Anyone know how to...

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Three Triumphs and a Volvo estate
Record direct from your soundcard?

I used to be able to do this with Audacity, it'd record anything playing on the PC like music from YouTube and other websites (Ah, back when I had no idea what a torrent was...).
But I can't seem to get it to work any more, in fact I can't seem to get anything to record from the soundcard at all...

Any ideas?

iirc you have to change a setting in your soundcard for a record what you hear setting, i had this issue while recording off one of the tg clips, i toggled one setting in the audio control panel and audacity was picking it up

By "direct from your soundcard" you mean record whatever your computer wants to output?

In XP you could open the sound mixer, switch to recording, and select the main stereo mix as recording source. Then any recording tool would record whatever your PC wants to output. I'm sure Vista/7 have a similar setting, no idea where though.

All I get through Stereo Mix is static, if something is playing it will pick up a momment of that and loop it, getting higher in pitch until I stop it recording...

I'm just not sure why I used to be able to do it (although it was years ago) but now can't...

That means whatever is selected as to-be-recorded is also put out through the stereo mix. Turn down everything you don't need in the output mixer, maybe you'll catch it that way.

That means whatever is selected as to-be-recorded is also put out through the stereo mix. Turn down everything you don't need in the output mixer, maybe you'll catch it that way.

Or tell the recording program you use not to put out what it is recording.

Furthermore, there are programs you can use to extract the sound from flash files (like on youtube) without the quality loss of piping it through your computer's sound system. As i'm on a mac, i can't name names, but i'm sure this kind of thing exists for PCs as well.

Last edited: