Are you in favor of a breakaway F1 championship ?

Are you in favor of a breakaway F1 championship ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EsPpY

Four days to the result... I pose this question.

As much as the topic goes, which of you fellas would like a true F1 championship without the meddling and politics and revenue rows where racing is the focus and not the boardroom battles ?

I for one, am for it. Break away. Dorna can do what the FIA did as can be seen with MotoGP, and I feel, yes, things would be definitely better without Bernie and Mosley.

So what say you guys ?

Thing is, I don't think anyone is blatantly in favour of a breakaway. Not even the teams are. Personally (and I think I'm speaking for most of us here) I would much prefer an FIA Formula 1 where everything works as it should and the teams and the FIA are happy.

But if that doesn't work, I'd much rather have a breakaway than having to listen to Max's shit every two days...

I'm neither for nor against a breakway series. Ideally I'd like to see the current debate resolved with both FOTA and the FIA meeting each other half way and reaching an agreement. I dont think FOTA's terms are unreasonable and the new entrants can still compete for the time being as FOTA have stated they're willing to provide technical assistance. I also agree with some of the FIA's proposals (the budget cap is a good idea and something I've always felt should have been implemented).

Mosley is on a power trip and probably feels he's being attacked, and the only way he knows how to deal with it is to go on the offensive in return. The teams must stay united on this. I dont think Friday 19th will be the final curtain call, but we'll have to wait and see.

Someone in the other thread (sorry I dont remember who) layed down some reasons why a breakaway series is doomed to fail eventually when some teams realise that it's still going to be just as costly as the F1 program, they still wont be any nearer to the front of the grid, and without the 'F1' name as a drawcard for potential fans/consumers of their product, the novelty will quickly wear off. In addition to that, someone is going to have to negotiate TV contracts, advertising, circuits to race on, logistics, etc, etc, etc. It's a mammoth undertaking and will realise some very steep initial setup costs that will be difficult for a team such as Toyota to justify to their board given their current financial situation.

Last edited:
I would prefer that there was no breakaway, but I don't want to see a two-tier championship with Max Mosley still lording over the FIA either, so no answer from me either. :dunno:

Last edited:
no because there too many question marks over this subject. F1 is here now so they must try to save it.

It seems most people, as well as F1 teams and drivers are already in favor of new breakaway championship. Crisis is a great time for innovations and opportunities, this seems to be their time.

I really don't like the idea of such a low budget cap in F1. It's supposed to be expensive as hell, its F1! Only the best teams should be allowed to participate, which are the teams that can afford to put a competitive car on the track. Really, who would you guys rather see, Ferrari, or Campos Racing? So yeah, I'm all for the break away series. Not to mention the fact that they may take advantage of a certain unused track in Montreal which I'd love to see in action again.

Thing is, I don't think anyone is blatantly in favour of a breakaway. Not even the teams are. Personally (and I think I'm speaking for most of us here) I would much prefer an FIA Formula 1 where everything works as it should and the teams and the FIA are happy.

But if that doesn't work, I'd much rather have a breakaway than having to listen to Max's shit every two days...

What he said.

A proper F1 is what we want, but that is varying degrees of not-possible when the sport is being shaped at the whim of a megalomaniacal fascist whore-mongering lunatic.

In recent years it has been a large degree of not-possible, now he's just pushed too far too many times and it has become the full not-possible. Something has to give, and if it's the teams, the not-possible-o-meter will just continue pushing through the red. Or something.

If they cannot reach an agreement, then it's best for FOTA's interest to have their own seperate series.

A breakaway series wouldn't work...

You'd have all the manufacturers teams (who after all have to look after the bottom line) who would slowly fizzle out.
Toyota, have the 1st loss for years.
Renault depend on the French government.
BMW seem financially OK for the moment, but the car is pants, so maybe the bottom line can be trimmed a little...

In the end you'd have Mercedes backed McLaren and Fiat backed Ferrari, mega bucks teams willing and able to win at all costs (literally). The financial barrier to new entries would be impossible to surpass.

It would end up like a modern day DTM race (seen one recently ?, only Mercedes and Audi filling a whole grid of cars, they have to let the old season's cars compete just to make up the numbers, though they rarely win).

Is that what you really want ?

What we need (read "I want") is a open series where anything goes technology wise, Fan car... go for it, active suspension, bring it on. Pictures of naked women stapled to rear spoilers with novelty nodding dogs tacked on top to distract other drivers... fine.

BUT If Ferrari and McLaren are allowed the budgets they are used to having, they would win anyway, the racing would be as boring as it has been recently and I'd be able to sleep in more on a Sunday, nothing worth getting up for.

However, a budget cap, More than ?40M, (?60M sounds about right) would reign in the "money no object" teams and provide a smaller, less daunting barrier to new teams. Along with a more open set of rules to promote original thinking and bring back the F1 I think I love.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Spanky as much as the next guy. And the FIA has really got on my tits for a long time now with selective vision and inconsistent policies, The FOTA teams are right about that bit, I'll give them that one.

I just think the FIA vision of F1 fits in better with my vision of what it should be like.

Anyway just thinking of the high pressure merchandising overload of a pure Ferrari and Mclaren series is giving me a headache already, silver and red don't go together well.

I'm blatantly and unilaterally in favor of a breakaway. The teams don't want to stop racing. They'll figure it out.

How about breaking away and just competing in sports car racing?

I'd like to see a breakaway series... but with a budget cap, just to stick it to Max and the FIA. It's not the rules that are the problem, it's the way they're being forced upon the teams with no room for negotiation. How much has Max budged since this whole debacle started? Not an inch.

Even if I were in favor, I don't think it would happen. With the finances the way they are you'd probably see most manufacturers simply throwing more money and effort into their other existing programs, such as Ferrari's Le Mans cars or BMW's WTCC cars.

I want it to stay F1 but with a huge overhall of its management team. However that would never happen and if thats the case a breakway is a must. I am totally against the new rules as F1 needs to be the most expansive and lavish motorsport in order to stay the pinnacle of motorsport. Under the new budjet F1 will be just an international champ car series.

It's not the rules that are the problem, it's the way they're being forced upon the teams with no room for negotiation. How much has Max budged since this whole debacle started? Not an inch.

Max has moved a hell of a long way. It is the teams that seem unwilling to make compromises.

I don't think FOTA would be able to stay united if they started a breakaway series where they made the rules themselves, it wouldn't take long for each team to start disagreeing and a big shit fight would start.

Straightforward: I do not want to see a breakaway series. There are a variety of reasons for this and the two most important ones are that a) the american open wheel split showed that a split into two competing serie is not a good idea and b) I don't see the manufacturer run series work on a long term.

FOTA have lost the war, they just need to get over it. Max has enough able replacements lined up. FOTA just walked over the cliff like leemings.

How can the manufacturers go back to their boards and say they refused cost reductions and want to increase spending so they can start a new series.

FOTA have lost the war, they just need to get over it. Max has enough able replacements lined up. FOTA just walked over the cliff like leemings.

How can the manufacturers go back to their boards and say they refused cost reductions and want to increase spending so they can start a new series.
Lost the war? How do you figure they've lost anything, besides the right to compete in a series with rules they had no interest in following?

I would say the FIA have lost the war, in reality. The "lemmings" apparently have plenty of options of where they would land once they jump off this cliff.

Last edited: