Anyone here still into cartoons?

I'm assuming that cartoons and animated series are more or less the same thing. Because Spider-Man (mid-90s?), X-Men, Batman & Superman were all amazing.

I was actually just watching a couple of trailers for Wolverine & the X-men as well as Hulk Vs. Wolverine. I'm not that biggest fan of the way it's animated, but it's a step up from the rubbish I've seen the last few years. There was a movie out not that long ago called "Superman Doomsday" (I think)....it was good.
'

I watched loads of cartoons as a child. I think the ones I really liked was quite a bit of the old Looney Tunes, most of the H-B library, Captain Caveman, Thundercats, GI Joe, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, Darkwing Duck, Beavis and Butt-Head, King of the Hill, South Park, David the Gnome, and quite possibly my all-time favorite animated series to ever air on Nickelodeon: The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Someday I hope to see that last one on DVD. *sigh*

Some of the old Looney Tunes cartoons were awesome, to the point where they'd be considered grossly un-P.C. today. My younger brother had some public domained Bugs Bunny ones on a cheap VHS when he was a kid. One cartoon featured Bugs, Fat Elmer (Elmer was fatter in the older toons...I guess he lost the weight with all that running around trying to kill da wascally wabbit), and a bunch of Mounties singing "Dixie" in blackface. There's also quite a few cartoons that ended up being banned due to being considered too racist.

My all-time favorite Looney Tunes moment? One with everyone's favorite swine:

[YOUTUBE]mu_auIX1nEc[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Well the usual Futurama, South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons are nice, but as a little kid I really liked the Looney Toons, my personal favourites are Elmer and Bugs.

hell, yes!

Was watching cartoon network just the other day, Tom & jerry, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, these are all the shit!

As for new stuff, aside from Johnny Bravo and Dexter there isn't that much stuff I like.
Does Ren & Stimpy count or is that too old already? (like me :p)

Was watching cartoon network just the other day, Tom & jerry, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, these are all the shit!
I was unaware Cartoon Network still showed "old" cartoons; I thought they offloaded them all to Boomerang so that they could show more garbage.

^they do, very rarely though

It seems that most of the newer cartoons that are on today are crap. For me, Johnny Quest was my favorite.

One that is frequently on at our house is Phineas and Ferb, on the Disney Channel.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoFERECnYno[/YOUTUBE]

Oooh, ooh, new people to ask! Does anyone from UK remember a cartoon that used to air about 15 years ago? It was really etheral lots of walking through clouds, and one episode I remember there was a huge chess set where the people controlled an individual chess piece and subsequently died if the piece was taken? The end credits song was in french I think.

I can see the bloody thing in front of my eyes, but can't recall anything else about it unfortunately. Thinking back and postulating, it seems like some girl's dreams, but I'm not sure.

The problem with cartoons nowdays is that it's just too easy to make them. All the old classics took a lot of time and clearly had a lot of effort put into it. Even the Flintstones, living in a really long hallway filled with couches, still managed to look like someone paid a little attention. Modern ones...don't, and all the ones that people mention as still being good are, not coincidentally, the ones that look like some effort was put into them.

I miss Exo Squad so very very much :cry:

exosquad_landing.jpg

Earlier this year I downloaded all the episodes of Beast Wars for me and a co-worker. Rewatched the entire thing.

When I was young I watched Saturday morning and after school cartoons religiously. I have fond memories of Eeek the Cat (and Terrible Thunder Lizards), the various comic based shows (Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, etc), Pinky and the Brain, and more I can't remember off the top of my head. Of course I have been a Simpson's fan since the beginning. The great part about the latter is re-watching it now that I am older and getting more of the comedy.

At one point I watched a bit of anime, but the bulk of it is trash not much better than some of the terrible stuff Hanna Barbara released in the 70s. Of all the anime I have been exposed to the only good one I found was Cowboy Beebop.

I have fond memories of Eeek the Cat (and Terrible Thunder Lizards)...

Kumbaya! I loved Eek! the Cat. I never knew until several years ago that the guy that wrote and directed BOTH Better off Dead and One Crazy Summer also created Eek.

Here's one of my favorite episodes: Eek!pocalypse Now:

[YOUTUBE]Wq_-ADVG4LQ[/YOUTUBE]

ETA: Holy shit, how many cartoons can get away with spoofing A Clockwork Orange? :lol:

[YOUTUBE]dFSumAIRBMI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I'm eternally grateful to my mom for recording some early cartoons and holding onto old VHS tapes of Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, and especially my favorite, Tom and Jerry. She recorded them 20 years ago with vintage commercials and everything, and I'll have to dust out the VCR and check them out again.

Though new animation has its gems too; I've been rewatching Futurama again that I still loved as a kid and it was definitely ahead of its time. Lots of clever in-jokes that I don't understand until I look it up on Wikipedia. :D

Even slightly newer shows like the Batman/Superman Adventures were sweet, which are great reference points now that I've become a huge Batman fan (because Superman is a giant pussy). Anybody remember Batman Beyond? Or when Batman goes into the future?!!!

While on the subject, I saw Who Framed Rodger Rabbit for the first time in years the other day and enjoyed it just like I did when I was 5. It's that rare mix of something that both kids and adults can really enjoy. It's not surprising they've failed every time they've tried to recapture that magic with shit like Space Jam and Loony Toons Back In Action.

:x My favorite movie from 4th grade. I won't have you badmouthing it!

Did anyone else watch Toonami circa the Moltar era and the original TOM era?

I used to watch many great cartoons when I was a kid.

X-Men
Spiderman
Batman
Rugrats (newer ones suck)
Hey Arnold!
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls
Pokemon
Dragon Ball/Z

God, I miss some of them.

Last year I actually watched the entire Dragon Ball series: That's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT. Took me a whole 2 months to finish all 493 episodes + all 22 movies.

I might do that again with Dragon Ball, or another series I liked.

Ugh, I struggle to consider DB/Z/GT a true "cartoon". It's anime, and after the Frieza "5 minutes = 12 episodes" saga, it stopped being a decent anime.

Ugh, I struggle to consider DB/Z/GT a true "cartoon". It's anime, and after the Frieza "5 minutes = 12 episodes" saga, it stopped being a decent anime.

Well in all fairness most viewers have died of epileptic seizures before that point in the series.

Spongebob. Thanks.

And Crayon Shin Chan.

A1607-6.jpg