Rumour Mill: Audi Prolouge Concept

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
A month before the LA Auto show, Audi's teasing the new A9, which is going to be unveiled (in one form or another) at the show.

Can't say anything about any detail, but the overall shape is remarkably like this concept that's been floating around for a while:

I've been waiting for electronic 'paint' for years so this could be pretty exciting, one step closer to the Aston Martin Vanish. I wonder how long it would take someone to hack this to show a police livery. :think:

Those renders look like some random guy too a BMW i8, stretched it a bit, then dressed it up with an Audiesque grille.

Does the A7 not already rival the CLS?

yes, but the A7 (so far- this is of course still speculation) doesn?t offer a Shooting Brake like the CLS ... and since Mercdes sells about 4* of those Shooting Brakes each year, Audi just has to get in on that market ;)

*cue someone looking the actual numbers up and proving me wrong despite me obviously hyperbolising

It looks quite short to be a A7 shooting brake. More like S-class coupe competitor based on the A8?

It looks quite short to be a A7 shooting brake. More like S-class coupe competitor based on the A8?

Using the picture, a ruler and A8 and A7 width, I can tell you that the Car in the picture could come out as either 4 Meter 70 (A8 based) or 4 Meter 60 (A7 based). Wich is 40cm shorter than an S-class coupe, 50cm shorter than a A8, 40cm shorter than a A7 and 30cm short of a BMW6 Series. Wich of course also would mean my Shooting brake theroy is rubbish. From those numbers it looks more than an Audi R8 replacement than anything else ...

Then again, this says nothing as the pic may well be doctored with ...

Last edited:
And who says it's not wider? The A7 and A8 are based on the same platform, VAG MLB.

And who says it's not wider? [...]

Common sense. 1 Meter 95 for the A8 is already HUGE, even in it?s class. You?ll have to look at american Trucks (or trucks in general) to find something wider on the road ... (ok, the maybach is 1,98 - I give you that)

And then we?re still talking mirrors ...

But again, these numbers I?m throwing around in my previous post rely on the picture being accurate. If that is doctored with to make it look better, this is all rubbish.

Last edited:
We'll know more in a week, unless there are more leaks.

TO THE GOOGLE MACHINE!

Using the picture, a ruler and A8 and A7 width, I can tell you that the Car in the picture could come out as either 4 Meter 70 (A8 based) or 4 Meter 60 (A7 based). Wich is 40cm shorter than an S-class coupe, 50cm shorter than a A8, 40cm shorter than a A7 and 30cm short of a BMW6 Series. Wich of course also would mean my Shooting brake theroy is rubbish. From those numbers it looks more than an Audi R8 replacement than anything else ...

Then again, this says nothing as the pic may well be doctored with ...

Well then a R8 replacement is certainly a possibility. It's due for an upgrade, the first one came out in 2007. For instance, the SLS came out in 2010 and already has a replacement.

Common sense. 1 Meter 95 for the A8 is already HUGE, even in it?s class. You?ll have to look at american Trucks (or trucks in general) to find something wider on the road ... (ok, the maybach is 1,98 - I give you that)
Lucille's wider.

A teaser. Looks like the design language (from the 2 frames that you can actually see anything) is evolving even more than what the TT brought.

I don't mind them if they're functional, like channeling air towards the brakes.

I don't mind them if they're functional, like channeling air towards the brakes.

Right now I don?t mind them even if they are non-functional, these sort of gills look very good on a lot of cars ... IMO it?s just going to be one of these things you (meaning me) will prob be sick of seeing on cars in a couple of years time. Right now they are fine ... but when all cars have got them, you get sick of that.