Are You Athletic/Good at Sport?

Are You Athletic/Good at Sport?

• Total voters
I wish I had time to lift a lot more often than I do right now. I feel like I read a lot more about lifting than actually lifting :/

I used to be good at sports. Now I can't see quite as well and my depth perception has become skewed so I'm not so great anymore. But I still do ok.

It all depends on the sport of coarse.

I am one of those people who have the grace of a gazelle, could play any sport I wanted to, but I cannot be bothered. Much happier being a nerd.

I'm not competitive but I love a good jog or bike riding. I'm good at dodging in dodge ball but not at throwing. I'm terrible at baseball so I gladly stand in the outfield staring at the sky. I love kickball, consider myself a good kicker not a good catcher. Yeah give me the option to jog and I'll take it but offer football or anything else and I'll slack off.

Kayaking is a blast, we have a man made rapids downtown that I'm at pretty much every weekend it's open. It's only a class 3 on a very good day, but it's fun. Don't have the space for a kayak right now, so I usually solo it in a canoe which is not nearly as fun as a kayak. Do you do whitewater or something else, I imagine sea kayaking would be great in Singapore.

A Class 2/2 Star means I have to stick to lakes/reservoirs/river, no sea or whitewater rafting, since they are only allowed for 3 stars/Class 3. <_< And I always have to rent the kayaks from the shops, which are OK, and cause lots of itchyness.

However, there was once when I was allowed into the sea under supervision in a solo kayak, it was superb! :D The water was calm (on the above) but extremely salty, and I capsized rather often, but in all, there's nothing better than the sea, it's ultimately fun, with all that free space to kayak about and "unknown" dangers. Sea kayaking is recommended for kayaking enthusiasts! :mrgreen:

So you need a sort-of license to go kayaking, that stinks. I was sea kayaking this past summer for the first time in Maine, I really liked it, kind of like backpacking on the sea. Didn't capsize actually I found it pretty stable, only problem was the lack of lumbar support, my back was dead after 5 or 6 hours of paddling.

Definitely keep it up and get that 3rd star, I can only imagine the great places a kayak can take you in that neck of the woods. Definitely get some open water experience first, once you can learn to read the swells, the rocks, and get some basic hydrodynamics you should be in good shape. :wink:

I stink at it all.

Sometimes I play golf, which I'm almost okay at, I guess (against my dad, anyway). I love a good hike, though I'll get winded after a bit because I'm really out of shape right now.

I somehow managed to fail swimming lessons...twice. Ouch. All I can really do is float on my back for a while.

I'm "ok" at sports, not great but not completely hopeless.....

/is being totally optimistic about his abilities

One or two sports I'm good at, the rest I really do suck. I literally can't play badminton at all, I was too afraid of the water as a child to learn how to swim, and my parents never taught me how to ride a bike.

One or two sports I'm good at, the rest I really do suck. I literally can't play badminton at all, I was too afraid of the water as a child to learn how to swim, and my parents never taught me how to ride a bike.

wtf??? there are people who don't know how to ride a bike?? :shock:

makes me wonder...
did you ever try it? did you ever drive sth like a scooter? can you keep them upright, or do you simply topple over?
being able to balance it, is that sth which has to be learned, or simply sth which isn't fully developed yet at the age of 4 (when most kids learn to ride a bike)?

Last edited:

Hey; I'm exactly the same as you are; only I was given the opportunity to learn and I tried every time I could but somehow it was cut short in the middle

wtf??? there are people who don't know how to ride a bike?? :shock:

makes me wonder...
did you ever try it? did you ever drive sth like a scooter? can you keep them upright, or do you simply topple over?
being able to balance it, is that sth which has to be learned, or simply sth which isn't fully developed yet at the age of 4 (when most kids learn to ride a bike)?

When we moved here I was 4, and we were too poor to afford a bike. My mum and dad only moved from China to take the position of students at the local university. We weren't British citizens then, so we weren't eligible for benefits either.

I used to get all my toys from the charity shop, and most of the time they costed 2 pounds max, occasionally there was a jigsaw puzzle for 5 pounds. Back then, owning something like a games console felt like having my own private swimming pool. (except I couldn't swim.)

Plus, bikes are less of a necessity here than they are in China.

Since then, I've been too lazy/embarrassed to ask them to help me to learn. My friend did once lend me his bike though to have a go at: so I can confirm - I can't balance a bike.

Last edited:
Hell, no. I'm uncoordinated as fuck, have no confidence, am too lazy, and don't like letting my team down when I suck. I don't follow sports, don't care about the BCS, don't play Fantasy Anything, don't bother keeping track of stats, don't know who plays with/for/against who, can't predict who's going to win anything, and just don't care at all. The way people react when I tell them, it's due to a deep psychological problem with me, if anything. But sports (even motorsports) don't really matter at all in my life.

And I'm a frat boy, too. :blink:

I'm really into biking and skiing, however, if those count.

Last edited:
I consider myself halfway decent at soccer (football). I played for my university last year as a freshmen, but I've moved on to better things..

The way people react when I tell them, it's due to a deep psychological problem with me, if anything.

Same here! Every day at my work everyone yammers on about the latest scores, especially when baseball season is on. It is like being trapped in a mobius strip. Like you, I just don't give a damn.
And I also do not let the latest sport scores literally affect my life, attitude and mood, like it does for my boss. And he is a Chicago Cubs fan. :?

And I also do not let the latest sport scores literally affect my life, attitude and mood, like it does for my boss. And he is a Chicago Cubs fan. :?

He must be a deeply unpleasant person. :cry:

And ironically enough there's one guy in our fraternity who's obsessed with the Giants, but a lot of people find him irritating. He's a nice guy alright, but he's exactly the sort of stereotypical loud, obnoxious sports-obsessed cheap-beer-swilling psycho that I can't stand.

I'm fairly fit and active, and I can put up a decent attempt at most sports. I do a lot of cycling during the non Summer seasons and will average roughly 200km a week, which is a long way from professional standards, but adequate for my needs.

The only issue I have with my general fitness are occasionally recurring bouts of what I believe to be Piriformis syndrome, which, due to it's varying severity, can be annoying.

I played a bit of netball and tennis at school, and I also did a bit of sailing with a local club for a few years - and then the man-made lake (Lake Wendouree) dried up, followed by all the other sizable lakes in the region! I don't have the money / time / bravery (waves freak me out a bit!) to tow a dinghy down to the coast to do any open water sailing or know anyone who does, so I had to stop that, unfortunately.

I don't do anything now, and I'm pretty uncoordinated generally. I just walk whenever it's convenient to try and stay reasonably fit (I'm not toned or anything, but I can walk up the steepest hill in town at fair pace without puffing, for instance). I try to do a few stretches / yoga exercises each morning to wake myself up. It really helps if I've slept in a funny position all night and I wake up with a dead arm / sore back / neck or something. But, that's about it.