Anyone into 3D printed stuff for their car?

NormL

Car(s)
Ariel, Audi S4 conv, V10 Treg
I 3D printed some fenders for casting into CF a couple of years ago. 6" sections glued together. First time I tried it and it definitely had some issues.
119lifhdg1r8k8t3k9jp.jpg

I had enough fun with that I bought a very large CNC, which I am still figuring out. I have kept at printing though

How bored and into 3D printing do you have to be to print a phone case with the Ridge Race Track on it in perfect scale (I am a Land Surveyor)

I made an Atom shift know for my Atom

and this is the latest silliness

I didn't see a 3D printing thread, so, is anyone else caught the disease?

My desk at work, yeah I am not that serious of a guy.

Roadmice Ford GT, 3D connection 3D mouse, 3d printed 1/4 scale 1965 Wild T3 surveying instrument with legs

A surveyor bought some of my models on Shapeways and painted them (a skill I don't possess.) Sure wish I could paint ...

The printed snap together kit, working scope and base

Yes, I am working on a snap together working Atom

Thanks for your comments, no other printers out there?

I have tried metal printing, but, it is so expensive that these two are it

Yeah, outside of industrial use here I haven't seen it. No places like those in the US where you go an print your stuff up.

I'm liking the metal prints. I'd like to get in to 3D printing but along with not being able to afford a 3D printer I don't posses the modelling skills to get to the printing stage anyway.

I use Shapeways as they use very expensive printers and they have to worry about them being outdated, not me. I have found them to be very cost effective. They ship world wide, you just upload a 3D model. The stainless Atom symbol fob was roughly $20 and it was a glue and stainless deposit print that was later infused with bronze. 70% stainless and 30% bronze. My wife's Atom pendant was around $40 for two (I designed them as earrings and was told later they were pendants) and are gold plated brass which is a five step process

Building a Prusa i3 as we speak working on the electronics side of things right now. I'm taking my time and should be done soon though.

i think 3D printing is awesome!!!
i just don't have any use for it...

Last edited:
That's not bad, but a bit rich for my customers.

Exactly, you have to look at it more as a prototype to make molds from, but, costs will come down. It costs me from $15 to $28 to print a phone case dependent on the amount of plastic, I mark them up to make a few bucks. I could mold some and probably do OK with some of them, not something I want to do though. There just isn't enough room to make money on them without casting though. The S3 truck tread is a lot of plastic and the iPhone 4 car tread, not so much. The Washington State with the "Maple Leaf" is a lot

They end up being novelty and I have done an absolute ton of them, if someone really wants one they will buy ignoring that they are expensive. I am finding the bigger use for me is for improving my business by printing things we can use to be more efficient, such as converting everything to LiPo batteries from NiMH

I've been starting to gain interest in 3D printing as we have two printers on campus, theres also a local company that offers 3D printing/scanning, I don't know the costs though. I'd like to make some parts for my cars, but I can't think of anything I need.

Custom camber plates! :p

Already have those for both cars. Also, being made out of plastic, I don't think they'd last long...