klutch

Courteous urinator
Car(s)
Do it for me.
From Autoblog:

Audi Q5 to be built in China
Posted Apr 18th 2008 7:02PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing, Crossovers/CUVs, Audi, Misc. Auto Shows

Click above for a high-res gallery of the Audi Cross Coupe Quattro.

We're less than 12 hours away from seeing the Audi Q5 officially revealed at the Auto China Show in Beijing, and according to S?ddeutsche Zeitung, Audi's new cute 'ute will be assembled in Changchun, in northern China. The German rag cited unspecified China-based sources for the information, but Audi isn't answering any questions ahead of the reveal tomorrow. The Q5 is due to hit dealers in Europe later this summer and sales are expected to begin in the States towards the beginning of next year. It's likely we'll hear about Audi's production plans for the Q5 during tomorrow's press conference and you can watch the reveal live on Audi's online media site.

Lame vehicle. Even lamer that its built in China...for the US market. Screw you, Audi, now you're on the blacklist with Chrysler.

Ah, the awesomeness.

Hopefully Audi can now match the low build quality of modern Mercs and Bimmers!

And re-treaded old tires! Ohhh the joys of cheap labour! I assume if Audi keeps a high standards in their chinese factories, I'm sure they can match the quality of their German counterparts. Let's face it, everything we own these days are made in China. In a way, it's kinda like when Mercedes decided to build the first generation ML in Alabama. We all know how that went...

^ I know especially well how the Alabama experiment went for Mercedes, since my mom has owned a ML430 for almost 9 years. Needless to say the car is falling apart... it's in a state that you'd think it was 30 years old.

But you're correct, if they focus on putting out quality products it should be fine. Heck, Apple makes all their products in China and they're all very nicely built.

Apple Nano = fail in my house I am sorry to say.

Key will be the quality control at each sub-assembly stage and the quality of the component suppliers.

I just don't like the fact that a North American market car is being built there. And for the record, I don't buy stuff made in China.

I just don't like the fact that a North American market car is being built there. And for the record, I don't buy stuff made in China.

Can you seriously hang on to that standard? If so, you do have my respect. I do try that myself but with some products you just don't have a choice:(

You'll pay a little more for some stuff, but in my mind, you're buying better quality stuff from countries that generally aren't facist dictatorships with no respect for national sovereignty or human rights.

Oh come on, cars aside most stuff from China is decent to good quality.

Yeah, there was a time that you could buy electronics made in Japan, so anything with made in China on it was considered cheaper in price and quality. But nowadays everything is made in China.

Got a laptop? Even if it doesn't say made in China, most of the internals will probably be from there.

I don't buy stuff made in China.

Isn't that something that like impossible these days? Even if you buy a Japanese or American car, there are still parts inside that are made in China. I really don't give a toth where my things are made, as long as it reliable, cheap, and well built. People always complain about how China is so bad, they never even think how expensive the stuff in our markets would be without cheap labor. It's the same story with Mexico, or any other countries with cheap labor.

^ I know especially well how the Alabama experiment went for Mercedes, since my mom has owned a ML430 for almost 9 years. Needless to say the car is falling apart... it's in a state that you'd think it was 30 years old.

But you're correct, if they focus on putting out quality products it should be fine. Heck, Apple makes all their products in China and they're all very nicely built.

it took apple at least one generation of MBP to get the chassis right. i think the first one conducted heat like no ones business and wasnt particularly sturdy. even the ones now, the lid dont shut flush on both sides.... apparently this is normal and accepted.

they still have problems now with yellow tinting on the LED based screens and woeful application of thermal paste.

my MBP has already had to have a battery replacement. and ive not had it more than 6months.

but, i suspect theyre probably better than a lot of other manufacturers.... it doesnt really matter how much 6 sigma bollox you cram into your QC things are still gonna go wrong for a small portion of your customers.

they certainly dont quibble over repairs though, apple care are more than willing to help you so when you do have to phone them up for help its a pretty good experience.

other than that, yeah apples products are pretty well made.

i hope it goes the same for audi, they are almost synonymous with the phrase high quality interior..... i was in a A6 avant the other day that'd done close to 200,000 miles. everything, even the manual window winders still felt precise and tight... that interior didnt speak 200,000 miles to me.... more like 20,000 lol.

Oh come on, cars aside most stuff from China is decent to good quality.

Yeah, there was a time that you could buy electronics made in Japan, so anything with made in China on it was considered cheaper in price and quality. But nowadays everything is made in China.

Got a laptop? Even if it doesn't say made in China, most of the internals will probably be from there.

That gets tricky. Mine is made in Taiwan. Depending on your allegiances, it may or may not be Chinese.

That 'everything has to be made in China to cut costs' is a bunch of crap. We can produce stuff here just as 'inexpensively' (not cheap). I know a lot of you will contest this, but consider cars. We can, and do, build quality cars in Canada, the US, and Mexico. Even Brazil. We can do so, and make a profit, at the same cost as having them produced in China. Labour isn't the only factor affecting the build cost, especially when our productivity and efficiency is so much higher than any auto-producing country in Asia. Add to the fact we can do this with domestic and other Western suppliers, like Magna, Delco, Bosh and Steyr, there's no reason to be making our cars 'over there'. I know I sound a little nationalist here, and, well, I am - I would much rather see my money go back into the Canadian/American/European economies than a despotic regime.

You'll pay a little more for some stuff, but in my mind, you're buying better quality stuff from countries that generally aren't facist dictatorships with no respect for national sovereignty or human rights.

Fascism? Be still, my bleeding heart! Granted, the government may suck balls, but we're no North Korea. :rolleyes:

I myself have not done business in mainland China, but I am close to many people who have - I can say that eschewing products simply because they are made in China is incredibly ignorant. Judge based on quality and price.

/used to work for Magna and thinks they'll do fine
//worked for other Canadian manufacturing companies
///all successful except that one, but they deserve it

Lame vehicle. Even lamer that its built in China...for the US market. Screw you, Audi, now you're on the blacklist with Chrysler.

another reason to avoid an Audi..... :|

And the fact that it looks like a VW Tiguan with a victorian style heater nailed to the front. :yucky:

Isn't that something that like impossible these days? Even if you buy a Japanese or American car, there are still parts inside that are made in China. I really don't give a toth where my things are made, as long as it reliable, cheap, and well built. People always complain about how China is so bad, they never even think how expensive the stuff in our markets would be without cheap labor. It's the same story with Mexico, or any other countries with cheap labor.

Following the logic of that statement, slavery is A-OK.
:rolleyes:

you guys are acting like audi build quality has been top notch up til now.

rofl. my buddy has a 2005 A4...the 2nd gear synchro went out at 4400 miles. lights started going out on the dash at 10K miles.

friend in high school had a 99 A4...same thing...lights out...electrical system was a joke.