Game: Assetto Corsa

Played the DLC Nordschleife yesterday. It's bloody brillant. :)

Also, playing racing games/sims is somewhat frustrating because I'm just no good at driving fast without feeling g forces...

I actually splashed out the money for a brand-new G27 earlier this month just to run well in AC. The most frustrating thing about having a worse steering wheel was the inability to map the clutch to a button on the wheel, which meant I was losing shedloads of time on starts in races and at the dragstrip.

Why are you losing time when using the real clutch instead of a button?

is anyone else struggling with Giulietta at Magione race for the N1 series? it seems the best I can do is fourth...the Giulietta just sucks, I just lose so much time in the last couple of turns.

My personal Assetto Corsa nut - meaning friend with a gaming computer, video projector and a FF steering wheel and pedals who invites people including me over to play AC - has purchased an Oculus Rift. I'm curious. :D

is anyone else struggling with Giulietta at Magione race for the N1 series? it seems the best I can do is fourth...the Giulietta just sucks, I just lose so much time in the last couple of turns.

Yeah I found that one strangely difficult as well, I managed third in the end after a lot of tries.

Why are you losing time when using the real clutch instead of a button?

That wasn't the issue, the issue was that with the previous steering wheel I had no clutch pedal. And having to plonk it into 1st at idle when the green light came on and then boot it off the line meant my reaction time was woeful.

Okay makes sense.

My personal Assetto Corsa nut - meaning friend with a gaming computer, video projector and a FF steering wheel and pedals who invites people including me over to play AC - has purchased an Oculus Rift. I'm curious. :D

Ohh a friend of mine has it aswell. I'm actually too scared to test it out - because I know that after I've used it a couple of hundred Euros will leave my bank account... :D

I'm curious about this as well it sounds really awesome in theory, but my friend who's worked with Oculus rift says to try it out first before throwing down on one since there are still a lot of short-comings that aren't really advertised.

The biggest problem with Oculus and AC so far is the fact that you can only drive, not change anything in the setup. That would annoy the hell out of me not to change the setup...

Funny thing is, even with RBR (which is more than ten years old by now) the complete menu works with Oculus. But I don't think that Oculus support is high on Kunos' priority list...

I really, really hope weather and day-night environments are implemented at some point. I'm confident they would do it soooo well.

That wasn't the issue, the issue was that with the previous steering wheel I had no clutch pedal. And having to plonk it into 1st at idle when the green light came on and then boot it off the line meant my reaction time was woeful.

Just floor it and stick it into 1st as soon as the lights go out. That's what I do with my DFGT and it works. Well, sort of...

Just floor it and stick it into 1st as soon as the lights go out. That's what I do with my DFGT and it works. Well, sort of...

That's one cool thing about Oculus Rift - it shows a countdown which only Oculus users can see. Cool when you have a friend that's got one and you're doing online races, he can always count the start for you if he's in the same grid :D

I'm officially in the racing sim club now, having bought a Thrustmaster T500RS (minus pedals), Fanatec CSR inverted pedals and ClubSport switchable sequential/H-pattern shifter to replace my lowly Logitech DFP. My bank account hates me.

Looking forward to trying this little lot out in AC and various other games. :)

Sounds like a good setup you got yourself there Matt.

I hope so yeah, I've used the wheel and the non-inverted version of the pedals before as a friend has them. The shifter is an unknown but it ticks all the boxes and seems to be the best thing I can get. I have a bit of kit coming that hopefully will let me use it all with my XBone too...

I can vouch for the shifter, I recently got the non switchable version H Box from Fanatec. Has a great feeling and seems solid.

I can vouch for the shifter, I recently got the non switchable version H Box from Fanatec. Has a great feeling and seems solid.

Good to hear, it certainly looks solid. I had tried the Thrustmaster shifter that my friend has and I just wasn't impressed with the feel of it, it had a long throw too which wasn't great to use. He mainly uses it as a sequential shifter though so it doesn't worry him.

Finally played it again last night after a long time, blasting the Nurburgring with the Cobra is great fun... but the game as whole still feels to me like an unfinished game. And all this talk about steering wheels makes me want to shed some money on a G27 at least(I currently have a DFGT)

Edit: Is the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel a better choice than a G27?
02670020-photo-fanatec-porsche-911-turbo-s.jpg

Last edited: