Audi S1 - 4WD and 270hp

McRae

Taken from Auto Motor & Sport Sweden:

Allting tydde p? att Audi skulle premi?rvisa sin nya prestandamodell S1 p? h?stens stora bilsalong i Paris. Men i f?rra veckan fick vi reda p? att Audi ska lansera prestandamodellen som en "vanlig" A1 1,4 TFSI med 185 hk (se artikel h?r). Uppgifter fr?n reservdelskatalogen visar att Audi tagit fram S1-emblem f?r A1:an, se artikel p? denna l?nk, s? n?gon m?ste ha ?ndrat sig i sista stund.

Nya uppgifter som vi nyligen f?tt fr?n Ingolstadt ber?ttar att S1-namnets senkomna f?rsvinnande berodde p? det som flera av v?ra l?sare skrev i kommentarerna: namnet S1 (eller S3, S4, S5, S6, S8) f?rknippas v?ldigt starkt med fyrhjulsdrift. Risken var uppenbar att en framhjulsdriven S1 skulle urvattna betydelsen och d?rf?r backade man i sista stund till "A1 TFSI 185 hk".

Men det finns ingen anledning att vara ledsen. Audi har n?mligen hela tiden planerat att bygga en riktig b?lgeting p? A1-grund med Haldex fyrhjulsdrift och turbomatad bensinfyra p? 270 h?star! Ursprungligen var det t?nkt att denna lilla "v?rsting" skulle f? namnet RS1 (f?r att passa in till RS2, kommande RS3, RS4, RS5 och RS6 samt kommande RS7). Men nu blir det allts? ist?llet s? att den fyrhjulsdrivna GTI-utmanaren f?r heta S1.

Den kommande Audi S1 b?r dr?ja minst ett ?r men vi skulle kunna t?nka oss att n?sta ?rs h?stsalong p? hemmaplan, i Frankfurt, kan vara en l?mplig premi?rplats.

...so...what do these funny words and sentences mean?

What they are saying is, that - as many of us know - Audi decided not to use the 'S1' term for their A1 1.4 TFSI 185hp, primarily because it won't be 4WD.

However, an even stronger version should be in the making, featuring, most importantly, 270 hp and the "S-worthy" Haldex 4WD system. And this particular version is most likely going to be called S1.

Source: http://automotorsport.se/news/21496/audi-s1-kommer-med-4wd-och-270-hk/

270hp from the 1.4 or a 2.0? A 270hp 1.4 unit sounds a bit mental and would the 2.0 even fit in the engine bay?

270hp from the 1.4 or a 2.0?

270hp are not going to happen from the 1.4, it already is twincharged with the turbo- and supercharger, and they already upped the electronics a bit from the usual 180hp to 185hp compared to the same engine in the Polo GTI, Golf GT, Fabia RS, and Ibiza Cupra.

I think it's going to be the 2-liter already used in the Golf R and Audi S3.

As far as I've heard (well, read in german magazines) they are thinking about an RS1, which would have this kinda power, but nothing has been decided yet...

I think it's going to be the 2-liter already used in the Golf R and Audi S3.
I don?t see them fitting that into a car based on the Polo Platform ... I?d love to ... but I just don?t.

Going from 1.4l to 2.0 liters is not as big a difference as you think.
Remember displacement is stroke and circumference.
The real challenge is the gearbox, especially a 4wd one.

Ive been in Starlets, 1.3l turbo, with 300 horsepower and they are way too peaky to be a good street car.
I think for sure they will be using a different motor.

[...]The real challenge is the gearbox, especially a 4wd one.
No, it?s the cooling. You could probably stick a 3l V6 under a Polo bonnet ... but you?d have nowhere for that size of a cooler, at least not if you?re a mainstream manufacturer who has to put in quite big tolerances and can?t afford his engines going into the "red", even when pushed to the limit. The Polo/A1 could certainly take the 270hp 2l turbo from the S3 ... but not with the cooler it needs ... or that needs to go on the roof of the car or something ... or you end up throwing stuff like the A/C out ... wich a car like this would never sell without.

Last edited:
270hp are not going to happen from the 1.4, it already is twincharged with the turbo- and supercharger, and they already upped the electronics a bit from the usual 180hp to 185hp compared to the same engine in the Polo GTI, Golf GT, Fabia RS, and Ibiza Cupra.

It'll explode, thats gonna happen.

Didn't the last polo gti come with a 1.8 turbo? The 2L can't be that much larger, so it should fit.

Didn't the last polo gti come with a 1.8 turbo? The 2L can't be that much larger, so it should fit.

Yeah, the '05-'09 GTIs came with the old 1.8T in 150hp guise (180 for the cup). Trouble is, if you produce 50% more power you'll inevitably need more cooling, even (especially) if the engines are the same size.

OKAY .... I WANT TO DRIVE THAT BEAST

that'll be mental