Anzac Day

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Tomorrow is Anzac day for those who don't know (25th of April), which is the day that we commemorate the sacrifices made by the men and women of the Australian and New Zealand defence forces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

A nice touch by Telstra (they've been doing this for a few years now I think) is sending a message of support to the men and women currently serving, I urge Australians (and others) to send message of good will to our troops

http://anzacday.telstra.com/event

I was at the schools ANZAC celebrations last year (during the weekday before ANZAC day, school kids head over to the Shrine of Remberance and have a service) and nearly got put on TV. But I told them not to, though some of the school kids got put on the news on ABC. And apparently, some of my friends were on the news too while laying down the reefs near the eternal flame.

I was at the schools ANZAC celebrations last year (during the weekday before ANZAC day, school kids head over to the Shrine of Remberance and have a service) and nearly got put on TV. But I told them not to, though some of the school kids got put on the news on ABC. And apparently, some of my friends were on the news too while laying down the reefs wreaths near the eternal flame.

FTFY
unless your friends are really tiny marine organisms of course :grin:

^ That's a lot of wreaths (reefs)! :blink:

On a more serious note, I'll be heading to the cemetery tomorrow with my mum and grandmother. My grandfather, who passed away in 2002, was a WWII veteran, and was in Darwin when it was bombed by the Japanese. He was a army ambulance driver. I remember him telling me about some of the horrible things that he saw while doing his job, he was pretty open about it. He wasn't highly decorated or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure he helped save the lives of quite a number of injured civilians. None of my family fought in WWI that I know of, most of that generation were too young at the time.

Mmm My Granddad was also a WWII veteran, he fought in Africa mainly. He'd never talk about it at all though, he would always just say the war was a big waste of time.

Last edited:
wirraway.jpg

mustang-painting.jpg

Uh the strangest of days...

Grandfather at Kakoda, Gona, Buna etc (2/27, 7th Div, inf)

Nasty stuff, he never did get over it. He had problems till the day he died. Never told my Dad anything just the grandkids. The Kakoda thingo they keep trying to build is kinda nice but it doesn't show all the horror....all the horror (and the political screw over by the seppos)

Great Uncle at Milne Bay (inf), permanent phosphorous burns etc

...Screw war...

I didn't meet most of my relatives. They're listed on the wall in the Hall of Remembrance in the Australian War Memorial. My grandfather was the only one that came home, but unfortunately died before I was old enough to hear the stories.

Last edited:

More CAC WW2 aircraft...

If only....see we Australians can design and build with the best of them....

CA-15_from_Lincoln.jpg

Oh and a restored (and flying) one of these lives near my house in Adelaide....you can hear the massive supercharger whine over everything....a great aussie lashup...hell it sounds like my VL Commodore (the lashup bit)

Boomerang_%28AWM_0408%29.jpg

Happy ANZAC Day to all you Kiwis & Aussies :cheers:
Enjoy all the beers, barbies and fireworks.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

Mate, never say Happy ANZAC Day. Nothing happy about it.

That's why we all simply say Lest We Forget.

Yes, because ANZAC day is a happy occasion, typified with pissups and fireworks....

You guys really fought hard at Gallipoli. I remember learning about this in my History lessons not so long back, and I remember being overcome with admiration of how you all threw yourselves into the front line in the face of commanding incompetence. So I know I'm a bit late, but huge respect to the ANZACs.