Audi RS4 Problem

If you have an 06 RS4 I am sure Progressive didn't use used parts, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would however take the car back to the body shop they suggested you use, and ask them to fix the issue. All the body shops they "work with" as a provide a lifetime guarantee. The body shops always want more money anyway, so they will want to fix it, and make progressive pay for it.

Dude, go to Royal Motors in San Francisco, they are a pretty decent Audi/VW Dealership. Your car is just an 06, so any problem is either 1) Accident 2) Warranty. They dealership will tell you the problem is either, and if its accident just them to hold.

Could my accident have caused that?

Bearing in mind, I was hit in the front right panel at around 25-30 mph.

Haha, Thanks Jay.

I feel picked on now :(

Now that I know what you Finalgear folks are like, I'm gonna run away now :D

That was a joke, basically trying to say "this isn't the best place for these kind of questions." Didn't mean to make you look dumb, or to pick on you, so don't take it as any more than a bit of fun. I assumed you would have picked up on it and just ignored my comment :D

Tubby: Thanks for the assist ;)

Dude, go to Royal Motors in San Francisco, they are a pretty decent Audi/VW Dealership. Your car is just an 06, so any problem is either 1) Accident 2) Warranty. They dealership will tell you the problem is either, and if its accident just them to hold.

Sounds like a good idea, unfortunatly, I live in Gilroy, which is like two hours away, maybe more :(. But I'll go check it out.

As for Warranty, no can do. Not only is my car second-hand (purchased for 45,000 straight), but I checked it out first thing, Audi warranty won't cover not-at-fault accidents. And stupid Insurance companies.

An 06 with 45k on it.. damn.
I am going to assume the car was not CPO and you have already passed the 50k mark which is what the original warranty covered it too.
If that is the case, find a good VW/Audi tech that is a non dealer in your area. I have no idea about Gilroy as I dont really count that as part of the bay area. You could also go to a dealer near by but again it will be pricey, but not as much as in the city.

There is things like Advanced Auto Service in the city that pretty much only work with VWAG car, but again they are in San Francisco.

Really go to audiworld, or even vwvortex and they might be able to help you out more. You could even try passatworld.com where I am a member (but not very active anymore) as they are very kind to Audi owners and in the Anything Auto forum should be able to point you the right way as there is a lot of Northern Cal guy.

Oh on the post about not using used parts, I would not put that past any auto company. I had an insurance company try to talk my body shop in to using some "referb" parts on my Merc. They pretty much told them to take it up with me, to which I was very pissed. But i would not put it pass many lesser body shops to just say yes.

No no, purchased for $45,000. Lol, I don't think it's possible to rack up 45,000 miles on a 06. Also, the car has a salvaged title (due to prior accident) before I purchased it, so that's why there's a problem with the warranty.

Thanks for your help everyone, I dropped off my car today at Audi of Stevens Creek and should have everything inspected and/or fixed in a couple days.

I'm driving a Pontiac Grand Am as my rental car, wheee.

Also, the car has a salvaged title (due to prior accident) before I purchased it

AHA! There is probably half the problem.

Sorry to say, if your car was bought with a salvage title, you really have no recourse, because you accepted the terms.

I really really am sorry to say, this might be the beginning of whole slew of problems, as cars that were wrecks severe enough to have a salvaged title will never be right; they will creak and groan and make funny noises, among other undesirable traits.

The Salvage title really put me off at first too, but after running a Carfax report before purchasing it, it seemed fine. The reason it has a salvage is because the previous owner curbed it. The damages were like $6000-$7000.

But than again, I DID get the car for only $45,000, when it's worth like $60,000 at least.

I can't be a bent flywheel, you'd definately notice that since the clutch won't be working properly anymore. Flywheels are also pretty solid and it would be the last thing that would bend in an accident.
From my knowledge of engines it sounds like a minor problem which causes a lot of noise since it only appears at idle speed. I used to have an almost similar problem a few weeks a ago, I checked the timing chains and the adjustable valve timing and nothing seemed to cause the noise, in on desperate attempt to check the wear on the water pump I had to take down the auxiliary belt....and there it was:
DSC00006.jpg

The inside of the belt was worn out and caused the noise while it was going over the various tension pulleys :I

AHA! There is probably half the problem.

Sorry to say, if your car was bought with a salvage title, you really have no recourse, because you accepted the terms.

I really really am sorry to say, this might be the beginning of whole slew of problems, as cars that were wrecks severe enough to have a salvaged title will never be right; they will creak and groan and make funny noises, among other undesirable traits.

Especially at it's age. It takes A LOT of damage to get a salvage title on a car that new. Even with todays costs for body repair.

The Salvage title really put me off at first too, but after running a Carfax report before purchasing it, it seemed fine. The reason it has a salvage is because the previous owner curbed it. The damages were like $6000-$7000.

But than again, I DID get the car for only $45,000, when it's worth like $60,000 at least.

OMG.. I feel sorry for you man. Really, I do. You got raped. Sorry, you did.
I had about more then that damage to my S-Class and the idea of salvaged was not even talked about. But $45k is WAY TOO MUCH for a car that is salvage. Really cars with salvage titles are to stay away from, no matter what the history is as there is Insurance issue, warranty issues, problems, and ususally there value is cut by 50%.

Also are you even sure you have an RS4... The RS4 was not introduced to the US till the 07 MY. And you said this is an 06 RS4, which, to my knowledges was never sold in the US.
To quote that BMW Thread (with a twist), I think you should sell your RS4 and buy a Civic.

That's incorrect.

RS4s arrived on our shores in late 2006? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am SURE it wasn't just this May.

As for Salvage titles, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

I brought a 1993 Nissan 300zx twin-turbo a few years ago on a salvage title, and that car lasted me four years, mind you, it did have something around 180,000 miles by the time I was done with it. I had to replace the turbos but.. other than that, zero problems.

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

A couple of things I'd like to add.

1) I'm in Sunnyvale, so if you just want a second opinion I'm not too far away.
1a) I have a decent bodyshop up the road which can also do some mechanical stuff that I trust implicitly, so there's one point of reference.

2) You should never have allowed Progressive to determine who would fix your car. It's not required in California. Now, you can get into a question of cost, (that is, they don't have to pay whatever your shop wants, just what's determined to be "reasonable") but you ALWAYS want work done properly. This should just be a fight over costs. And you are entitled to fight them over the settlement. If the difference in estimates is less than $5,000, you might be able to use small claims...but...

3) The minute they jerked you around you should have gotten a lawyer. Lawyers have a way of getting things done just by showing you are serious.

4) I feel differently about salvage titles. Primarily because a salvage title fundamentally implies that the car cannot be insured for its value if it is stolen or damaged at your fault. You should probably make sure your car is covered for loss. And if Progressive were to find out, btw, it might limit their claim, so for sure don't mention it to them.

5) Final thought about salvage titles on expensive cars: while you may have paid less for the car, it's worth less. And it will always be harder to sell onwards. I have fewer issues with an old salvage total Corolla, but for a new Audi? I dunno.

But still at this point, the real keys are probably another shop and a lawyer. Don't let Progressive tell you what they are going to do now...it's time for you to remind them that THEY are the bitch.

Steve

Since your car has a salvaged title, I can promise you it did not only have 7-8k of damage...

The insurance already knows the car has a branded title.

MY 07 was sold in 06, so you probably have an 07 bought in 06.