Are there any software that can remove the background music leaving only the vocal?

awdrifter

Are there any software that can remove the background music leaving only the vocal? I know there are program that can remove the vocal from music, is there any program that can do the opposite? For example I want just the dialogue from a video clip, is there a way to remove the background music? Thanks.

as far as i know it isn't possible, and if it is, it will be very expensive. not really sure how a computer would tell between the vocals and the music. now someone prove me wrong...

I agree, and I think that the software which removes the vocals only supresses them to a limited extent with some equalizing.

Anyone else reminded of the "super huge zoom on images" thread? :mrgreen:

Regards
the Interceptor

Whats the program that removes the vocal? I'm interested in doing this...

Whats the program that removes the vocal? I'm interested in doing this...

have you read the rest of the thread? :rolleyes: we have said that there isn't one as far as we know :idiot:

CSI with it's magic computers isn't real, folks.

Theoretically it is possible.

Sometimes there's an easy way if you have a stereo signal and either music or voice (usually voice) is mixed symmetrically into each channel. Then you just subtract one channel from another, fiddle around a bit more, and you have about half of the music (quite crippled, thats for sure) and about no voice at all. Then, obviously, if you subtract this from the channel this was obtained from, you'll end up with voice and some music leftovers which could be vanished with some more fiddling around, including selective eq.

Actually i've seen insider research applications which are able to automatically determine main instruments (obviously, generally limited to percussion and some rough arpegs for others), calculate bpm and more. Now this data could be used for more intelligent approach, however that's not easy at all and i really doubt there are available apps.

have you read the rest of the thread? :rolleyes: we have said that there isn't one as far as we know :idiot:

And have you been reading this thread carefully, the person who started this thread wanted to remove background music and leave the vocals.... I would like to do the opposite of this and he said that it could be done.:lol:

As the others have already stated, unless you have a multi-channel recording, you can only go so far in suppressing the frequencies of music whilst also leaving the vocals, which may also overlap several frequency bands.

And have you been reading this thread carefully, the person who started this thread wanted to remove background music and leave the vocals.... I would like to do the opposite of this and he said that it could be done.:lol:

oops, ok then, must have skimmed the first post.:mrgreen:

Yes, it's possible, but far from perfect. My sound card, for example, has a "karaoke" feature that attempts to remove voices by canceling out frequencies that typically carry the vocals in a song. Obviously, there can be (and usually are) instruments on the same frequencies, which will also get canceled out. Really, it depends on the song, the singers, the recording balance and a host of other variables specific to any given song.

Audacity also has a sort of work-around technique to remove vocals that relies on common, but not always used, recording balances.

As far as I know if you could get the original background music you can almost "subtract" it to leave perfect vocals. I think this system was used to great effect by the Allies in WW2 to encrypt messages by just adding a set white noise track which could be subtracted to decrypt the message. It was completely uncrackable.
So basically you would need a perfect recording of the original background music exactly the same as it appears where you want to remove it. Even then I would suspect it is very difficult.

Yes, it's possible, but far from perfect. My sound card, for example, has a "karaoke" feature that attempts to remove voices by canceling out frequencies that typically carry the vocals in a song. Obviously, there can be (and usually are) instruments on the same frequencies, which will also get canceled out. Really, it depends on the song, the singers, the recording balance and a host of other variables specific to any given song.

Yep, far from perfect. I went to college for Audio Production, and unless the music is mixed with the vocals perfectly in the center or one of the side channels (or on an entirely different frequency range, which is very unlikely), there's going to be some bleeding.

Hmm ok then, the family recently purchased Adobe Audition 1.5 and my dads good at production. He was looking for a possible way to do this yesterday and it was just a coincedence that i saw this thread

If it's not possible to remove it completely, what about turning down the music and emphasis on the vocal? Is there any ways to do that? I will remix the vocal with other music, so hopefully that music will cover up the original music. Thanks for the info so far.

Hmm ok then, the family recently purchased Adobe Audition 1.5 and my dads good at production. He was looking for a possible way to do this yesterday and it was just a coincedence that i saw this thread

I have adobe audition 2.0, and it's a great program, but like a lot of people have already said, it's close to impossible to pull this off successfully, depending on the way the song is mixed and the frequencies used.

If it's not possible to remove it completely, what about turning down the music and emphasis on the vocal? Is there any ways to do that? I will remix the vocal with other music, so hopefully that music will cover up the original music. Thanks for the info so far.

You just have to get a good audio editing program, like Audition or Pro Tools (or Audacity if you don't want to spend any money), play around with it and see what you can come up with. It all depends on the song.

Last edited:
I have adobe audition 2.0, and it's a great program, but like a lot of people have already said, it's close to impossible to pull this off successfully, depending on the way the song is mixed and the frequencies used.

You just have to get a good audio editing program, like Audition or Pro Tools (or Audacity if you don't want to spend any money), play around with it and see what you can come up with. It all depends on the song.

Which one is the best for this job? It doesn't have to be free. Thanks.

Whoops, I misread the thread title :p

He wants to remove the instruments and leave the vocals. Although, I think the theory is pretty much the same. Yes, you can remove some of it, but won't be very good.