Ariel Atom allowed but Caparo isn't?

The Radical SR8 got around in the quickest time, and that is almost a full inch lower to the ground. The Caparo has a ground clearance of 2.8in and the Radical is 1.97in.

exactly, which is why the Radical, once on the power board, was removed as well...

exactly, which is why the Radical, once on the power board, was removed as well...

To be specific, the SR8 was never on the power board to begin with. I wasn't talking about that track at all, but the Nurburgring.

roight, well the discussion in this thread was mainly about the powerboard... and of course you can drive just about any car round the ring if you know what you?re doing and, more importantly, know where all the little bumps on the track are... but put any halfway normal (and I?m assuming here that someone crazy enough to buy a caparo is going to have more than just a basic knowledge of how to drive) person on that track in a caparo , and he?ll tear it to shreds ;)

As they said, their rule is not whether it is road legal, but whether it can go over a standard British speed bump. Which the Caparo can't, while the Ariel can. Simple.

And if you saw the show, shouldn't you have been listening aswell? As in listening to Clarkson saying exactly what I've just posted.

I bet your mother has some "standard British" bumps I can roll right over. Clarkson never said that. He said speed bumps, but... Provide the episode.

I bet your mother has some "standard British" bumps I can roll right over. Clarkson never said that. He said speed bumps, but... Provide the episode.

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure everyone heard it on the show right after Clarkson took the car off the board.

we get the point already

we get the point already

:sleeping:

roight, well the discussion in this thread was mainly about the powerboard... and of course you can drive just about any car round the ring if you know what you?re doing and, more importantly, know where all the little bumps on the track are... but put any halfway normal (and I?m assuming here that someone crazy enough to buy a caparo is going to have more than just a basic knowledge of how to drive) person on that track in a caparo , and he?ll tear it to shreds ;)

Yea I know, I didn't make that part clear. Ferrari apparently doesn't like testing cars on the 'ring because it's too bumpy for them. But then race cars are probably lower and more prone to damage. But being completely devoid of knowledge about suspensions and having never been to the track I can't really judge the validity of it.

That's kind of a lame rule. Since when is the Power Lap Board about practicality?

It's not the same as saying it can't hold golf clubs. What good is a track-car that's road-legal if you can't drive it to the track?

I guess the places I've lived in California and Arizona aren't littered with speed bumps like the rest of the world.

Regardless, there are a few places where I even scrape the hell out of my PT, so I think it's a bit pointless. Any car with less ground clearance then my truck isn't road practical, apparently.

Now think - the council spray speed bumps around the place, the response from the well to do is. ... Buy an SUV. I scratch my head at times wondering about out town planners - dense or what. Now if the greatest threat to civilisation is global warming then they should be doing things like getting rid of speed bumps to try to persuade people it is OK to drive normal cars to drop the kids off at school.

Id take the Atom over the Caparo anyday. Much more afforadble too, and still as quick as an Enzo.

I guess the places I've lived in California and Arizona aren't littered with speed bumps like the rest of the world.

Regardless, there are a few places where I even scrape the hell out of my PT, so I think it's a bit pointless. Any car with less ground clearance then my truck isn't road practical, apparently.

Hooray, im not the only one with a PT! :lol:

Reactions: TC

california has its fair share of speedbumps, but what they have thats much worse are steep curbs coming in and out of parking lots. you constantly have to drive your car out at an angle if its lowered, otherwise the front bumper constantly scrapes the road if you pull out straight ahead.

california has its fair share of speedbumps, but what they have thats much worse are steep curbs coming in and out of parking lots. you constantly have to drive your car out at an angle if its lowered, otherwise the front bumper constantly scrapes the road if you pull out straight ahead.

Yeah, those are what get me more then any speed bump. Even on my car with it's stock ride hight, I need to take it slow as not to scrape anything. But once you know where they are and how to avoid them, or drive over them safely, it's not a problem. I don't see how driving a Caparo could be any worse then a Zonda or a Ferrari Enzo, in those cases.

Zonda Enzo can raise the nose ;)

Plus about the atom it is way more user friendly Tom Ford took an atom from england to the Arctic Circle some time ago, i read it in Top Gear magazin.

A speed bump (in British English a speed or road hump, sometimes colloquially a sleeping policeman) is a traffic calming tool designed to slow traffic or reduce through traffic. A speed bump is a bump in a roadway with heights typically ranging between 3 to 4 inches (7 to 10 cm). The length of speed bumps are typically less than or near to 1 foot (30 cm); whereas speed humps are longer and are typically 10 to 14 feet (3 to 4 m) in length.
wikipedia

Now think - the council spray speed bumps around the place, the response from the well to do is. ... Buy an SUV. I scratch my head at times wondering about out town planners - dense or what. Now if the greatest threat to civilisation is global warming then they should be doing things like getting rid of speed bumps to try to persuade people it is OK to drive normal cars to drop the kids off at school.

Couldn't agree with you more. The British authorities mentality with regards to street and road planning is stuck in the stone ages, and is going backwards day by day. I don't blame people anymore for buying a 4x4 here in London, if anything you need one just to get over these huge f****ng speed bumps.

I drive a mk1 MR2, not exactly a Caparo or Atom but still pretty low compared to your average euro box, and I'm afriad to go more then 10mph when approaching a speed bump. I've had several suspension/steering issues come up in the past year or so and I'm pretty sure all these speed bumps have contributed to the problem. The other problem I have with speed bumps is becuase they force me to slow down then accelerate back up to speed, I end up using more fuel.

So, considering you'll either have to buy a 4x4 to cope with speed bumps or burn more petrol like I do, I think it's safe to conclude speed bumps are contributing to global warming. ;)