Anyone using the Hella 100w 9005 bulbs in their low beams?

awdrifter

Just wondering if anyone are running the Hella HLA-H83165271 HB3 9005 12V 100W Halogen Bulb (I've found them for $8 a bulb). I know if I want to run the 100w bulbs I'll probably need a relay harness to handle the extra current, but the harness is only $20 so no big deal. What I'm concerned about is the heat, will the 100w bulb melt the reflectors? If not, I'm going to get these when the Sylvanias burns out.

What car are you planning to run this in, and what are your reflectors made of?

I want to try this in my Eagle Talon (and if it works well, I'll upgrade my dad's Accord too), I'm pretty sure the headlight reflector and housing are made of plastic. That's why I'm afraid they will melt or deform.

BTW, these are not those fake PIAA 55=100w bulbs, they are really non-street legal bulbs that draws 100w.

I don't know about the Accord, but I'm pretty sure the Talon's housings *will* melt.

Add better auxiliary lighting instead.

Thanks for the info. I can't find any info about anyone using it as low beam either, but some people do use it as high beam and have no problems. So I think I'll just use the 65w 9005 in my low beam, and maybe use these for the high beam only.

isn't there a reason they are not legal ? don't they blind the opposite lane traffic ?

TRAFFIC IS EITHER WITH YOU OR AGAINST YOU, MAN.
IT'S MY WAY OR THE DITCH ALONGSIDE THE HIGHWAY.

isn't there a reason they are not legal ? don't they blind the opposite lane traffic ?

It's non-street legal because it draws more than 65w (that's the max DOT allowed), not neccessaribly blinding other people. Plus, legality is not really a big concern. Where I live they don't check for lighting during the yearly inspection, just a smog check. But anyways, I don't want to melt my reflectors, so I'm only going to get these for the high beam. Thanks for the replies.

They use a wattage because that's easier than worrying about lumens. Quit trying to be an asshole and use regulation lights that won't blind oncoming traffic.

Well, so far the 65w bulbs works fine. The US headlight laws are way behind the times. OEM HIDs puts out more glare than my 65w bulbs anyways.

Last edited:
I flash any asshole who's lights I think are too bright. I don't care if it's their low beams or it's a new car or what. You don't have a right to go around blinding people.

Then you probably flashed a lot of SUVs that have oem HIDs.

Ok, what jackass neg repped me for supposedly neg repping them in this thread? I haven't neg repped anyone for weeks.

awdrifter I'm looking at you.

Sry about that, check your pm.

OEM HID's have a different setup than normal lights with super bright bulbs in them. The OEM setups dont reflect nearly as much because they dont have to, but the housings that use more conventional bulbs have to amplify that lighta s much as possible. So when you put high output bulbs into old style housings, YOU BLIND PEOPLE. STOP IT.

Well, I'm using 65w 9005s in my low beam and I love it. I definitely won't go back to the 55w 9006s. Like I said before, the US headlight laws are really outdated. There arr OEM HID cars with reflectors. You can argue all you want, but the stock reflectors are able to control 1700 lumens. The only reason the car manufacturers don't put 9005 in the low beams is because of the stupid DOT laws that limits the wattage 55w.

Last edited: