Assuming there's going to be a Series 3 ...

tone76

Car(s)
05 Honda Jazz, 95 SAAB 900S, 97 Mazda 121
... what would you like to see in it? Yes, just like the other thread about Series 2.

I'm going to assume that Freehand know about us. We've already sent several goodwill missions from the Internets to TGA, and it's obvious they're getting their feedback from somewhere. Series 2 is so much better than Series 1, it might as well be a completely different TV show.

So, Freehand, if you're reading this, thanks for ...

- the improvement on the track filming
- the excellent explanation on how the track is set up
- bringing James Morrison into the team
- improving on already excellent cinematography, editing and post-production
- doing some stuff that is unique to TGA (such as the in-studio stunts)
- allowing the guys to make conclusions on the vehicles
- letting Warren do SIABSC ... he's the only thing that makes it semi-watchable

On that basis, what I'd like to see in Series 3:

- the hosts being let off the leash a little more. TGA's producers are blessed with 3 likeable, talented guys that have a good chemistry. In the segments where they are cocking about and being themselves (such as the weird-ass drifting challenge), they can be just as engaging as the original TG UK 3 - only in a different way.

- SIABSC ... get guests that WANT to be there. I've had a gutful of guests that are only there to plug shit or for some other contractual obligation.

- speaking of SIABSC ... this should be no longer than 7 minutes: 5 minutes of the guest talking shit, 2 minutes of lap time. And make sure at least 50% of the talking shit time involves cars.

- finish reviews properly. Give us more stats, better conclusions, tell us how many kWs a car has, how much it costs. Granted, TGA is getting better at this, but there have been a few times where this hasn't eventuated (such as the Kia Soul review ... it's a shitbox, but I want to know if there is a better way to spend $20k ... I dunno, Wazza could have told us that if we wanted to piss $20k away on a small box on wheels, buy a Honda Jazz instead or something)

- don't be afraid to review more shit cars. These can provide the funniest results, as long as the review isn't filtered to look like something that Glenn Ridge would dish up.

- the old car ads are cool, but please don't ruin it by bringing it back for S3.

- speaking of old cars ... more old car reviews please! Surely between Warren and James, they could do 2-3 cracking reviews of classic (and not so classic) Aussie cars per series. I'd pay good money to watch Wazza review a Leyland P76, or James review an XY GTHO. And stick the lap times of the old cars on the board, the Model T lap was a classic and a definite highlight of S2 thus far.

- the scripted studio stuff is still a bit naff. PLEASE get the 3 guys to write their own material and send it off to a good script editor, and put the current script editor on assignments that are more his speed, such as 'Dancing With The Stars'.

Last edited:
To add to what you said:

-Maybe make a theme to an episode here and there, like what TGUK used to do in the early days with the Lambo themed/Germen themed shows. Maybe a holden/ford Themed show with the old cars (hence colaborating with the old car reviews)

-Crossover with TGUK!! Some sort of big challenge they do in the outback. Or is it too early to do battle with each other?

+1 to tone76's suggestions especially:

"- the hosts being let off the leash a little more...."

and

"- the scripted studio stuff is still a bit naff. PLEASE get the 3 guys to write their own material and send it off to a good script editor, and put the current script editor on assignments that are more his speed, such as 'Dancing With The Stars'"

I also suspect that they have no real input into the rest of the show either.
What I saw in the studio in between takes was funny and charming and intelligent (Steve was the real surprise for me in this regard). It really seemed like they were doing what they had to , not what they wanted!

LET THEM OFF THE LEASH PLEASE! ! ! !

What I saw in the studio in between takes was funny and charming and intelligent (Steve was the real surprise for me in this regard). It really seemed like they were doing what they had to , not what they wanted!

In the case of Warren and Steve, they would have scripted their own audition tapes ... and clearly these were winners. Why not draw upon this? The same qualities that won the producers over in the first place will more than likely win the punters at home over. I suspect that Peking To Paris was largely unscripted, and Warren was very engaging in Peking To Paris.

Whilst James may not have put in an audition tape (or did he?), he's had years of performing to live audiences, therefore there is no reason (and never has been a reason) to script him as strictly as Freehand are scripting him (and the other 3 for that matter).

