Armed Assault II

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
So now that AA3 has surfaced, rolled over and begun bloating (and smelling), I decided to see what was up with ArmA 2 since I knew that was in development. Well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhS4DuML5Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KK6Fo3Y0AU[/youtube]

:blink:

arma-ii-20090518115221060.jpg

arma-ii-20090227030459686.jpg

arma-ii-20090227030528763.jpg

arma-ii-20090227030547653.jpg

arma-ii-20090227030544434.jpg

arma-ii-20090420042218745.jpg

I believe the term "holy shit" is appropriate. :thumbsup:

Due out next week apparently.

Last edited:
I played OFP religiously back in the day, I haven't found a game offering the same level of tactical depth and brilliant game design since. Maybe my memory is skewed after finally findinga game I didn't suck at and being rather successful in online leagues, but it's my all-time favorite Game.

ArmA was somewhat of a disappointment to me however. It didn't really offer anything new or felt like an improvement, more like OFP with a not so good campaign. Maybe my expectations were too high after having to wait so many years for it.

I hope ArmA2 turns out to be what I hoped ArmA would be.

Its available for pre-order on Steam now, and apparently a demo is due out within the next week or so as well.

Im very tempted to pre order it, but I want to see how it runs on my system first. "Holy Shit" is appropriate indeed, those graphics, with those view distances, are going to blow up my PC. I hope I can at least run it on half decent settings.

Words "epic battle" could be an understatement for those videos. Have to wait and see how it will run and how badly unplayable it is, apparently the German version was quite buggy.

it requires quite the beefy pc to run maxed out w/ AA and AF turned up. and the aiming is horrid in the game from what i've seen :p. you can see videos of people struggling to aim in the game. you have the crosshair on someone, you're prone, and you hold your breath and still miss the shot. AI is getting better with each patch

Its got some kool weapons/vehicals/planes/helicopters in it :D good graphics. and you get used to the robotic sounding teammates after some time... so I've heard

Last edited:
Frogfoots? SWEET!

The problem with largescale shooters is map design, anyone know anything about the level design in this game?

The problem with largescale shooters is map design, anyone know anything about the level design in this game?

arma-ii-20090501110714336.jpg

"* Reality check: Bohemia Interactive's standard 225 square kilometers of highly detailed sandbox landscape, modeled with stunning detail and precision and using real-world geographical data, covered by 235 megapixel of accurate aerial map (15.3602 pixels) and more than 1 million objects. This game is a true environment master piece, never seen before in first person shooter type games with 81 weapons and 136 vehicle models created to an exacting real-world schematics with extreme precision, including 350 kilometers of roads, 50 cities and villages full of life. "

Does anyone actually know when is the Europe release date? Wikipedia says it was 19th, sitated source gives nothing, Steam shows 30th for their version and their own website doesn't give any dates what so ever. Haven't seen such bad marketing in ages, but I guess it's understandable if it's buggy like Empire Total War for example, which should become playable tomorrow after 4 months it was released! Gaming industry, and especially PC gaming is so fucked up.

Looks like the demo is coming out this week, maybe Monday or Tuesday.

Here is the source:

ohara @ ARMA2 Forums said:
We are thinking about releasing patch tomorrow. Its quite complicated, because we need to have same version of patch and steam master. So its mean also close steam version tomorrow. In that case, we will probably postpone demo to beginning of next week, because we are not able to build and rellease all that together.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1315592&postcount=103

those videos are from beta's right? the map doesnt look particularly interesting and the graphics are definately nothing special at all. the only awesome thing is the sheer amount of stuff going on

The gun fire at the end of the barrel is just horrible. I thought we moved on form that kind of effect 10 years ago.

I played ofp to death, lost hundreds of hours to that game, maybe thousands. I got ArmA but never got into it, seemed too buggy and the immersion just wasn't there. Looking at ArmA2 I think I'd need a majpor upgrade to consider playing is so sadly I think I'll have to give it a miss.

Demos out on Steam

and probably other places too

I just downloaded it, I shall now proceed to blow up my computer

As far as I can tell it's just ArmA with a new coat of paint. It's really impressive but I think it's just a bit too hardcore for me.

My friend got it, and he persuaded me to get it. I gotta say, it took a day or two for it to catch hold, but now I love it. It's fantastic. The atmosphere is really eerily lifelike. When the bullets start flying I genuinely fear for my life for a split second.

The editor is really amazing, too. It takes like 10 minutes to set up a huge battle.

The campaign is almost unplayable, it's so broken. And it runs like crap. But everything else is swell!

Yeah, I bought Arma 2 a few days ago for $25 on steam, and its a pretty awesome game. There's a lot to learn. Multiplayer coop is amazing if you're on a good server and know what the hell you're doing.

My name is Gabkicks if anyone wants to add me. The graphics are very good and very detailed. Though there are some glitches I've noticed.

Can someone explain to me how to get the support chopper to return to base after its picked you up? or to make it go to a specific position? I am playing through the campaign and I am stuck.

It's tricky. You have to go to the map and click a position, but sometimes the support menu closes so you have to re-open it while in the map.

Can someone explain to me how to get the support chopper to return to base after its picked you up? or to make it go to a specific position? I am playing through the campaign and I am stuck.

After boarding the chopper select it through the radio command menu (support -> ...), bring up the map and click on the point where you want to go. It's basically the same commands you used to call the chopper in the first...

Started a new Arma Thread.. Posting here instead.

Making this thread as an outlet for people who aren't dazzled by blood covering your eyes when you are shot in the foot, ie COD-Flamers need not apply..

All Youtube Results Click Here

ArmA2 is Bohemia Interactive's Combat Simulator. You can look at it as the rFactor to Call of duty's "GRID". The Graphics are exceptional but you need exceptional hardware to use them. The map is 256 square Kilometers with no loading. That is 9 miles by 9 miles for anyone not willing to do math.

If playing a full CT "Capture the Island" your looking at a minimum of 4 hours. You may also be looking at a 64 man server. 32vs32 Russian vs American with each human player being able to "by default - no mod" control 12 (twelve) ai soildiers. With mods more then 20 are possible per human.

Arma Modding Website Click Here

There is an array of weapons to choose from with realistic ballistic calculation and penetration. My friend even keeps a Range guide on his desk for sniping purposes.

Vehicles are insane. Each vehicle has several positions for either humans or your AI. Light armored vehicles and Heavy Tanks as your bases are upgraded. The aircraft can't really be counted as "simulation" level of difficulty but, they are not easy to use. They include Helicopters and both VTOL jets along with standard jets, a C130 and the A10.

You can get this game off steam $50 or find it online for ~$25usd.