz.
While ?Cinelike D? and ?Cinelike V?, which have similar gamma setting characteristics for film production, are available in Photo Style for video recording, the LUMIX GH5 also provides ?Like 709? for compatibility with HDTV. A paid software upgrade to support V-LogL video recording is also available.
In response to requests from professional users, the LUMIX GH5 comes with a Waveform Monitor and Vector Scope. It also embeds SMPTE-compliant Time Code either in Rec Run or Free Run count-up methods, which makes it easy to synchronize multiple video footage or sound sources in the post production workflow. Luminance levels can be selected between 64- 1023 / 64-940 / 0-1023 (10-bit). Synchro Scan mode suppresses flicker and Color Bars (SMPTE / EBU / ARIB Standard) are also available.
New AF system with advanced DFD Technology never misses a once-in-a-lifetime moment
The LUMIX GH5 comes with a newly improved Depth from Defocus6 and Contrast AF technology, which not only calculates the distance to the subject by evaluating two images with different sharpness levels, but also analyzes the form, size and even motion of the subject comprehensively. Thanks to the new Venus Engine, the time for measuring the distance to the subject is 6x faster, while factoring the distance into in-plane or in-depth is 2x faster.
The speed of sensor drive during auto focusing in photo shooting mode has been increased to 480 fps, which is 2x faster than that of the GH4. Consequently, the LUMIX GH5 realizes ultra- high-speed AF of approximately 0.05 sec7 and 12 (AFS) / 9 (AFC) fps high-speed burst shooting using a mechanical shutter in full resolution. By analyzing every single frame precisely, it achieves a maximum 200% higher precision frame detection with minimum motion detection error for higher tracking tolerance against moving subjects.
For even more precise focusing, the number of focus areas has been increased from 49 to 225. Users can create a group of focus areas depending on the composition and can control it easily with a new joystick located on the thumb position, without taking your eyes off the subject. This is possible even when using the LVF or releasing the finger off the shutter button.
If focus is not exactly as the user intended when the shutter is pressed, the LUMIX GH5?s Post Focus function8 enables users to select the specific focus point even after shooting ? particularly helpful in situations like macro shooting where severe focusing is required. In addition, the camera also features a Focus Stacking function. Taking a single macro photo with specific areas in focus can sometimes be difficult, Focus Stacking enables users to take multiple images of the same frame with different focus points. You can then combine them into one image with the defocus as you like.
The LUMIX GH5?s new 6K PHOTO9 function makes it possible to capture unmissable moments at 30 fps by extracting the frame with the best timing out of the 6K burst file (in 3:2 or 4:3 aspect) to save as an approximately 18-megapixel equivalent high resolution photo. 4K PHOTO has also been upgraded enabling 60 fps high speed capture in approximately 8-megapixel equivalent resolution. In 6K/4K PHOTO, three exclusive modes are available to choose from depending on the situation; 6K/4K Burst, 6K/4K Burst (Start/Stop) and 6K/4K Pre-burst.
By compensating the signal information between the frames, the Venus Engine makes it possible to apply Post Recording Refinement over the pictures to correct distortion and reduce noise when playing back or cutting images out of the 6K/4K burst file. As a result, the picture quality of 6K/4K PHOTO shot at high shutter speed in high sensitivity or those shot in panning are dramatically improved.
High mobility in rugged design for heavy field use
To be tough enough to withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX GH5?s main structure is composed of a magnesium alloy, full die-cast front/rear frame. Secure construction and the sealing of every joint, dial, and button makes the camera not only splash/dust-proof, but also freeze-proof down to -10 degrees Celsius.
The LUMIX GH5 is equipped with a double SD Memory Card slot compatible with high-speed, high capacity UHS-II for the first time in the LUMIX digital cameras. Users can flexibly choose the recording method either in Relay Rec, Backup Rec or Allocation Rec.
The LUMIX GH5 has a large LVF (Live View Finder) with a stunningly high magnification ratio of approximately 1.52x / 0.76x (35mm camera equivalent). The high-precision, high-speed OLED display features 3,680K-dot high resolution and 100% field of view. Adopting a static-type touch control system, the 3.2-inch free-angle rear screen in 3:2 aspect with 1,620K-dot high resolution achieves approximately 100% field of view.
Finally, the shutter unit is durable for approximately 200,000 releases.
Expandability, optional accessories, other features

• The LUMIX GH5 integrates Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi? 5GHz (IEEE 802.11ac) connectivity to offer a more flexible shooting experience and instant image sharing with easy operation.
  • The LUMIX GH5 is compatible with the new Battery Grip DMW-BGGH5. By using two batteries, one in the camera and the other in the grip, the DMW-BGGH5 extends the battery life for longer time shooting.
  • The optionally available microphone adaptor DMW-XLR1 is a plug-in type adaptor for XLR microphone to record high quality stereo sound.
  • To save power, the camera automatically enters sleep mode after detecting the eye is off the LVF sensor. Various shutter systems are available with the LUMIX GH5: A mechanical shutter with maximum 1/8000 sec, an electronic-first curtain shutter with maximum 1/2000 sec which can be used with flash while suppressing the shutter shock, and an electronic shutter without shutter shock with maximum 1/6000 sec. Firmware updates will add: Full HD 4:2:2 10bit video recording capability (scheduled for April 2017); 400Mbps 4:2:2 10bit All-Intra video recording in 4K 30p/25p/24p; Full HD, high resolution video recording in Anamorphic mode; Hybrid Log Gamma in Photo Style mode which enables popular 4K HDR video recording and USB tethering (all scheduled for second half of 2017).

1. The Lumix GH5 will be available (body only) in late March for $1999.99. For more information please visit LumixLounge.com. Panasonic is proud to share that the GH5 is a CES 2017 Innovation Award Honoree.

First Impressions at DPReview: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/movie-maven-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh5-first-impressions-review

(I sort of dislike Tony Northrup, but what the hell, this is probably the most complete video out there)