And you're right about Steve, he is a lot funnier in real life than he is on TGA.

So yes ... get the 3 guys to write their own material, with their own thoughts on whatever the subject matter of the episode might be, and get a really good script editor (i'm looking at you, Richard Porter) to give it a little tweaking. We would then get something that is getting close to the calibre of the original TG 3, but totally different at the same time.

Completely forgot.
Asked Warren at the filming of episode 8 (finale) and he said that series three wasn't locked in yet and they're "seeing how it goes."

But having said that, I'm sure there will be a third series.

The only major thing that I can think of atm is the general concensus of this thread: Let them loose.

Generally...live they are funnier than the scripted stuff, like Steve's joke about James' wife complaining about him in bed. They just need to have a bit more flexibility. Have a go at cars and people and each other more. (E.g. Ahn Do driving a Prius? Jeremy would have stood up and shot him in the face.)

Other than that, not much. Things will generally get better with time, and how they are at the moment, that's a very good thing, since I'm throughly enjoying the show currently.

If I could ask for anything from season 3, it's that SBS go ahead and make it, and keep on making progress the way they're doing.

Really, they've got it working now - it would be nice to let the guys run with it a little more and to find a script editor who really 'gets' TG (if Richard Porter had time, that would be great, at least for the next season to get everyone properly on track).

There have been so many improvements this season; TG Aus is barely recognisable from what it was last year.

I think the best thing SBS could do for TG Aus, now that they have a properly marketable product, is to market it fully, enthusiastically and properly! I can't know for certain, because I'm on the other side of the world, but I know some of our Australian members mentioned that it doesn't seem to be very well trailed on TV or advertised in the press. People aren't going to watch it, no matter how good it is, if they don't know enough about it.

"- the scripted studio stuff is still a bit naff. PLEASE get the 3 guys to write their own material and send it off to a good script editor, and put the current script editor on assignments that are more his speed, such as 'Dancing With The Stars'"

I also suspect that they have no real input into the rest of the show either.

This reminds me of Jay Leno (American talk show host) saying that he didn't want to host an American version of Top Gear because he wouldn't be able to give honest opinions on cars due to its commercial nature.
Perhaps we are seeing the same effect here, TGA must have advertisers want to buy ad space on their program so that colours the whole show. For example, they probably have to be politically correct as the show might lose advertisers if it gained notoriety. There might be all sorts of ways they have to restrict themselves in order for advertisers to pony up those vital $$ that SBS has w****d itself out for (go easy on the negative rep).

This reminds me of Jay Leno (American talk show host) saying that he didn't want to host an American version of Top Gear because he wouldn't be able to give honest opinions on cars due to its commercial nature.
Perhaps we are seeing the same effect here, TGA must have advertisers want to buy ad space on their program so that colours the whole show. For example, they probably have to be politically correct as the show might lose advertisers if it gained notoriety. There might be all sorts of ways they have to restrict themselves in order for advertisers to pony up those vital $$ that SBS has w****d itself out for (go easy on the negative rep).

agree, ABC need to buy TGA from SBS

dammit tone76! You beat me to a 'series 3 requests' thread! :cheers:

Something else to be thankful for:
- getting rid of "What Were They Thinking?!"
- letting Charlie Cox go!

Assuming series 3 gets a green light:
- have the guys go on some Aussie rallies as challenges (episode length)
- tell us about Australia's great race tracks and circuits..and have some fun on them with some slick cars, perhaps V8 supercars? :)
- state-by-state look at great driving roads of Australia
- more car challenges!
- car vs Ghan/Indian Pacific?
- cheap car challenges!
<more when I think up some>
..or combinations thereof.

Id like to see some of what the TGA Magazine guys do.

The great ocean road drive to Adelaide. Ariel Atom drive , To shitbox challenge with v8supercar drivers and then run of the cars with a tank etc...

Last edited:
I was critical of the first series, I am loving the second series. Let them get more epic. Don't really change anything, just let them get more outrageous.

Star in a Bog Standard Car: Jennifer Hawkins, Shaun Micallef. Can't think of any else.

