Ariel Atom allowed but Caparo isn't?

I deal with HUGE speedbumps with my fwd 5 door liftback just fine. wtf are you people on about?

wikipedia said:
A liftback is a car body style in which the cargo space (trunk or boot) is accessed through a tailgate that extends up to the higher end of the C-pillar and includes the rear window. Liftbacks have either fastback-like rear ends, which are significantly sloped compared to more vertical hatchbacks, or are notchback-shaped. A good example of a "fastback-shaped" liftback is the 5-door Ford Mondeo, while the Daihatsu Applause is a prominent "notchback-shaped" liftback.

basically, it has a long ass with a huge boot and the back window opens with it.

4101_550_ii_mitsu_sraz-121_800_x_600.jpg

I deal with HUGE speedbumps with my fwd 5 door liftback just fine. wtf are you people on about?

When you drive a car with a sporty suspension set up, those speed bumps feel a lot worse.

so instead of getting a car with normal suspension you need a 4x4?

Some people think along those lines. If a normal suspension is better then a sport suspension, then an offroad suspension MUST be better then a normal one, right?

At least that's the way some people are, judging by the large number of SUV lumbering around.

Some people think along those lines. If a normal suspension is better then a sport suspension, then an offroad suspension MUST be better then a normal one, right?

At least that's the way some people are, judging by the large number of SUV lumbering around.
I doubt most people even think that far...

I think it runs more along the lines of:
suv = BIIIGGG
BIIIGGG = GOOOOOOD

wikipedia said:
A speed bump is a bump in a roadway with heights typically ranging between 3 to 4 inches (7 to 10 cm).

i know of one speedbump that's at least twice the height. I just might go for a drive tomorrow with my cam rig.

basically, it has a long ass with a huge boot and the back window opens with it.

Oh, you mean a hatchback, that's what we call it here in blighty. ;)

And yes, as someone has already mentioned, having a car with a sporty suspension means you can't approach those speed bumps at 'normal' speeds

no, a hatchback is different, it doesn't have a long arse and a big boot, it just cuts downwards.

a liftback looks like a saloon, but when you open the boot, the back window will open too. there's a huge difference between the 3 types.

Last edited:
no, a hatchback is different, it doesn't have a long arse and a big boot, it just cuts downwards.

a liftback looks like a saloon, but when you open the boot, the back window will open too. there's a huge difference between the 3 types.

My mistake. Although something like a Mondeo is still commonly referred to as hatchback here.

Wiki states the 5 door mondeo as the quintessential liftback. ;)

Wiki's such a great source of information...:rolleyes:

Anyhow, Skoda Octavia's boot opens like that too and they call it a hatchback. I think liftback is a term coined by automotive aficionados who've nothing better to do. ;)

Wiki states the 5 door mondeo as the quintessential liftback. ;)

Yup, which is why I mentioned it. Mondeo's probably shifted more numbers here in the UK then in any other country, yet I have never once heard it referred to as a 'liftback'. ;)

Well, i differentiate between the 3 and you can't deny there are obvious differences. You can call it a hatchback, if you want, but a hatchback denotes a small vehicle, and the mondeo or the carisma are anything but small. They have the luggage capacity of a saloon, if not more.

I love how a non-native speaker is teaching us English :D I have never come across the word liftback before. Guess the Slovenians are really the masters of English today.

The Ariel Atom is also a better car then the Caparo, because of the problems the Caparo currently has.

In your opinion. Caparo all the way for me. Don't care that it is expensive or unreliable or whatever. All I care that it is completely and utterly spastic.....and I love it.