Assault on democracy, or how the GOP hate voting

GRtak

Forum Addict

Water and pizza banned!

Wow, that headline is criminally misleading by leaving out crucial details. If I had to guess that's what the creator of that video wanted to accomplish which is gaining as much attention as possible to the underlying problem of voter oppression.

That said, there will be too many people just reading the headline instead of watching at least the beginning of the video which has nothing to do with Pizza and water so they'll get agitated by the wrong topic.

Wow, that headline is criminally misleading by leaving out crucial details. If I had to guess that's what the creator of that video wanted to accomplish which is gaining as much attention as possible to the underlying problem of voter oppression.

That said, there will be too many people just reading the headline instead of watching at least the beginning of the video which has nothing to do with Pizza and water so they'll get agitated by the wrong topic.

7. Bans food and water for people waiting in line

Yes, for people waiting in line. The teaser of the video states "GEORGIA OUTLAWS PIZZA" which without that addition is obviously a false statement since Pizza and water are not banned per se.

I'm absolutely not defending that bill, that's criminal as well, but the video (and article) headline is misleading, and as I wrote I'm guessing the author did that on purpose to gain as much attention to voter oppression and the bill itself.

So Kemp said Colorado has more restrictive laws. Ok so then why doesn't Georgia just mirror Colorado voting laws? I mean what he basically said was Georgia's law is less secure and has the virtue of being widely disliked. The truth is the goal was to make long lines longer in hopes of getting people to give up. Georgia had lines for days lasting as long as 10-11 hours. My guess is in 2022 it will have a very large turn out getting more angry at Kemp and Republicans thought I know someone will die in those lines too.

Let's take a look at Kemp's bullshit claim:

You can register same-day in Colorado.
You can also give water to those in line.
Yes, Colorado has fewer in-person voting days. It's because every registered voter receives a ballot about 15 to 20 days before the election. 94% of the votes cast were mail-in in the 2020 general.
Colorado has one drop-box per 10,000 registered voters. Georgia wants to limit it to one box per 100,000 voters. Atlanta metro's drop-box count could drop by 75%.
Many of Colorado's drop-boxes are 24 hours. All of Georgia's have to be within government buildings, with normal business hours.
For registering, Colorado accepts nearly 3x as many documents as proof of ID as Georgia.

The most "dangerous" part of Republican voter suppression bills, according to Hasen, is the type of power they would give Republicans over the administration of elections.

Hasen is worried that Republicans want to give themselves the ability to throw out democratic election results that they don't like.

Short answer no. Long answer it wasn't a bug it was a feature.

Yeah, it was rhetorical. Them now saying that it was a mistake is them just trying to cover their asses.

Yeah, it was rhetorical. Them now saying that it was a mistake is them just trying to cover their asses.
I believe the turn out in the next elections in these states will reflect a backlash against these laws.

Gah, they really need to smack this crap down at the federal level (along with a lot of Texas' recent decisions, to be honest). Grow some balls. Get rid of the filibuster. Make sure people can exercise their basic right to vote.

I'm just exhausted. We need to vote these idiots out of office, but the way they keep trying to reduce hours, reduce polling locations (leading to the long lines where pizza and water start to become kinda necessary!), add extra hoops to jump through before you can vote (especially by mail, which is fine and not the problem!) and the like—they don't want us to vote. At all.

All this horsecrap does is embolden the idiots who don't think the last election was fair and secure when there is zero evidence that that was the case. I'm tired of living in a place that even hears those fools out, much less one that tries to ram through a piece of legislation so toxic and so targeting of certain groups (Texas trying to limit Sunday voting hours when black churches tend to vote on Sundays) that the sane chunk of our legislature walks out.

Absolutely. Exhausting.

Slow moving coup continues:

Republicans can win the next elections through gerrymandering alone​

Even if voting patterns remain the same, Republicans could still win more seats in Congress through redistricting

Whatever the Jan 6th rioters didn't get, the GOP are just following on.

Fox posted the Republican dream a few days ago

Its undoubtably an uphill battle but believe people will eventually wake up to the fact that these people are con jobs jr's. Sure we'll never get everyone out of the cult but enough that the Republican party isn't the existential threat it is the lives and liberty of hundreds of millions that it is today.