Aston Entering 24hrs of Nuburgring with a wait for it.............Rapide

LeMans GTR

aston-martin-rap&#105.jpg

Aston Martin views racing its latest production cars at Germany's famed Nurburgring as a rite of passage of sorts, so we?re not entirely surprised to hear the automaker will enter its new Rapide sedan in the 24-hour endurance race scheduled for May 15.

?This race represents the ultimate final engineering durability test for any sports car,? said Aston Martin's CEO, Ulrich Bez. ?The Rapide has the capability to carry four people in comfort, but first and foremost it is a sports car, and we will subject it to the same tests we would our other sports cars.?

As was the case with many other Astons destined for the 'Ring, the race-spec Rapide will closely mirror a production vehicle. Although the interior will be gutted, the suspension revised, and a number of safety devices installed, the car will largely be stock. Power will still come from the same 5.9-liter V-12 as the production car, which sends as much as 470 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels.

In addition to the Rapide, Aston will again enter a mildly tweaked V12 Vantage in the race. In 2009, a similar car snagged a class victory on its debut run, and managed to finish in 21st place overall.

Aston Martin has yet to announce the final driver lineups for either car, but we wouldn?t be surprised if Bez himself gains some seat time -- as he is known to do -- during the event.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6662205/m...nurburgring-24-hours/index.html#ixzz0kMlp7z9z

http://wot.motortrend.com/6662205/m...nurburgring-24-hours/index.html#ixzz0kMlp7z9z

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Doesn't a race-spec Rapide defeat it's purpose?

Doesn't a race-spec Rapide defeat it's purpose?

The purpose of a race-spec Rpide is to sell road legal Rapides, so: No.

(The idea is: "Look, unlike Porsche's or Maserati's offerings, our four-door saloon is still that much of a sportscar that it's a competitive racecar in almost stock form. So if you got family and still want a sportscar, don't buy a Panamera or Quattroporte, buy this!")

The CEO getting some driving time in himself? That's pretty awesome.

The big watch vinyl makes it looks like a two door, but a fantastic race car with a classy sponsor.

(The idea is: "Look, unlike Porsche's or Maserati's offerings, our four-door saloon is still that much of a sportscar that it's a competitive racecar in almost stock form. So if you got family and still want a sportscar, don't buy a Panamera or Quattroporte, buy this!")

Sorry if I'm mistaking your intentions, but are you suggesting the Panamera has less sporting credentials than the Rapide? While I've never been in a Rapide, I've been in a Panamera and can tell you it is a sportscar above all else. Many magazines have even been able to lap it faster than a Cayman. The Rapide appears to be far more gran tourer than sporty.

You do mistake my intentions. I was not talking about the real world but about the worldview that Aston Martin's marketing department wants to sell.

Last edited:
Well I'll be damned. They turned that question round in their favour, that's for sure.

What a car. Aston knows how to make a racer.

Does this mean we will get a Rapide R and watch James May torture himself in it?

It's almost Stark-esque of him.

He's being racing in the 24hrs of LeMans for the past 3 years. :lol:

The world needs a Tony Stark.

The big watch vinyl makes it looks like a two door, but a fantastic race car with a classy sponsor.

Fun Fact: Jaeger-LeCoultre did the dials for the Lamborghini Miura, but yes Aston does seem to be picking their sponsors very carefully, they certainly don't wanna ruin their image by plastering something like IKEA over it. Though I'm not quite sure what Magna Steyr is doing there though, doesn't AM do all their manufacturing in house?

Last edited:
Though I'm not quite sure what Magna Steyr is doing there though, doesn't AM do all their manufacturing in house?

I highly doubt that (the bold part), pretty much every manufacturer relies on external suppliers, I can only imagine that to be even more true for smaller companies like Aston.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

Doesn't AM do all the main parts of construction (ie. engine, body, rims etc.) inhouse?