Are you afraid of spiders?

Are you afraid of spiders?

• Total voters

Goose+

The ultimate man or mouse question; are you afraid of spiders? :|

I have to admit that anything bigger than about 2CM scares the living crap out of me :mrgreen: I often wonder how some of you cope in Australia with all those giant, poisnous ones you have there.

Trapdoor spider (thank god they're not where I live);
[YOUTUBE]CejvAFAfpyk[/YOUTUBE]

Australia isnt that bad. Some snakes when the conditions change. Ran into a Kangaroo once that was bloody scary. A Koala chased me once, they make a hideous noise. Chased by a magpie in my thongs/sandals/flip flops down an entire street. Went to the toilet in an outback dunny and had a redback spider run up my leg.

At least I havent had to suck the venom out of someones love bits.

I am afraid of spiders but if it has to be killed or picked up I can do it no problem. I think its when you randomly get something unidentified run accross you is bloodyy scary.

In New Zealand they dont even have bloody snakes!

You havent experienced anything until you have witnessed Australian fauna.

I think there need to be more options, like Jesus Fucking Stig Christ Yes!!!

Nothing scares the everliving shit out of me than spiders.

Depends what sort. I'm okay with most except for Redbacks and Funnel webs (a spider which will actually go out of its way to hunt you). Fortunately I've never seen a Funnel web as they arent that common in Sth Aus and I hope I never do.

Huntsmans are benign and rarely pose any sort of threat and I usually grab a Tupperware container to remove them outside of the house.

No.
But I respect the ones that I know can kill/paralyze/maim you with one bite.
I stand in awe of them and observe them in their habitats.

And then I squash them all, equally. Hideous creatures they are!

Though they do get rid of (flying) insects that sometimes get inside the house, such as some bees and wasps, so I sometimes let them live for a while ... and then I squash them.

Spiders are awesome !! Especially huge, furry tarantulas, they're like cool, wicked hardcore hamsters. Of course we don't have spiders here, so I haven't had to deal with them on a daily basis like most aussies.

The only animal in the world that gives me the creeps are poisonous snakes. I am not exactly afraid of snakes, but the fact that I just do not know what to do with one, if I ever came across, let's say a king cobra or a black mamba makes me not like them very much. Let's say I am walking outside and then there it is: a few feet from you lies a black mamba. It's just sitting there, still, doing nothing. Now what the hell am I supposed to do, because clearly it knows I am there. Do I run, do I stay still and hold my breath, what if it starts to move towards me and for fucks sake if it bites !! Bears, wolves etc. are fine, I can deal with those animals. A scorpion or a spider I can just whack/flick off my arm if I see one crawling there, but snakes don't work like that; they bite before you can throw it away, deadly quick sons of bitches.

But snakes....god damn I hate snakes. Not scared but hate - I hate everything I don't understand and I don't friggin understand snakes: what do they do, how do they behave etc. People who have snakes as pets are retarded as far as I'm concerned. Snake is one of the very few animals that can not be tamed therefore making them unpredictable all the time and unpredictable = dangerous for me.

Last edited:
I think there need to be more options, like Jesus Fucking Stig Christ Yes!!!

Nothing scares the everliving shit out of me than spiders.
I second that! :unsure:

The only animal in the world that gives me the creeps are poisonous snakes. I am not exactly afraid of snakes, but the fact that I just do not know what to do with one, if I ever came across, let's say a king cobra or a black mamba makes me not like them very much. Let's say I am walking outside and then there it is: a few feet from you lies a black mamba. It's just sitting there, still, doing nothing. Now what the hell am I supposed to do, because clearly it knows I am there. Do I run, do I stay still and hold my breath, what if it starts to move towards me and for fucks sake if it bites !! Bears, wolves etc. are fine, I can deal with those animals.

Most wildlife experts suggest you simply have to stand still and the snake wont take an interest in you. They also like to point out that snakes will be more afraid of you than you of it. I've never been in a situation where I've come in close quarters with a snake. I saw a big brown snake some years ago on a golf course but he wasn't too interested in my presence and I definitely didnt feel all that inclined to give chase. The other time was when a snake catcher came to give us a talk on encountering snakes in the course of duty as a firefighter. He brought along a few specimens (red belly black snake, brown snake, etc) which seemed about as pleased to see us as we were to see them, which is to say not very. You just have to be careful, in summer I try to avoid long grass where I cant see my feet, logs, scraps of metal, etc. It's rare you'll find many snakes in urban civilisation here though.

Yeah! Them is scary.

I hate all kinds of spiders. I don't even have a problem with bugs and stuff, let alone all reptiles. Just spiders, no matter how big they are and whether they are poisonous or completely harmless. They just creep me out endlessly, and I may jump whenever I see one. It has become better over time, but I still feel very uncomfortable whenever a spider is around.

I have been looking into finding out where arachnophobia comes from, since I don't have a problem with most of the other insects and animals. It seems however that noone was able to find a reason for that yet.

Australia isnt that bad. Some snakes when the conditions change. Ran into a Kangaroo once that was bloody scary. A Koala chased me once, they make a hideous noise. Chased by a magpie in my thongs/sandals/flip flops down an entire street. Went to the toilet in an outback dunny and had a redback spider run up my leg.

Drop-bears, don't forget those - nasty pieces of work, there's a reason none of our tourist literature mentions them.

Spider's don't bother me. I can probably think of worse things that would probably do a better job of scaring the crap out of me... i usually follow the Rimmer Rule "don't mess with anything that has more teeth than the Osmond family."

Drop-bears, don't forget those - nasty pieces of work, there's a reason none of our tourist literature mentions them.

Dear god I had never heard of them but after reading about them...jesus :shock:

EDIT: Wiki says they're fictional...is than an Australian government conspiracy? :p

EDIT2: I feel like I'm on the shortend of a joke....

Last edited:
or what about Monkeys? anything that manages to scare James May has got to be very frightening...

Hate spiders. Hate them. Doesn't matter if they are tiny, big, small, furry, long-legged, short-legged, bandy-legged - I hate them all.

I know they supposedly do good stuff like eat mosquitoes and whatnot, but they still creep me out and I almost always kill them if I am within reach of something that I can smack them with.

Although thank god most of the spiders in Singapore are tiny... unlike my brother who's currently in Perth. :\

I have been looking into finding out where arachnophobia comes from, since I don't have a problem with most of the other insects and animals. It seems however that noone was able to find a reason for that yet.

Maybe it's because they are simply evil.

I am a girl not a man I am allowed to be afraid of spiders.