As TG fans, are we expecting too much or too happy with less quality?

I do think that because a lot of us are into cars, we criticizes stuff that is perfectly good entertainment but not like the last episode was, a sort of proper car show. If you make a show just for people on this forum it won't be that popular, they've got to make a show that will make people happy, I think Top Gear does well at that.

I think it will be interesting when the American version comes out and people start to compare, I think then we'll realize how lucky we are to have Top Gear even in its less than perfect current state. This admittedly is a real long shot, but what if the American version puts a new blood into it and people start saying the American show is better. That would be a real switch.

^ I agree completely with the first part, people may start to compare and realize TG:UK is better (because there's no way A will beat UK in my mind) but then again a lot of people might not even know about TG:UK. I know I didn't know the office was British first until I read it on here, albeit I'm not much of an Office fan anyways.

There's a simpsons version of the finalgear forums called nohomers.net

They take apart every episode of the simpsons and rate it and set it against other episodes in "battles" and see which one was better.

I quite like to think we're a more mature and settled down version of that, where we don't criticize TG too much for some of the less exciting episodes, but I'm sure there will be a few that do.

I could just be regurgitating my own opinion so I'll just carry on. TG is a break from the norm, a break from life, a way to just sit back and relax and watch a fantastic show that's been running for so long and has garnered so many fans. It's an entertainment program that's also somewhat educational, and has definitely refueled my passion for cars. These days I love to just sit back and watch. Of course earlier on I made a stupid thread called "Richard Hammond's body language" but you can forgive me for that, I was naive and new and it didn't really represent what I felt about TG anyways.

I don't expect too much. I understand how hard it is for them to keep making up new challenges and things for people with 0 attention span and a minute love for cars. I really just want them to thrash around the latest and greatest of toys and tell me what they think of it. That's all really. Everything else is just the icing on an already delicious British chocolate cake.

I should point out again that the major fan base of TG is split by the entertainment and car factor, which is why many opinions differ.

I would prefer the car factor.

I could care less about the entertainment. From watching the older series. The cars and their opinions are entertaining. The rest is fluffer

I once said to my friend: "I think that the next season is gonna have a hard time beating the last one!".
I feel that, this far, I'm right. Season 10 had 10 episodes and it sure was a great season!

But yeas, we are probably overestimating the power of the directors and writers and so on. But yet, they have a HUGE budget and 100's of millions of viewers!

Also: I watch Top Gear for it's very funny and they (somewhat seriously) review awesome cars! They used to have things like "letters" segments as well as "great deals" and such (But that was only for england so I guess they removed it since they have viewers all over the world.).

I definitely don't watch Top Gear for SIARPC :p

Last edited:
Some of us may be a bit too critical of our favorite show, but in the end, we're always happy when it's back. We may complain, and gripe about 'this wasn't done right', or 'the news was boring today', or, and we're all guilty of it, 'the guests today were crap.' But we'd still rather have a crap day of Top Gear than a good day of anything else. Yeah, we can be a bit too critical, but then again, we love it, and would we really try to change it if we could?

You know what, after seeing last nights episode, and hearing about what's happening next, I'm sure some people here are just being negative just to annoy the faithful fans.

Why do this? Why try to get people upset about something they enjoy?

If you don't like it, don't watch it, STFU and GTFO. Your input means nothing.

:D There, I feel better now.

Why would anyone be negative just for the sake of pissing people off? They'd just be waisting their time!

^Because it's the internet. It's something idiots like to do. They see a group of people enjoy something and want to try and ruin it or get that group angry. And when that group of people does defend themselves, the instigators say "You take it too seriously, that's why I did it."

Well, so what? WTF does it matter to that person if someone takes something so seriously? Live your own damn life and stay out of theirs.

^Because it's the internet. It's something idiots like to do. They see a group of people enjoy something and want to try and ruin it or get that group angry. And when that group of people does defend themselves, the instigators say "You take it too seriously, that's why I did it."

