atheist and non-believers, are you offended?

atheist and non-believers, are you offended?

• Total voters
ESPNSTI said:
For the most part I think I'm atheist, but I guess what better describes my position is: I'm not sure.
I wouldn't be offended if some said I was going to hell.

What always bugs me is if there is a God and he's all powerful and good then why is there a hell?

That always brings me to the conclusion that if God exists, God is either not all powerfull, or he's a bit sadistic.
If he's all powerfull, that means he willingly sends people to hell, and he willingly makes people suffer on earth.
If not that then he's not all powerful.

The other question that always bugs me is, if there is a God, who created him?

Same here. I've been a catholic and a Jehovah's Witness. Neither were my choice by the way. The parents decided that for us. Now I don't give a rats ass about religion and, like ESPNSTI, I probably mostly atheist than anything else.

but Atheists don't believe in Hell in the first place so they don't care.

Thats what I concluded before I saw the poll results and it answered my questions.

I didnt mean to call anyone less of a person or say anyone is an infidell for not believing what I believe. As a Christian it is not my place to judge anyone that is why I am against these extreme Christians judging anyone who doesnt believe in God.

We have our differences but this brings me to my next point.

Mainly to Americans, do any of you feel offended by "Under God" in the pedge of alligiance or "In God we trust" in our currency or the prayer in the auguration address??

There has been actions by this atheist, Michael Newdow, he feels offended by those things as he is an atheist. Anyone, specifically americans, feel as offended as he is??

After this Ill be pretty much done with any discussion on religion, politics will go on though ;) :twisted:

Same here. I've been a catholic and a Jehovah's Witness. Neither were my choice by the way. The parents decided that for us. Now I don't give a rats ass about religion and, like ESPNSTI, I probably mostly atheist than anything else.

In fairness, you dont really have a say in how your parents want to raise you. They dont have a debate on how to punish you when you were a kid. To say that religion is forced upon you is wrong. Your parents raised you a certain way and now you choose not to be religious.

No one is bound to religion. It is a choice. ;)

To say you know there is no God is as much of a stretch as to say you know there is one.

It's faith either way, folks. :)

justin syder said:
Mainly to Americans, do any of you feel offended by "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance or "In God we trust" in our currency or the prayer in the inauguration address??
That depends.
If students HAVE to say the under God part, or if they suffer consequences if they don't then I don't think that's right.
I wouldn't be particularly offended by it merely being said in a classroom (although technically I don't think it belongs there).

The fact that "In God we trust" is on currency doesn't bother me that much, but again I find it a bit curious.

What would bother me is if any type of public funding is spent on something that is religious (especially if it funds one particular religion and not others).

The ten commandments in public places I find a bit curious as well.
If it is put there with public funding, I'm against it.
If it is put there with private funding, then I think that is OK, as long as any other religion (or atheists for that matter) can put their beliefs in the same place with their private funding without being harassed.

I guess what bothers me the most is the whole evolution theory not allowed to be taught in some schools.
Even if you believe that it isn't a fact, then present it as a theory, but not allowing it is a bit " :bangin: " in my opinion.
If you do teach creation theory in schools (which is a religious theory), I think it also has to be presented as a theory, and I believe theories from all other religions would need to be taught then as well.
So in other words, I believe schools should either teach scientific theories only, OR teach scientific theories plus ALL religious theories.

justin syder said:

In fairness, you dont really have a say in how your parents want to raise you. They dont have a debate on how to punish you when you were a kid. To say that religion is forced upon you is wrong. Your parents raised you a certain way and now you choose not to be religious.
Yah I have no problem with my parents making me go to church and things like that, they never made me do anything particularly awful.
At most I was bored, so I have no problem with that.
justin syder said:
I'd agree with that for in part, there is such a thing as brainwashing you know.

Dr. Woo said:
To say you know there is no God is as much of a stretch as to say you know there is one.

It's faith either way, folks. :)
The "I don't know" position which I subscribe to, is not a matter of faith.

One of the best arguments for believing in a God that I've seen came from the movie 'Contact' (can't explain it, you'll have to watch it).

Dr. Woo said:
As Roland already said...I find that to be offensive, and I'm a Christian. God is the only one who decides who goes to heaven and to hell...some religious nutjob who decides to come up to a random person and tell them they're going to hell certainly doesn't fall under a good light in my eyes.

But I guess I can't vote since I'm not an atheist. :p
Sums it up for me. ;)

I've had Jehovas witnesses come here too. I made the mistake of being nice to them and now they won't stop coming here. They've been showing up about once a month since the summer. I usually just hide though. :lol:

I've had Jehovas witnesses come here too. I made the mistake of being nice to them and now they won't stop coming here. They've been showing up about once a month since the summer. I usually just hide though.

That I think we can all agree on is quite bothersome. Although I am religious and I tell them that they feel compelled by there religion to convert me to a Jehovas Witness which I feel is wrong.

Im not offended by them, they believe what they want but forcing someone to believe is not the way to do it.

I'd agree with that for in part, there is such a thing as brainwashing you know.

Brainwashed in what way?

I guess what bothers me the most is the whole evolution theory not allowed to be taught in some schools.

I think that all theories should be taught. In the south most schools just teach creationism but if you look at both theories you can start to see similarities and
differences and decide which one you think is true or whatever.

Its those things that I disagree with other Christians. Im pro-choice and yes IMO it is killing a life but what the pro-lifers fail to answer is this; what happens to the live child? It has to grow up with parents that arent ready to have or didnt want that kid and that is far more harmful to society than ending the pregnancy.

ESPNSTI said:
The "I don't know" position which I subscribe to, is not a matter of faith.
True, but the agnostics were never mentioned in my little blurb. :)

ESPNSTI said:
One of the best arguments for believing in a God that I've seen came from the movie 'Contact' (can't explain it, you'll have to watch it).
Yeah, I've seen it...but I don't quite see what you mean.

justin syder said:
I've had Jehovas witnesses come here too. I made the mistake of being nice to them and now they won't stop coming here. They've been showing up about once a month since the summer. I usually just hide though.

That I think we can all agree on is quite bothersome. Although I am religious and I tell them that they feel compelled by there religion to convert me to a Jehovas Witness which I feel is wrong.

Im not offended by them, they believe what they want but forcing someone to believe is not the way to do it.

I agree - from their point of view they are trying to what is best for me.

justin syder said:

Yeah, very true...but it's tough to feel that way at the time. Tough to say to yourself, "understand that they just want to help me...I don't want what they consider to be help." It's mostly just, "go away, please..."

justin syder said:
Brainwashed in what way?
Well if you force a child to do some religious task in an overly repetitive manner (like reciting or memorizing a certain religious text), then I'd call that brainwashing rather than teaching.

ESPNSTI said:
Yeah, I've seen it...but I don't quite see what you mean.[/quote]
I don't think I can explain it very well, but I guess the jist of it is that sometimes you know something to be true even though you can't prove it and in fact there is a simpler more plausible theory that appears to disprove your belief.

Renesis said:
I'd laugh at him and go away

:roll:

Is it an idea to bring your camera and take a pic while giving him the finger?

Referring to the Ford-fuckyou pic

justin syder said:

I agree that it is a choice and I chose not to be religious anymore.

Jostyrostelli said:
Renesis said:
I'd laugh at him and go away

:roll:

Is it an idea to bring your camera and take a pic while giving him the finger?

Referring to the Ford-fuckyou pic

:lol:

yeah maybe, but luckily I never met such people so..

Religion and belief in God or no God has to come from within; one searches for God out of ones need or curiosity; and for all these purposes there are many religious books one can buy or go to any religious institution, but door to door preaching is offensive. Regardless the fact how Islam has spread in many countries through invading muslim army, it is forbidden in Islam to preach when one is not welcoming it. In my knowledge the most active preachers today are the Baptist and Evangelicals, where they also spread rumours and negative caricature of muslims and Islam; a friend of mine was given such a pamphlet at his door by a Christian preacher. I will try to get it and scan it for you all to see. I don't mind propagation of ones religion, but does it have to be on the basis of negative campaign against other religions.

Just spoke to my friend, meeting him this weekend, so by sunday I should be able to put up the pamphlet.

My statement to my religious friends is usually something like this: While I'm atheist, I totally respect your right to believe in whatever the hell you want. However, that doesn't give you the right to tell me that God isn't going to save me, that I'm going to hell, or whatever.

However, that doesn't give you the right to tell me that God isn't going to save me, that I'm going to hell, or whatever.

Funny you should say that because I thought you dont believe in God?

Its a bit of a contridiction, not to believe on God but not wanting someone to say that God isnt going to save you and that you will go to hell.

Who cares if they say that to you? I mean, ppl on the street would give you the middle finger or curse you out and it would be the same thing, just brush it off.

If there is a God then He will judge you not some looney. ;)