Assuming there's going to be a Series 3 ...

If there is a season 3 we have to get a crossover episode

Clarkson/Hammond/May vs Brown/Pizzati/Morrison

Burn something at the begining of the episode and call it "The Ashes".

TGA Production Team - Read This to Survive

DO NOT WRITE THE CHALLENGES ON LOCATION.

Fix that and you have a chance.

If there is a season 3 we have to get a crossover episode

Clarkson/Hammond/May vs Brown/Pizzati/Morrison

Burn something at the begining of the episode and call it "The Ashes".

Brilliant. Can we get the crazy Russians involved too?

How about holding it at Bathurst? :)

I'm only two episodes in to series 2, but so far's better.
However there is no lead presenter, which you need and stop the fricken vignette effect in post-production. It's like watching the show through a toilet roll tube.

All I can really think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is a proper road trip (perhaps across the Nullarbor?)
Obviously, they don't have the budget to do massive challenges in other countries, so why not localise it.
Take 3 Aussie cars, drive them across the nullarbor plain and let the shenanigans commence.

It's the perfect way to get them to ad-lib, as you can't script everything you're going to say for 7+ days, and it would also improve the chemistry of the presenters.

Perhaps it's a little early to have a challenge of that magnitude, but it's a thought...

ABC is basically the same as the BBC

Except that it services 1/3 the audience with 1/11 of the budget of the BBC. Yes, you read that right, the BBC has 11x the ABC's budget for 3x the population. Don't expect the ABC to do a TopGear style show any time soon.

The problem is that the ABC is on such a tight budget that they need to avoid scrutiny whenever possible, as scrutiny = funding question marks. While ever their funding is directly controlled by the government, they can't tread on too many toes. Just look at the recent Chaser BS - it took all of 28 seconds before the "questions need to be asked as to whether the ABC has too much money if they're paying for this..." quotes started.

The BBC is funded by the TV license - they don't need to go cap in hand to the government every 3 years & therefore don't need to worry so much about criticism. The result is that they can spend lavish amounts on shows like TopGear & while they are criticised, they largely laugh it off because they can.

I'm actually surprised that SBS got to make a second series after the "welcome" the first was met with. Their (albeit small) advertising revenue gives them enough independence to make shows like this.

I think if TGA was on the ABC, it would be even worse. More viewers = more complaints = more politicians commenting = senate estimates questioning = budget question marks = TGA getting the axe.

Like dragonboy, I'd like to see something like Adelaide to Darwin and/or Sydney to Perth. If TGUK can afford to do Italy to the UK in a veyron and a plane, Sydney to Perth shouldn't be too hard with cars...

They could also do it with cheap crap cars (sub 10k), with only $1000 for petrol, maintenance and other stuff. That should make for a good *special* I reckon.

Like dragonboy, I'd like to see something like Adelaide to Darwin and/or Sydney to Perth. If TGUK can afford to do Italy to the UK in a veyron and a plane, Sydney to Perth shouldn't be too hard with cars...

They could also do it with cheap crap cars (sub 10k), with only $1000 for petrol, maintenance and other stuff. That should make for a good *special* I reckon.

Epic races like you get on TGUK aren't going to happen on TGAU. We all know TG UK exceeds the speed limit when they are overseas to catch up. If TG AU did that community groups would be up in arms over it and SBS would can the show as they simply don't have the legal protection to save the show from lobbyists.

I suppose if it was theoretically possible for the car to be equal to the train then they could, but if it was impossible without speeding then no way the Australian team would be able air it.

I really wanna see them race the Indian Pacific across Australia. Start in Perth and race back home.

I suggested that exact challenge a couple of years ago when SBS held a competition to find ideas for what the UK boys could do if they ever came out here. I won a NavMan for that idea.

Would've been really good to watch.

Last edited:
From Pizzati's Twitter, posted about 11 hours ago ...

stevepizzati said:
And that, as they say, is that.

hmmm :hmm: maybe Steve knows something we don't? Or maybe nobody knows if an S3 is even on the cards yet.

When I get home and pop my tinfoil hat on, I'll compare the wrap-ups between 1x08 and 2x08 to see how different the delivery is. I know that the end of 2x08 did feel open ended, but almost in a token way.

Last edited:
There is some wicked stories in the TGA Magazine that would be great as TGA segments. For example test driving the BMW X6M and X5M in the Swedish proving grounds (lots and lots of sliding on snow basically) or driving from the bottom of NZ to the top.

Get ideas from those guys and I am sure the rest will fix itself!