Well, so what? WTF does it matter to that person if someone takes something so seriously? Live your own damn life and stay out of theirs.

I guess you're right! Anyway, I tend to believe that they (trolls, as they are called) are not registered to this forum.

I agree

I agree

I agree with you 100%, YOU SAID IT PERFECTLY.

I like Top Gear. Simple as that.

I like some shows better than others but in the end I still like it. It is like a good friend. Some weeks you have more fun with them than others, but you still like them, and you miss them when you don't see them for a while. And I would never be critical of a friend because they may not be more and more fun every week.

I think the whole TG crew try to make an enjoyable show for us every time. Some of the shows miss the mark for me. But even those I usually find something I liked.

I have never thought I wasted my time watching a single episode and that sums it up for me.

The thing is, we've become spoiled by a LOT of really good episodes : the American drive, the African Challenge, the North Pole expidition, the Caravanning holiday, the cheap car challenges, convertible people carrier, amphibious cars,...

It's getting harder and harder to come up with new and more exciting stuff, and at the same time we, the viewer are getting all 'been there done that, boring, NEXT'

Also, analyzing TG to death isn't helping either. I for one know that some stuff is staged and don't want to argue to people why they did it (because its funny, what else?)

Someone actually gave me negative rep for making this thread. Probably one of those negative trolls that has been exsposed for what they are. They didn't even have the balls to tell me who they are. Figures.

And NooDle, well said!

I love TG and love the way the series has gone, love every episode and every segment.

But I have one concern - that the series is becoming a bit formulaic.

Let me explain.

Episode 1 - A cocking about episode
Episode 2 - A serious car episode
Episode 3 - A challenge episode
Episode 4 - An epic race episode
Episode 5 - ? Probably <a challenge episode>
Episode 6 - ? Also probably <a challenge episode>

And we know at some point within the last two episodes they need to <go fox hunting and take on the germans - so at least two more challenges> which could both be in the same episode but I doubt it.

So that would be finishing the series with two <challenge> episodes.

Last year we had
Episode 1: Big Race
Episode 2: Challenge
Episode 3: Race
Episode 4: Epic Challenge
Episode 5: Epic Race
Episode 6: Cheap Race
Episode 7: Challenge
Episode 8: Weird racy challengy thing
Episode 9: Just wonderfulness/challenge
Episode 10: Car based

I know that doesn't sound like it follows a formula but it sort of does and this series feels very formulaesque and is set to a pattern that could translate across to the next series as well.

Or, and this is the most likely outcome of this post - I'm once again spouting utter bollocks.

NB: Highlight bits between < > (for spoilers sake).

I love TG and love the way the series has gone, love every episode and every segment.

But I have one concern - that the series is becoming a bit formulaic.

Let me explain.

Episode 1 - A cocking about episode
Episode 2 - A serious car episode
Episode 3 - A challenge episode
Episode 4 - An epic race episode
Episode 5 - ? Probably <a challenge episode>
Episode 6 - ? Also probably <a challenge episode>

And we know at some point within the last two episodes they need to <go fox hunting and take on the germans - so at least two more challenges> which could both be in the same episode but I doubt it.

So that would be finishing the series with two <challenge> episodes.

Last year we had
Episode 1: Big Race
Episode 2: Challenge
Episode 3: Race
Episode 4: Epic Challenge
Episode 5: Epic Race
Episode 6: Cheap Race
Episode 7: Challenge
Episode 8: Weird racy challengy thing
Episode 9: Just wonderfulness/challenge
Episode 10: Car based

I know that doesn't sound like it follows a formula but it sort of does and this series feels very formulaesque and is set to a pattern that could translate across to the next series as well.

Or, and this is the most likely outcome of this post - I'm once again spouting utter bollocks.

NB: Highlight bits between < > (for spoilers sake).

Ryan, no prizes really for guessing 11x05 and 11x06 as both were featured in the magazine previews, nevertheless I agree with you on both counts!