Star in a Bog Standard Car: Jennifer Hawkins, Shaun Micallef. Can't think of any else.

Let's see:
Mark Webber
Casey Stoner
Hugh Jackman
Kieren Perkins
Roy Slaven
Rob Sitch
Pauline Hanson (<---- being SBS may not be a good idea)
Natalie Bassingthwaithe (sp?)
Natalie Imbruliga (sp?)

List could go on :)

I've love to see all 3 of them take a trip somewhere outside of Australia.

I'd also like to see more races, better than the Lambo vs. Jetski. That was just a race rather than an adventure. The things I like about say the Japan race on regular Top Gear is Richard and James hanging out. There's more to a race than the race itself. I'd like to see that kinda relationship in the guys on TG.Au.

If I could ask for anything from season 3, it's that SBS go ahead and make it, and keep on making progress the way they're doing.

Nailed it in one!

As others have said, just take the chains off and let them at the world.

Oh and BLOODY WATCH THE GOD DAMN SHOW :lol:

you guys are missing the big one! As was said before, have a cross over challenge with both shows (something tells me its being talked about somewhere) and let it be an off season special, like the Polar Special

at the very least, bring in clarkson or hammond as the SIABSC!!!

PS: I really thing that one of the reasons that GM is slowly dying has to do with things like the fact that instead of telling us they were rebadging the Manaro as the "new GTO" or that the G6 is really an aussie car, they just tell us here that they are all new from detroit. they really seem to think that we just take whatever they tell us and move on. the sad thing is, most Americans do. if we rebadged an SL 550 as a new Ford focus, this country would fall for it.

GM is the same company that makes 4 cars from the same factory, badges them as 4 different cars and then has the gull to compare them to each other in commercials. its sad.

my point is, james's trip to america was great, that got a 10, its just to bad the rest of the show was a 7.

BTW: does anyone else here thing that Morrison looking like an elf when he smiles? :p

you guys are missing the big one! As was said before, have a cross over challenge with both shows (something tells me its being talked about somewhere) and let it be an off season special, like the Polar Special

at the very least, bring in clarkson or hammond as the SIABSC!!!

PS: I really thing that one of the reasons that GM is slowly dying has to do with things like the fact that instead of telling us they were rebadging the Manaro as the "new GTO" or that the G6 is really an aussie car, they just tell us here that they are all new from detroit. they really seem to think that we just take whatever they tell us and move on. the sad thing is, most Americans do. if we rebadged an SL 550 as a new Ford focus, this country would fall for it.

GM is the same company that makes 4 cars from the same factory, badges them as 4 different cars and then has the gull to compare them to each other in commercials. its sad.

my point is, james's trip to america was great, that got a 10, its just to bad the rest of the show was a 7.

BTW: does anyone else here thing that Morrison looking like an elf when he smiles? :p

I was thinking a garden gnome without the beard and hat...

A crossover challenge... Top Gear: Survivor! :lol:

I was thinking a garden gnome without the beard and hat...

A crossover challenge... Top Gear: Survivor! :lol:

Top Gear Idol!!! it would involve all 3 shows TGUK, TGA and TGR:mrgreen:

really though, i would love to see a nice 2 hour thing where all 5 (cuz May wont go abroud according to Jezza) have a team race from like TGUK studios all the way to TGA studios without using public trans. and a set amount of like $10,000(us) just think about it! oh, and they only get 5 days!

The whole GM story is a bit weird for me because despite what they say, the engine is pure American/GM. Holden have little to do with it and instead do the surroundings. When it comes to cars, I think the engine is very important and thus I don't really consider it a Aussie car

The whole GM story is a bit weird for me because despite what they say, the engine is pure American/GM. Holden have little to do with it and instead do the surroundings. When it comes to cars, I think the engine is very important and thus I don't really consider it a Aussie car

Does that mean that Koenigseggs with Mercedes AMG engines are German cars, not Swedish? Does it mean that Aston Martins that had Ford Engines are American cars? What about all those Alfa Romeos out there with Holden V6s in them, are they Australian cars?

Last edited: