At which season did you start following Top Gear?

At which season did you start following Top Gear?

• Total voters
First clip/episode I saw was the Evo vs bobsled run. This was when the Discovery Channel was airing edited episodes back in 2005 every Wednesday night with them replaying on the following Sunday. It was a Sunday replay where I saw the end of the episode showing the evo v bobsled. Only reason I had stopped to watch it was because while flipping through the channels I reconized the song "Mona Lisa Overdrive" from the second Matrix movie and knew it had to be good. After it was over, I right away went through the tv listings to see when it was on again :D. Wathced it ever since. It wasn't on Discovery channel for much longer after that but then I was able to find full episodes on Google Video for awhile before finding this site.

I voted 1977 onwards but in reality probably early 80's. I remember Chris Goffey totally slating one of the early diesel Range Rovers and even episodes with William Woollard who had previously been on Tomorrow's World. Also there was some really old dude with a beard called Frank Page. I even remember Jeremy's early reviews (God he a snot-nosed little tosser back then. All public school and firmly up his own arse although in a totally different way to today), Quentin Willson before he became a smug eco-twat and VBH before she got chunky and was still quite hot, and Kate Humble who still is - I wanted to see her badger back the too! Then we had Tony Mason with his flat cap who I always thought looked a lot like Nick Mason from Pink Floyd (have you ever seen them together?) and Steve "Biker" Berry, token professional Northerner and pick-up driver.

I even remember enjoying the reviews by some floppy haired fop called James something and really liking his blokey laid-back style, and then there was this other guy called Andy Williams or Wiley or Whylman or something who did some really entertaining and wittily observed pieces. Wonder what happened to them?

I voted 1977 onwards but in reality probably early 80's. I remember Chris Goffey totally slating one of the early diesel Range Rovers and even episodes with William Woollard who had previously been on Tomorrow's World. Also there was some really old dude with a beard called Frank Page. I even remember Jeremy's early reviews (God he a snot-nosed little tosser back then. All public school and firmly up his own arse although in a totally different way to today), Quentin Willson before he became a smug eco-twat and VBH before she got chunky and was still quite hot, and Kate Humble who still is - I wanted to see her badger back the too! Then we had Tony Mason with his flat cap who I always thought looked a lot like Nick Mason from Pink Floyd (have you ever seen them together?) and Steve "Biker" Berry, token professional Northerner and pick-up driver.

I even remember enjoying the reviews by some floppy haired fop called James something and really liking his blokey laid-back style, and then there was this other guy called Andy Williams or Wiley or Whylman or something who did some really entertaining and wittily observed pieces.

Wilman, yeah?

Wonder what happened to them?

.. ah, who cares about those old loosers, but this new format with Ant & Dec as the main presenters, plus this year?s winner of Strictly Got Z-Factor is relay kewl, init tho!
:cool:

Reactions: MWF
I believe BBC America started broadcasting Top Gear with Season 8 in the Fall of 2007, which would likely have been my first exposure. At first, I thought it was a new version of Fifth Gear, which I had been watching on SPEED since 2004. :huh:

Started reading the mag in 1997-ish. Following the series started in 2003-ish.

The 1990?s: the oldest episode I vaguely recall seeing is when Jezza got married;
On the show, there was a film where I think he left on his honeymoon in a hired Ferrari. (IMDB notes his marriage as 1993)

So, around about season 30 in 1993 of old Top Gear or before. :)

Last edited:
I started watching it just after that Winter Olympics Special aired, after I watched alot of filming bits.

First Time I heard from Top Gear or Clarkson was when I watched destruction videos on Youtube when I hit that Video, where Clarkson was trying to destroy a Porsche 911, one the one hand, it was bloody stupid, but it was so mad, I just had to "OMG!... :lol: ..."

I had seen the old TG a few times in the late 90s when it was on BBC World on Galaxy (do any other Aussie FGers remember Galaxy?). That said, I didn't start following it properly until Series 4, which was around the same time I discovered BitTorrent. Funny that ...

I started watching I think it was s05e07. Joined here around season 7 or 8.

I watched a few episodes in the 1990's. I started watching new top gear around season 7. (when i rediscovered it)

i was born in 82 in england and have been watching all of my life with my dad when i was a kid, i mostly remember the Days of Tiff Needell and Clarkson with William Woddard and then the switch from woodard to Quentin Wilson. growing up, i always hated quentin wilson he started on there in like 91.

(do any other Aussie FGers remember Galaxy?).

I don't know what it was all about, but I had a tape that had something to do with Galaxy.

Anyway, first episode I saw was something from series 6. What I can remember seeing it was that I recognised the short bloke with the spikey hair as the same guy from Brainiac. That was in 2007 when they were replaying series in the lead up to Polar Special and Series 9.

12/13 because I didn't know the show before

I had seen the old TG a few times in the late 90s when it was on BBC World on Galaxy (do any other Aussie FGers remember Galaxy?).

We had Galaxy before Foxtel took them over.

Watched an episode in season 5 and got hooked! :D Wen't forward (and backward to season 1 of "New" Top Gear) from there :)

It's a shame I can't recall exactly what episode or year it was, but it has to be from 05/06 and prob. some youtube video or something lol.

I had seen bits of Top Gear and heard about Hammonds accident but didn't start watching Top Gear regularly till alittle less then a year ago when they were playing season 8 on BBC America. I then watched 9, 10, 11, and 12 in horribly butchered to accommodate commercials form before being annoyed that I didn't get to see season 13 when it was new. I was quite obsessed with TG in its BBC A form at this point and so Top Gear became the only thing I torrent and I have every episode in wonderful unmutilated form, thanks to this site. :D

(I'm not sure what to vote, time wise I started watching about the time 12 ended but 8 was the season I was watching, so I won't vote.)

It was Series Ten on BBC America. I'll be specific here and say the first bit I watched was the David Tennant interview, with my first episode being the British Leyland challenge.

I've read the BBC News homepage about every day since high school, so I remember reading about Richard's accident in 2006. The only other pre-TG thing I can recall is on a political message board, someone linked to a Jezza article (probably a Times column).