Audi R8 official pics and info

aren't they hoying in that beast of an engine from the S8?

un-dee said:
so the SL65 AMG and BMW M6 are family cars?
yep, if there is a limitiation than it must be so. :lol:
I think they are for small families, or families that the kids are grown up already or something.

jakifirbec said:
un-dee said:
so the SL65 AMG and BMW M6 are family cars?
yep, if there is a limitiation than it must be so. :lol:
I think they are for small families, or families that the kids are grown up already or something.

I think for those cars it's more along the lines of using the 155mph limit as an excuse to avoid making sure the tires and aero are up to hitting 200mph safely.

Not really, the cars are built for the higher top speeds and then limited to 250km/h. And I think the reason is that they always use that as an argument when somebody throws the subject speed limit in on german politics.

that's possibly one reason, it's also a hell of a lot cheaper to build a car that is only designed to go at 155mph rather than one that is designed for it's top speed.

Blythy said:
that's possibly one reason, it's also a hell of a lot cheaper to build a car that is only designed to go at 155mph rather than one that is designed for it's top speed.
It would probably be cheaper, but us Germans are not cutting corners here. ;)

The cars are very much engineered to go beyond their 155mph limiter. (Remember Jeremy's Phaeton review, for instance.) The cars are not limited to save money, they are limited because of this old gentleman's agreement. Fortunately manufacturers are starting to break it.

If you remove the limiter on a German/Euro-spec car, you don't have to change a thing. Unlike on some American-spec cars which are fitted with comfy tires, softer suspension, et cetera. Sometimes they are even limited to only 120mph as a result of this.

We already had a thread on this issue here:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=limited&start=0

Everytime I see this car I like it more and more. I really like the round screw like things in the headlights.
:canadian:

NAIDANAC A said:
Everytime I see this car I like it more and more. I really like the round screw like things in the headlights.
the more i see it, the more i like it while finding stuff wrong with it. For one thing, why is it so much heavier than the Gallardo? (nearly 300lbs)

bartboy9891 said:
NAIDANAC A said:
the more i see it, the more i like it while finding stuff wrong with it. For one thing, why is it so much heavier than the Gallardo? (nearly 300lbs)

well the gallardo proably uses alot more lightweight materials, more carbon fibre and it is also longer than the gallardo, but i do agree it shouldnt be that much heavier.

R8=1558kg
997 Carrera S=1422kg
V8 Vantage=1570kg

weight comparisons of its main rivals, yes there are some obvious reasons for its extra weight over the 911, the 4wheel drive system, bigger engine, its probably bigger in overall size and wheelbase. but hey, its lighter than the V8, if thats any consolation?

also a question about the allwheeldrive, whts the torque split???

I remember youngwarrior telling us we will be surprised by the low weight.... from his "inside sources"

I agree its a bit too heavy, but god i still want one, its the best looking car of the year so far.

A guy on the forza team said it looked at lot worse in person...said that his hype was diminished. I can not see how that is true though.

MarkusF150 said:
Really nice car. It's another "porsche killer" :twisted:
I think it's a case of the opposite. If someone tries to put the R8 up against the 997 GT3 (rival in therms of price, power, image, weight...) I'm afraid the R8 has already lost...

Btw; hat is a "Porsche killer"? It certainly needs to better a Porsche in more than flat out speed. I can't think of anything that does that, if we take out of the equation trackday specials like Radicals and ect...

The_Clincher said:
bartboy9891 said:
NAIDANAC A said:

well the gallardo proably uses alot more lightweight materials, more carbon fibre and it is also longer than the gallardo, but i do agree it shouldnt be that much heavier.

R8=1558kg
997 Carrera S=1422kg
V8 Vantage=1570kg

weight comparisons of its main rivals, yes there are some obvious reasons for its extra weight over the 911, the 4wheel drive system, bigger engine, its probably bigger in overall size and wheelbase. but hey, its lighter than the V8, if thats any consolation?

also a question about the allwheeldrive, whts the torque split???
assume the torque-split is 40-front and 60-rear. theyve found a way to make it work very well on the RS4 apparently, id assume they'd use the same for this

Why buy a rebodied Gallardo? id rather say i owned a Lambo not an Audi.

don vito said:

ok you can spend those many extra years earning the money for your gallardo, while those of us who buy the R8 will be using that extra money to go on lavish vacations, support possible familes, enjoy numerous amounts of track day events where ever, not at all regretting out decisions :) ...unless the car turns out to be a pos then i take this statement back ;)

The_Clincher said:
don vito said:

ok you can spend those many extra years earning the money for your gallardo, while those of us who buy the R8 will be using that extra money to go on lavish vacations, support possible familes, enjoy numerous amounts of track day events where ever, not at all regretting out decisions :) ...unless the car turns out to be a pos then i take this statement back ;)

It wont be that much cheaper.

don vito said:
The_Clincher said:
don vito said:

It wont be that much cheaper.

the gallardo is nearly twice as much as the R8 in the US