• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 driver needed

pdanev

Forum Addict
got a 64mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 video card in my laptop, and a driver from 2003 :thumbsdown:
i've been tryin to update the thing since ages, but no driver anywhere, ATi say they dont provide driver for mobility card in laptops, and that one should check the shop/manufacturer where the laptop's from. one problem though, the place where i got mine from says check www.ati.com :x
ohh, they have one driver though, the crappy one from 2003 that i already got with the laptop.

i've read some laptop forums and there'r 2 options. both are 3rd party stuff, one's called omega and the other's some mod for ati "regular" drivers. read alot about those, but people had lots of troubles with them and some serious harware issues caused by wrong setups etc.

any of u guys with a mobility radeon? how do u keep an up to date driver?
i already mailed the place where i got my laptop from, no response yet since its sunday...

I've got a mobilty radeon 7500 (?) in my IBM Laptop. No need to stay up to date anymore. The whole driver issue is overrated imo. Why do you need new drivers every month ? To gain 0,01 fps ?
But they do release drivers from time to time. And I've remember reading about a software that enables you to install the real ATI driver on your Laptop. Forgot the name though.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

download the latest catalysts there.

They're the offical ones with little improvements, one of those being that they've changed the inf file to accept the mobile version of certain cards. ATI wants you to download them from the official site of your laptop builder, but thats bs.. Because they're lazy ppl.

And why update your drivers?! the person above asks, well, one main factor is extra fps, and no its not 0,1 :roll: it varys. But thats not really the main point.
Bug fixes, and better compatibility with newer games.

Just check the release files and have a look yourself.

swek said:
I've got a mobilty radeon 7500 (?) in my IBM Laptop. No need to stay up to date anymore. The whole driver issue is overrated imo. Why do you need new drivers every month ? To gain 0,01 fps ?
But they do release drivers from time to time. And I've remember reading about a software that enables you to install the real ATI driver on your Laptop. Forgot the name though.
its more than 0,01 fps...
i believe if you use an 1,5 year old driver your FPS will be about 30% or more lower than if you would be using up-to-date drivers...

bigfoot1942 said:
its more than 0,01 fps...
i believe if you use an 1,5 year old driver your FPS will be about 30% or more lower than if you would be using up-to-date drivers...

Wow, that's a lot. I think I need to update my drivers ;).

pdanev said:

I don't know exactly, sounds good though. Why don't you give it a try ?

im gonna, gonna wait till tomorrow and c what the people from my laptop store tell me, i was a "very offended customer" cos of no driver update ;) maybe they'll offfer my a new laptop, hence no need to update stuff here :mrgreen:

the brand is JEWEL
mobile AMD Athlon XP 2500+
512DDR ram
the above mention video card
60gb hdd, dvd burner, 15' screen, usbs infra...and all the usuall crap

Ah see, thats where ati doesn't really think about, your brand isn't one of the more popular ones (not that that means your notebook is of any less quality) and its very unlikely that they have recent vid drivers on their website.

If you don't trust the omega drivers (i myself trust them and have installed them with no probs on a friends laptop with a rad. mobility 9700) you could always try some other notebook brand's website and have a look for some drivers there.
I'm sure there are lots of models that use the same gfx card.

www.acer.com
www.hp.com
www.dell.nl
ect..

^ yeah, indeed, thats the problem that its no hp, acer etc :?
i went for this for price + customized reasons, i could tell the guys what i want and the way i want it, its got good stuff in it & the same configuration cost me 1/2 as much as if it were an hp
good idea though to check out those sites ;)

i found one on hp, but it gives me the INF error stuff that's described on http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ :?
well, gonna wait till i get a reply tomorrow from the guys at JEWEL and c what they say, if not im gonna try out the modded INF stuff

pdanev said:
im gonna, gonna wait till tomorrow and c what the people from my laptop store tell me, i was a "very offended customer" cos of no driver update ;) maybe they'll offfer my a new laptop, hence no need to update stuff here :mrgreen:
dream on...

and you really should try the omega drivers, they are pretty good, and havent cased me any more trouble than the catalyst drivers (official ati drivers) did they're based on ;)

^ from what i read, omega drivers are really nice for pc, but a lot of laptop people have severe trouble with those. dont ask me why/how...etc, but i saw a lot of people complaing so that was reason enough for me to think it over :roll:
if nothing works though, im probably gonna give them a chance :)