Audi?s ?son-of-R8? is ready to roar

Dino

aka Dins
Car(s)
Porsche Boxster S / Audi A4 Avant
From AutoExpress:

The R8?s little brother has been let out to play! These exclusive pictures show the fastest TT ever ? and it?s the first version of Audi?s compact coup? to wear the historic RS badge.

The TT RS prototype, spied here without any camouflage, is virtually production ready, and earmarked to go on sale at the end of the year.

And not only will the new flagship dethrone the TT S as the fastest model available, it?s set to look the part, too. The RS will be instantly identifiable over lesser models thanks to a lower ride height, R8-style bodykit, chrome wing mirrors and enlarged oval exhaust pipes.

The wheelarches have also been widened to make room for 19-inch alloys. An arched rear spoiler and the addition of RS badges will complete the look.

In typical RS fashion, the TT will be no slouch, thanks to Audi?s first in-line five-cylinder petrol engine for more than 10 years. This layout can trace its roots back to the Quattro of the Eighties, but was last used in the 227bhp S6 of 1995.

The 2.5-litre twin-turbo unit in the TT RS will deliver 350bhp ? 80bhp more than the TT S ? and is mated to a six-speed manual. A seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox will be offered as an option.

Sequential turbochargers ensure that power delivery is linear throughout the rev range. A smaller turbo does the work at lower revs, before the larger blower takes over and provides thrust all the way to the red line.

Audi?s quattro four-wheel-drive system will be used. Combine this with the engine?s torque and a 160kg kerbweight advantage over the R8, and the TT RS shouldn?t be far behind the supercar in a straight line. Expect a 0-60mph time of less than five seconds and a top speed limited to 155mph.

Inside, the coup? gets a pair of sculpted racing seats, a trademark flat-bottomed steering wheel and drilled aluminium pedals. Other features include Magnetic Ride adaptive dampers and the latest version of Audi?s MMI cabin control system with a touchscreen interface.

When the TT RS goes on sale in the UK at the end of the year it will cost around ?40,000 ? ?7,000 more than the TT S.

http://img157.imageshack.**/img157/6915/carphoto27911725rn6.jpg
http://img398.imageshack.**/img398/7064/carphoto27912025sn8.jpg

:shock:

I'm not an Audi guy. I hate the normal TT and the R8 just doesn't do anything for me, but this, do fucking want.

Dude, that R8 style kit looks niiiiiiice, and a twin-turbo inline 5-cylinder with 350HP and a twin-clutch gearbox?! Sounds awesome!!!! :cool:

The Audi TT has needed a large update for awhile now. This is exactly what they should be doing.

Cool. I'd like it a bit more with a venturi undertray, a la RS4. Still, neat looking car.

Five cylinder Audi RS...

Excuse me while I change my pants!

INLINE 5 FTW!

Meh, I prefer the look of the regular TT. In the front the vents are too big and the behind is just bland looking.

hmmm twin turbo I5... that must be some interesting plumbing

Is the engine mounted longitudinally or transversally ?

Plumbing won't be a problem if they are sequential.

Plumbing won't be a problem if they are sequential.

you have obviously never seen the plumbing for the sequential turbos in an RX-7 (or a supra for that matter)