(AU) R18 Game Classification

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Guys,

I know most of you are in support of R18 games for Australia, the attorney general is currently reviewing the classification scheme so fill in the form and email them to let them know your support (or lack of support)

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.ns...sificationforComputerGames-PublicConsultation

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/rwpattach.nsf/VAP/(3273BD3F76A7A5DEDAE36942A54D7D90)~Submission+template+-+computer+games+-+R+18plus+classification+category.pdf/$file/Submission+template+-+computer+games+-+R+18plus+classification+category.pdf

I think Aliens vs Predator showed just what a farce the ratings board in Australia is. The game was originally refused classification due to excessive gore and what have you, and the game developers basically stated 'bugger it, we're not gonna resubmit an edited version because the game is for adults and we don't like the fact the Australian govt. won't allow Australian adults to make their own choices'. Next thing we know, AvP has been reclassified MA15+ in some sort of astonishing (and lets be honest, pathetic...although I'm not complaining) backflip, allowing a game clearly stated for adults into the hands of children. The AvP example must show Atkinson that although he may have the best intentions (personally I think he's just being a cunt), it's clearly failed when children are able to get their hands on games that in other countries would otherwise be restricted.

It shows we desperately need an R18+ rating. It's just stupid that there are any number of graphic and violent movies out on the shelves for adult entertainment but Atkinson seems to think video games are still solely played by 10 year olds, you know, Pacman or Harvest Moon, etc. The average age for video gamers in Australia I believe, is over 25 and that we're being denied the ability to make our own entertainment choices is a severe injustice that can no longer be ignored.

Last edited:
Just submitted my ...submission?...

As someone wanting to get into the games industry it's a rather sad sight to see the half aborted mess that is currently our classification system.

The current restrictions certainly aren't discouraging people from ordering on-line or even downloading games illegally.

The current restrictions certainly aren't discouraging people from ordering on-line or even downloading games illegally.

Nope....

People do all sorts of things to get around the restrictions, I wonder how many copies of L4D2 have been "gifted" to Australians.

Damn you South Australia! :p

I know, shameful. :?

Exactly. Perfect example of arbitrary laws made by people with no idea of what they are doing.

Just like the proposed internet "filter" :rolleyes:

Or trying to restrict young drivers from driving fast cars with laws that have no relevance to actual power/weight ratios. Banning 40hp/litre V8's but allowing 100hp/litre 4 cylinder engines. Banning all turbos and hence discriminating against slow and economical turbo diesels.

I know, shameful. :?

Exactly. Perfect example of arbitrary laws made by people with no idea of what they are doing.

Just like the proposed internet "filter" :rolleyes:

Or trying to restrict young drivers from driving fast cars with laws that have no relevance to actual power/weight ratios. Banning 40hp/litre V8's but allowing 100hp/litre 4 cylinder engines. Banning all turbos and hence discriminating against slow and economical turbo diesels.

Agreed.

Although, at least in QLD, P-platers can drive turbo diesels, they're exempt from the restrictions.

Me making a point about those laws is so far off topic that I think I'll just leave it at that though.

That internet filter is fucking stupid too.

Hmm, did not know that about Aliens vs Predator :blink:

Frankly i'm surprised they reconsidered.

Fuck our government is stupid :mad:

Although, at least in QLD, P-platers can drive turbo diesels, they're exempt from the restrictions.

Yeah thats the thing, each state has different laws. SA didn't have any restrictions at all up until recently.

You know a law is bullshit and not well thought through when different politicians in different states sit down and come up with completely different laws that are supposed to address the same problem.

But as you say, back to the video game classifications...

There are a bunch of other games that you can buy on steam that are at least as gorey as l4d2 but they have slipped through. L4d2 got hammered because it was popular.

Again, the lack of consistancy by the decision makers destroys their own credibility.