Asian/Chinese cooking

nsx_23

Forum Addict
I noticed there doesn't seem to be a thread on Asian cooking, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling:

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

Chinese "rice dumpling". Made quiet a few of these, and I simply store them in the freezer afterwards. Boil some water, chuck one in for about 20 minutes, and voila: A brilliant, simple meal. Beats fast food any day.

Contains egg, mushroom, pork and green beans along with rice (obviously).

I also make my own dumplings/wontons at home.

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTJEHjXs7g[/YOUTUBE]

:p

I'm not a huge fan of dumplings however I can say the best I had were in a little dirty shop back in Qingdao, directly in the kitchen as everything was full :-D
I'll tell you something, you don't want to know how these things are made in this kind of shop :-D

Chinese food in other countries just isn't the same as sharing 5 dishes with friends and a cheap bottle of Baijiu!

The reason why I never tried Chinese/Asian cooking, is that you simply don't get an electric stove hot enough for using a wok effectively. You need big open flames for that.

What I do instead, is going to a Chinese/Mongolian restaurant, where you can pick your ingrediences and then give the whole thing over to a cook, who fries the stuff on a hot stone for you :)

It's an "all you can eat" buffet with lots of different meats and veggies, spices and sauces, so you can try as many combinations as you want. They even have kangaroo meat :lol:

So why should I cook myself, when for 12 Euros I can experiment with Chinese food that way, too? ;)

Last edited:
My problem with most Chinese restaurants is that they often use far too much oil and crap ingredients, so I'd rather do it myself and tune/adjust the flavor to my liking.

I'd still consider Japanese, Asian, so I guess I love Asian food.

I love sushi
sushi.jpg

and tempura, too
tempura_butterfly_prawn.jpg

and tonkatsu
tonkatsu.jpg

and yakisoba
yakisoba1.jpg

and ramen!
ramen.jpg

Exquisite! :)

Last edited:
My problem with most Chinese restaurants is that they often use far too much oil and crap ingredients

You can avoid that in the restaurant I described.

But many people actually think Asian cuisine has to taste like glutamates :rolleyes:

My problem with most Chinese restaurants is that they often use far too much oil and crap ingredients, so I'd rather do it myself and tune/adjust the flavor to my liking.

Seriously. That "Chinese Restaurant Sludge" you get in most takeout is a clear sign that the dish has been half-assed. My parents do so much better that I've been completely spoiled when it comes to real Chinese food. I'm actually making a large batch of wontons tonight; pics probably incoming.

It's pretty much the same in China, one day we ordered an omelette (well, we didn't really knew what we ordered, not really reading chinese :-D) and we could see all the oil inside of it. After leaning the dish slightly we saw a river of oil escaping from the dish and the omelette reduced in size by half :blink:

It was pretty cheap and delicious though :lol:

I had Chinese/Vietnamese neighbours for ~15 years, they had a restaurant in town that they often invited us (and other neighbours) to on mondays (when it was closed) and they made 10 times as much food as we could eat :lol: but damn that was delicious :drool:

The reason why I never tried Chinese/Asian cooking, is that you simply don't get an electric stove hot enough for using a wok effectively. You need big open flames for that.

i use the side-burner of my grill for any wok'n i do. its only 13k btu, but for most stuff it does quite well. (i got a cheap 14" carbon steel wok...)

however, few nights ago i decided to go try out the largest burner (2700watts apparently) on my parents new electric stove. and i must say, that thing was doing very very good keeping up the heat. up until i put 2 pounds of cow in it. which i dont think my grill's side burner woulda been able to recover after that either.

though really, unless you got a really good ventillation system... wok cooking is still best done outside.

i use the side-burner of my grill for any wok'n i do. its only 13k btu, but for most stuff it does quite well. (i got a cheap 14" carbon steel wok...)

however, few nights ago i decided to go try out the largest burner (2700watts apparently) on my parents new electric stove. and i must say, that thing was doing very very good keeping up the heat. up until i put 2 pounds of cow in it. which i dont think my grill's side burner woulda been able to recover after that either.

though really, unless you got a really good ventillation system... wok cooking is still best done outside.

I tried using a wok inside my house. It didn't go well.

To be fair, many Chinese dishes can often be cooked without a wok.