Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

Nice leather strap :p

It is, isn't it? :p
I even checked out their other offers, but that one just makes the most sense. I'm a little annoyed that the peak design anchor link connector won't fit through the opening of the... whatever they're called! damn, anyway, might attach it to the keyring thing of the leather strap, that should work.

well, oops :dunno:
Lovely, had any chance to test it's abilities? I have heard lots of people rave about it's speed and image quality. :)

Not really, no :( I've only tested it out inside at home a little, but at least the AF feels a lot faster than on the e-m1.1 (C-AF actually works during video and in very shitty lighting conditions) and the shutter noise and "feel" is very different (somehow lighter, but more satisfying). But I'll take it with me today and will probably go on a nice walk in the snow...
Anyway: the speed (i've tried the 15 and 60 fps RAW modes first, of course) is just ludicrous... problem is, I don't have a UHS-II card, so writing the buffer to the card takes ages (and the camera is locked up during that, which stinks)

Things I noticed, random ramblings:
- the perceived size (while in reviews called "beefier" than e-m1.1) is exactly the same as the old model. I'd say at first glance you'd not even notice the difference.
- the battery is HUGE (no joke, that surprised me)
- I have no issue with the fully articulating screen at all, I rather like it (people compain because of the mic/headphone ports, but that should work)
- new menus will take some getting used to, but they're no more complicated than the old ones
- for the life of me, I cannot figure out how I had my old e-m1.1 set up regarding Fn-buttons (and I'm too lazy to check)
- the fn-switch is the other way around, that is weird.

Oh god damn, that picture causes me too much anxiety. How am I supposed to blindly rely on those strap mounts ever again?

I don't know, it was fine when I was shooting with it the previous day, I just stuffed it in my bag and it was like that when I pulled it out the next day :-s I can even hear the retaining plate moving inside the body...

Honestly, I'm just lucky it didn't happen while I was shooting, I rely on that thing too much and sometimes let the camera hang from it when I need both hands... I should probably change that habit ^^'

I'm now checking with Olympus to see how much it would cost to repair, but the camera is deeply out of warranty by now and I also have a sticky front dial that I'd like them to have a look at... Let's see how much that will set me back.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this thread, but killpanda, did you get your camera fixed?

I recently had to send my E-M1 (classic) away for repairs. Had to replace a cracked screen, and the plastic ocular around the view finder as a part of the mounting that holds the eye cup had broken off in an accident. It cost me a grand total of about €150 to have it fixed, was only about €35-40 in parts, the rest was labor.

In other news, Olympus are about to launch the OM-D E-M1x, a camera to rival the Canon 1D-series and single digit Nikons.

E-M1X-front2.jpg

I wonder if it'll do better than the E-5 did way back in the day.

Sorry to bump this thread, but killpanda, did you get your camera fixed?

I thought about it but the service center's open hours ended up being quite inconvenient for me to go there, so I got a tripod mounted strap mount thingy instead:

qI0CdGx.jpg

I actually like it a lot more than using the side as I can carry the camera and shoot securely using either one hand that's available at that time.

I also got a Sigma 16mm f/1.4 that I put to good use during a trip to Kyoto:

FznaZBd.jpg

WZjFe16.jpg

I read a lot of mixed reviews on this lens, but I absolutely love it. The focal length works well for me and the out of focus rendering is nice and plentiful. It's a little on the heavy side and the E-M1 sometimes struggles to nail focus so you have to pay close attention to it, but for the price it's really nice.

I wonder if it'll do better than the E-5 did way back in the day.
Technically, not a very high bar, but I suspect it will.

The mFT user base today is much bigger than the FT user base ever was. this camera was also made as a result of feedback from their customers, what they wanted in a pro grade camera. I have been to event's with lots of Olympus OM-D users and a lot of the feedback on the E-M1 and the mk.II was that they wanted more and better grip with more real estate to grab. They are mostly nature and wildlife photographers, who spend a lot of time outside in all conditions, also when it's cold and you typically need to use thick gloves, or mittens, so it need to be possible to operate while wearing those.

It is also half the price of the D5 and 1DX mk.II, and with the selection of good, (relatively) light weight lenses like the Olympus Pro series as well as the Panasonic Leica's. Like one of the pro photographers who switched to mFT said, when he looked through his pictures from when he moved to digital 15 years ago, less than 3 % of his pictures were shot above ISO 3200, for him the D5 and D850 that he used gave him technically better results, but it all came down to chasing diminishing returns when he saw what he could get from the Olympus mFT-system at a fraction of the price, and weight of this full frame Nikon rig. And this is pretty much what most of those who have made the switch from full frame to mFT keep saying.

So I guess it's a good chance this will do better than the E-5.

It will also be interesting to see how the new 150-400/4.5 IS will do. Interestingly it also comes with a 1,25x teleconverter extending the reach to 500/5.6. Olympus has also announced a 2.0x teleconverter.

5247529758.jpg

I thought about it but the service center's open hours ended up being quite inconvenient for me to go there, so I got a tripod mounted strap mount thingy instead:

I also got a Sigma 16mm f/1.4 that I put to good use during a trip to Kyoto:

I read a lot of mixed reviews on this lens, but I absolutely love it. The focal length works well for me and the out of focus rendering is nice and plentiful. It's a little on the heavy side and the E-M1 sometimes struggles to nail focus so you have to pay close attention to it, but for the price it's really nice.
Ah, that's like what I did with my trusty old E-M5 a couple of years ago, the strap mounts started to loosen up, so I just bought an eye to fix to the tripod mount.

