Attention New York students! TopGear.com America wants you!

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
Short summary: Topgear.com US (the website, not Top Gear America the show) needs interns.

http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/topgear.com-america-seeks-interns/

Do you:
-Live in or around New York City?
-Attend a college or university that will give you course credit for an internship?
-Have opposable thumbs?
-Love cars more than you heart your little Sister?
-Install a fiber optic backbone to more quickly torrent new "Top Gear" episodes?
-Fantasize about slaving over TopGear.com minutiae for free while drinking bad coffee?
If you answer yes to most of these questions, you might be the right guy/girl for us. You'd start in January.

Musts:
-Feel confident whipping through the creation and processing of documents and spreadsheets.
-Be able to distinguish a Caterham from a Catera.
-Love fluorescent-lit cube farms.
-Really, really want to be here.

Big Pluses:
-Web publishing experience
-Photoshop, Flash, and video-editing skills
-Be able to distinguish a Lancia Fulvia from a Lancia Flavia.

Deal breakers:
-You'd rather watch that other show with Gear in the title
-You'd rather traipse around a mall than a junkyard
-You don't have an opinion about the worst car ever made

Drop us a note at topgear@bbc.com with "Internship" in the subject line, attach a resume, and let us know where you are, what you're doing and why we'll love you.

Oh, Cock! I can't do it in January! But I'll ask them if they are looking for summer interns. I need an internship in order to graduate college, and what better internship than TopGear!!!!

Just one question - how do you guy understand the line "Fantasize about slaving over TopGear.com minutiae for free while drinking bad coffee?" Does this mean it's an unpaid position?

+1 rep for the news :)

Oh great, why does this have to be in New York??

Last edited:
Oh, cock.

I don't live in NYC, I'm not a university student, I don't have a little sister, and I hate coffee. OTOH, I could probably install a fibreoptic backbone and have some web publishing and Photoshop experience. (Unfortunately, I'm hopeless with Flash.)

Permission to say "cock" for the second time this post.

And to think that I almost went to study in NYC...

Oh, Cock! I can't do it in January! But I'll ask them if they are looking for summer interns. I need an internship in order to graduate college, and what better internship than TopGear!!!!

Just one question - how do you guy understand the line "Fantasize about slaving over TopGear.com minutiae for free while drinking bad coffee?" Does this mean it's an unpaid position?

+1 rep for the news :)

Lots of these kinds of internships are for the experience rather than the money. Also, they could hire a professional if they were intending to pay.

I don't live in or around NYC, I'm not in school, I don't drink coffee (more with James May on that one), and I don't have experience in the required fields. If you couple all that to the fact that I don't work for free, I guess I'll never be doing an internship for anyone. I just obsessively write comments to Clarkson's and May's articles, which I read weekly, and I leave show/magazine ideas on here all the time.

I guess I lied! I do work for free! :blink: :cry: At least it's only when I'm fulfilling my mentally unbalanced need to see more Top Gear, and to read what Jeremy and James have to say!:?

P.S. If Top Gear is looking to hire an American who obsessively thinks of ideas for the show, I'm your man.

Already sent my resume in. Probably not gonna get it, because if I do it would mean that I need to take a semester off, find a prohibitively expensive apartment in NYC, and work without pay at an intense pace.

I'm starting to regret sending in that resume. :cry:

D:
oh god
I'm a graphic design major and I need to take an internship soon THAT IS FUCKING TEMPTING.
*flails*

All you people in the northeast just have to commute into NYC on a limited daily budget...how hard can that be?

All you people in the northeast just have to commute into NYC on a limited daily budget...how hard can that be?

IT'S ONLY A 4 HOUR DRIVE RIGHT D:
MY CAR IS COMFY I CAN SLEEP IN IT.
*FLAIL*

^FFS, stop shouting!

Lots of these kinds of internships are for the experience rather than the money. Also, they could hire a professional if they were intending to pay.

So it's more like a slavery-ship :lol:

(I know that most internships are like that, I just don't think it's fair - we are doing all the dirty work and someone else gets paid for it)

I am furiously giving my computer the finger right now.

I sent my resume in. I am so freaking excited...

I really hope they at least consider me. I'm willing to take an entire semester off and work a little bit. I have been in an academic setting for way too long and it's about time I get some work experience, even though it's not directly related to my major.

I gotta get some references.