Audi A1 - Has Anyone Test Driven One of These?

Heathrow

Yes, as in the airport.
Car(s)
1995 BMW 325i SE
Someone I know is thinking about maybe buying a 2010 model next year.

Doesn't seem to be a road test in the FG "Own Car Review Thread".

There is also not much on them on the UK Audi Forums.

Any scuttlebut on the A1?

:smile:

My sister has an A1 with the smallest petrol engine (80ish hp?). Fairly basic spec. Even for such a small engine it's able to accelerate onto the motorway at decent speed, unlike previous N/A VAG engines. It even feels fruitier than my mums N/A 1.6 Golf.

I guess it's expensive for what it is, but it can become quite nice looking with a couple of options.

I haven't test-driven one, but I sat in one at the dealer. This was my #1 choice, I even had it configured to the last screw. Then I sat in it, and it was so terribly small and cramped that I got out pretty quickly again and never looked back.

So unless your friend is a small person he or she should sit in one first.

My guess is your sister has the same engine as my sister in her Fabia, 86hp 1.2 TSI. Quite okay for the size of car, but obviously I'd recommend a Fabia instead of the A1 :lol:

An A1 that didn't have a "slight engine fire" is going to cost at least 10k - a similarly old Fabia is going to be 2-3k cheaper if you don't go for bottom feeder models, and more if you do. Hell, you can even get a DSG Fabia for under 9k.

I haven't test-driven one, but I sat in one at the dealer. This was my #1 choice, I even had it configured to the last screw. Then I sat in it, and it was so terribly small and cramped that I got out pretty quickly again and never looked back.

I'm 186cm and I can fit just fine. It's not exactly a limousine but I would be happy with it in everyday driving. Probably not as much on very long journeys tho. However, this car probably isn't for those who drive a lot outside cities.

i hope that person is a girl?

Yes, she is.

My sister has an A1 with the smallest petrol engine (80ish hp?). Fairly basic spec. Even for such a small engine it's able to accelerate onto the motorway at decent speed, unlike previous N/A VAG engines. It even feels fruitier than my mums N/A 1.6 Golf.

I guess it's expensive for what it is, but it can become quite nice looking with a couple of options.

Yeah, she knows but she likes Audis now and an A3 is "too big" to park. :rolleyes:

Also, she said needs the diesel engine because of the daily commute.
(I ought to have mentioned that before, oops.)

She is about 165cm, so should be OK. And she will test drive one next year before buying.

My guess is your sister has the same engine as my sister in her Fabia, 86hp 1.2 TSI. Quite okay for the size of car, but obviously I'd recommend a Fabia instead of the A1 :lol:

An A1 that didn't have a "slight engine fire" is going to cost at least 10k - a similarly old Fabia is going to be 2-3k cheaper if you don't go for bottom feeder models, and more if you do. Hell, you can even get a DSG Fabia for under 9k.

I think a Skoda Fabia would be better value as well or even a VW equivalent.

Thanks to all!

:cool:

e-cookies all round.

I'm 186cm and I can fit just fine. It's not exactly a limousine but I would be happy with it in everyday driving. Probably not as much on very long journeys tho. However, this car probably isn't for those who drive a lot outside cities.

I'm about your height and I did fit in just fine, I just didn't feel comfortable in any way being in it. Let me put it like this: a Mini feels much bigger inside, same story for a Fiat 500. The A1 has a low roof and the small windows which are typical for modern cars. Combined with the dark Audi interior, that is not a good combination in my humble opinion.

If parking an A3 is a problem, consider a Smart ForTwo as well... Depending on how big her parking issues are, that may be a viable option if she doesn't need fabia levels of space.

If parking an A3 is a problem, consider a Smart ForTwo as well... Depending on how big her parking issues are, that may be a viable option if she doesn't need fabia levels of space.

Now I like the look of the Smart ForTwo and it is a good City car, but she has an Audi thing at present.

A1 with a 2.0 TDI and quattro. :think:

Unless by some stupidity the 1,6 diesel is less economical, the 2.0 won't be the option.

Last edited:
She probably doesn't need 170hp to go back and forth to the shops. Furthermore, the most powerful A1 diesel is a 2.0 with 143hp. Even the smallest diesel would be more than sufficient in that car.

You cannot really buy Audis that are really underpowered :dunno: case in point, the A1 petrols start with the 86hp 1.2 TSI while both the Polo and Fabia still offer n/a 1.2s as the base engine. Those may be considered lacking in power if you want, but are still enough to move the car.

I'm still thinking 10k+ GBP is a bit much for a used A1 TDI... the 105hp engine should be fine though. I had that in a rental Golf VI, and while it certainly wasn't fast it was okay. The A1 should be noticeably lighter.
If she just wants an Audi then so be it :dunno: then I don't see any need for further searching though, there's only the A1 that's smaller than the A3 in the desired age bracket.

Ah, that useful too, thanks again.

I will suggest she tries test driving the Polo and Fabia for comparison, as they might be in the same VAG dealership anyway.

BTW I have never seen one, I dont think. Also the A3s are pretty rare around here too, Golfs & BMW 1 series are more common.