I have also made some changes to my equipment. I bought the 12-40/2.8 Pro and the 40-150/2.8 Pro about three years ago, but last fall I felt a bit bored by the 12-40, so I sold it and got a 17/1.2 in stead. That's a really sweet piece of glass, I love the results I get from it.

Last edited:
Forgot I started this thread. I moved on from Micro 4/3 mirrorless in 2016 and switched over to Sony E-Mount mirrorless, currently using both a Sony A7iii and A7Riii

So, the E-M5 mk III has leaked about a week ahead of launch, and here are the specs:
Sensor: Live Mos 4/3, 17.4 x 13 mm, 20.4 Mpxl, 4/3 format
Max Definition: [4/3] 5,184 x 3,888
Video definition: C4K (4096 x 2160 pixels, 24p, IPB at 237 Mbps), 4K UHD (3840 x 2160 pixels, 30p, 25p, 24p), 1080p (100p, 50p, 60p, 30p, 25p, 24p), stereo sound
Frame: Micro 4/3
Multiplier coefficient: 2x
Stabilizer: 5 axes on sensor stabilization
Sensor cleaning: Yes, ultrasonic filter (Super Sonic Wave Filter)
Case protection: Anti-dust, anti-run-off, -10 ° C
Wi-Fi & Bluetooth: with OI Share app; connected shooting with Olympus Capture Wireless
GPS / Manometer / Compass: –
Sensitivity: 200-25,600 Iso (Low extension to 64 and 100 Iso)
File formats: Jpeg, Raw (ORF, 12 bit), MOV and AVI (video)
Color space: AdobeRGB, sRGB43rumors
Focusing: Dual Fast AF: 121 points / cross points for phase detection AF; 121 points / AF with contrast detection. All targets, single target (normal / small), group target (5 zones / 9 zones / 25 zones), custom target 1-4 (AF area and adjustable increment)
Exposure mode: PASM, artistic filters
Exposure metering: Multi-zone Evaluative (324 zones), Center-weighted, Spot, Spot Highlights, Spot Lowlights; correction on +/- 5 EV by 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
Speeds: shutter with focal plane: 1/8 000 to 60 s, B, T, sync at 1/320 s; electronic shutter: 1/32 000s to 60 s
Burst: 10 fps (AF-C, mechanical shutter)
Self-timer: 2 or 10 s
Miscellaneous: artistic filters, HDR, timelapse, B-exposure with continuous visualization, Raw editing, focus peaking, Live Composite, focus stacking, high resolution
Flash: – (FL-LM3 external flash supplied)
Flash plug: Claw and sync socket
Flash control: Auto, red-eye, backlight, slow sync first or second curtain, manual, wireless flash control; correction on +/- 3 IL
Viewfinder: Oled 2.36 Mpts, 100%, 0.69x, 27mm clearance, brightness and color temperature correction, anti-flicker
Monitor: LCD multi-directional touchscreen 1.04 Mpts
Storage: SDXC / UHS-II 43r
Interfaces: USB 2.0, micro-HDMI, WiFi, microphone input, headphone output,
Supplied accessories: strap, USB cable, flash, battery, flash FL-LM3
Power supply: Li-Ion battery BLS-50 (about 310 images according to CIPA standards)
Dimensions W x D x H: 125.3 x 65.2 x 49.7 mm
Weight: 414 g (SD and rechargeable)

This will most likely not set your world on fire, it's more like a "best of mFT" to be honest, but it is a very good update for someone like me, who will be updating from an E-M5 classic and E-M1 classic (from 2012 and 2013 respectively). This will get me a much better sensor, much better image processing, much better image stabilization (with sync IS), and much better wireless connectivity with other devices. If it then offers some features on top of that, like hand held high res and/or live-ND I will be very happy. Also relieved that they kept the articulating screen rather than reverting to the vulnerable tilt-design from the classics. It's an almost guaranteed buy for me, so I will check and see if I can get this (in black) in a decent(ish) deal with the 12-100 Pro, if not, I may have to make do with the 12-200, or even the 14-150II if that can be had dirt cheap.

All in all, this looks very promising, except the price, that is my only real dislike here if it turns out to be accurate. Especially bleak with today's exchange rate for the NOK. I could part finance this with selling some of my under-used gear though, may have to do that.

Edit: Also the E-PL10, for those who are interested in something like that...

Last edited:
Forgot I started this thread. I moved on from Micro 4/3 mirrorless in 2016 and switched over to Sony E-Mount mirrorless, currently using both a Sony A7iii and A7Riii

How do they compare?

I went to a photo store today to check out the E-M5 mk.III. Ended up preordering a kit with it and the 12-200mm. :ROFLMAO:

Seems like a nice upgrade, coming from an original E-M1, but then I keep seeing some deals on used E-M1 mkII...

I think I'll just keep my E-M1 for the time being ^^'

So, I picked it up last week. Very nice camera. Sadly I haven't had the time to test it out properly, but it looks promising so far.

My only big dislike is the included strap, that is the same as the E-M10 mk.III, and it kind of cheap, so I took the one from my old E-520.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpg
    IMG_3451.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3452.jpg
    IMG_3452.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 155
My E-M1 keeps undressing itself.

IMG_3579.jpg

That plus the slow and limited WiFi (which I do use a lot since I handle my photos on my phone more than my computer these days), are making me wonder about upgrading to a Panasonic G9 in the future.