Ariel Atom 500 V8

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Following Caterham's RST-V8 Levante, Ariel of course couldn't just let it be...

Atom2050020V8-L.jpg

Pistonheads.com said:
BREAKING NEWS: ARIEL ATOM 500 V8 ANNOUNCED
New Atom has double power to weight of a Veyron

Ariel has announced the latest version of the Atom ? the Ariel Atom 500, powered by a small V8 engine.

With over 500bhp in a 500kilo package the Atom 500 will boast one of the highest power to weight ratios ever for a production car.

The Atom will have over 1000bhp per tonne (compared to a Bugatti Veyron?s 521bhp/tonne) and will be built in limited numbers.

The 500 started life as a one off special project with RS Developments in 2007 and features the Russell Savory designed 2.4 litre V8 engine coupled to a 6 speed sequential Sadev gearbox.

Developing over 500bhp at 10,000rpm the supercharged engine features all alloy construction, 5 valves per cylinder and a dry sump.

The gearbox will have flatshift capability, a paddle gearchange with manual override as well as launch and traction controls.

The new car is recognisable by twin rear intakes for intercoolers and will feature a unique colour scheme for chassis, wheels and bodywork combined with carbon fibre panels and carbon fibre aerofoils.

Other features will include chromemoly aerofoil wishbones, integrated function steering wheel, Alcon 4 pot caliper brakes and Dymag magnesium wheels.

Simon Saunders, Director of Ariel, said: ?This is an interesting project for us and an experimental departure from what we normally produce.

'For a few customers the Atom 500 will be the ultimate expression of lightweight performance and represents the outer limits of what is achievable in a road registered car.

'We also use this sort of project to explore the possibilities of how we can improve our standard cars.

'The Honda engined production cars already combine all the elements that we want in an Atom and by pushing the envelope to these sorts of extremes we can further improve the breed.?

The Atom 500 will be produced in Somerset at the new Ariel factory with the first car available from Spring this year.

Prices have not yet been finalised and expect performance to be earth shattering?
Source: Pistonheads.com

That's more like it. Like this one much better than the caterham.

OMG! You need to be a racing driver for this baby me thinks.

"The Atom will have over 1000bhp per tonne (compared to a Bugatti Veyron?s 521bhp/tonne). ..."

Well, it has comparable ammounts of wingedness to some smaller formulas and those handle pretty well. Unlike the Caterham I think this has potential.

GREAT CAR!

what i was wondering tho...mpg? :(must be horrific

i'd prefer this over the caterham :thumbsup:

I think I prefer the caterham on looks. Plus those atom seats look like the moulded plastic ones I used to sit on in school!

well, i assume this handles better, it

a) has spoilers
b) has the engine on the rear wheels

I'd kill 400 small innocent children to have that car in my life

I love the Atom, but with V8 powwwer? Its just....perfection*

* I am aware that it lacks a roof, windows, doors, an interior and is nowhere near perfect

Last edited:
So after the review, we should expect Clarkson to look a bit like Skeletor?

Following Caterham's RST-V8 Levante, Ariel of course couldn't just let it be...

Atom2050020V8-L.jpg
O.M.G. !!
Looks better than a Caparo T1 probably costs less too... is "fast enough" :|
I wanna. Yes, I fucking wanna.

I'd kill 400 small innocent children to have that car in my life

I love the Atom, but with V8 powwwer? Its just....perfection*

* I am aware that it lacks a roof, windows, doors, an interior and is nowhere near perfect
WTF you talking about?!
IT IS PEFECT!!

Erk... awesomeness... numbing... brain... can't... stop... ogling it... *include a fap or two*

Damn, I want that one bad. Come to think of, that's the sort of thing I could marry if it was allowed :hump: