Game: Assetto Corsa

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
For anyone who enjoys Gran Turismo and Forza but isn't sure about the new generation consoles, it's worth taking a look at this. I think we really need to get behind this and help make it huge.

bimmers-1024x576.jpg

Assetto Corsa is being designed to provide a very realistic driving experience, with single player and multiplayer options, officially licensed cars and tracks developed using Laser scan technology, and the highest level of accuracy possible in reproducing real world motor racing environments. Also, Assetto Corsa will allow for considerable customisation and modification, in order to satisfy the expectations of professional simracers, gamers who prefer to approach the driving experience more progressively, and hobbyists who just like to collect lots of cars and tracks.

Assetto Corsa takes advantage of the experience acquired by the Kunos Simulazioni team with the development of netKar PRO and Ferrari Virtual Academy, both titles being notable as two of the best in the genre for their advanced physics model and vehicle dynamics. Our R&D office, located just inside the international racing circuit of Vallelunga, allows the team to develop the game with the cooperation of real world racing drivers and racing teams.

The Assetto Corsa physics engine is all new, using practical knowledge acquired from working closely with the elite of motorsport in order to engineer the best possible accuracy of physics and tactility of feeling. A physics engine like this begs to be used with officially licensed content: As such, Assetto Corsa will include renditions of international circuits, global car brands, racing prototypes, historic cars, single seaters and some of the most iconic cars ever built, providing a complete, and exciting,racing experience!

The important features are user creatable cars using existing models and a WYSIWYG editor and because it's on PC all existing and future gaming hardware will be supported, unlike a certain console we know of. It will also include day/night cycles.

Full gallery is available here.

Back the game for Steam with Greenlight here (please).

There's a tech preview out already, it costs the price of a netKar PRO licence (?6.99) and is well worth it. Requirements are quite modest, it plays OK with my 9800GTX.

Last edited:
We definitely need a GT/Forza-like game on PC, I love the genre and am not a fan of what I am seeing on the new consoles. It's going to be slow going at first though, my favorite part of Forza is the huge and well-chosen car selection which takes quite a lot of time and effort to create.

At the same time there is Simraceway and Autoclub Revolution that both seem to be trying something similar. The physics in Simraceway are really good and they already have about 100 cars that you can purchase/earn. But I agree that Assetto Corsa will be another one to look out for.

There are already some mods in development on RaceDepartment.

A PC sim that looks good, focuses on production cars and could potentially have infinite content. :eek:

I wish I had a desktop. :(

I'm not keen on the idea of community made cars. It means I'll have to sift through a load of crap to find well made cars, and rarely will they ever bee as good as dev made cars.

Depending on how they restrict the content, most of the "community made" cars will probably be conversions from other games (i.e. Forza, GTA)

At the same time there is Simraceway and Autoclub Revolution that both seem to be trying something similar. The physics in Simraceway are really good and they already have about 100 cars that you can purchase/earn. But I agree that Assetto Corsa will be another one to look out for.

Simraceway is basically rFactor with cars and tracks stolen from other modding teams and companies.
Don't support them.

I'm not keen on the idea of community made cars. It means I'll have to sift through a load of crap to find well made cars, and rarely will they ever bee as good as dev made cars.

This is Simracing, not GTA. Most mods are well-made, just ask someone with knowledge and he'll give you the links to the best modding teams.

Depending on how they restrict the content, most of the "community made" cars will probably be conversions from other games (i.e. Forza, GTA)

Nope, (nearly) all scratch-made as in other sims. It's the other way around - unfortunately lots of mods for simracing games get to GTA etc...

Voted on Greenlight, hope it gets lit.

Should be in since yesterday.

Last edited:
Simraceway is basically rFactor with cars and tracks stolen from other modding teams and companies.
Don't support them.

All of the Simraceway cars and tracks are built from scratch. You are remembering the old racing service from before.

I gave simraceway a try, the physics do indeed seem very good, but I had a really hard time getting my wheel to work. 10 million settings to fiddle with, many of them seeming to mean the same thing. And in the end, I just ended up repeatedly crashing a Formula 3 car because I quickly learned I don't have the skill for that shit :lol:

All of the Simraceway cars and tracks are built from scratch. You are remembering the old racing service from before.

They still use the goddamn McLaren and Mid-Ohio, which are both not from scratch. Abhorrent in a simracing community

Ladies, wrong game for this thread. That doesn't have any bearing on AC.

The Spa article suggests that it has been lit for Steam which is great news, but at the same time mentions DLC. So soon... I don't really know why this game would need DLC at all.

Wikipedia said:
Cars to be released in DLC:
BMW M3 E30 DTM
McLaren MP4-12C
McLaren MP4-12C GT3
BMW 1M Safety Car

The BMWs are just variations of cars already in the game. As for the McLaren, I'd rather that one was done officially rather than by a third party modding team. I'm not even sure if Polyphony Digital got that car right. :lol:

I was wondering about the DLC too. So I found this info on Google:

Marco Massarutto confirmed Assetto Corsa's price range in an interview to gamemag.it[1] , which will be situated somewhere between 39 and 49?. Like we knew, some DLC will be available for free, others will require to pay a small fee.
Other news include :
a team of 15 people is working on the game at the moment. They are finalizing the collision system, the AI and the multiplayer.
The sound is to be improved compared to the TP's Lotus Elise.
A making of the 4 years of production will be published shortly after Assetto Corsa's release
AC 1.0 will contain 26 cars, 10 more will be available through DLCs within a year
Nordschleife ... They want to scan it really bad, but the recent turn of events (the track has become for sale[2] ) is interfering with this project. They can't really find someone to talk at the moment. They don't lose hope though.
Also, they don't want to rush the release since they want it to be perfect. Personally, I'm ok with that.

http://www.reddit.com/r/assettocors...etto_corsas_price_range_confirmed_between_39/

Also:

I would like to thank of all you for compliments, support and constructive criticisms. I would like just to add that there will not exist any DLC at Day One. We never mentioned nothing about it, it is not our policy, and just to be clear, the production of SPA Francorchamps has not started yet. So, I find some criticisms a bit unfair, at least because are based just on personal suppositions that sometime are passed of as absolute truth. Assetto Corsa will be released months before any additional content. And, the additional contents are just the prove that is our intention to continue to improve and support Assetto Corsa as long as possible. As you can imagine, the production of contents requires a lot of time, and the additional package mentioned in our last PR will also include some car models. Those package must be considered just like a gift for all those people will continue to support our efforts to give to simracing enthusiasts the best simulation we are able to deliver.
See you on track.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...-and-pre-order-info.70935/page-8#post-1463300

Last edited:
Last edited:
Didn't really know what to make of this game, then I saw this:

Holy shit those physics look perfect. The sound is also very high quality!