• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Audi TT vs. Subaru WRX

static

Cars cost like hell in here but because the law that controlled imported car taxing was altered, today it's pretty cheap to get a car from abroad.
I want a fast and fun car and it has to be 4 wheel drive as winters in here are hell and 4WD keeps you on the road better. The winters here are also damn long so it must be a car you can use whole year. So the convertibles are out.
And I want back seats.

I've tested many cars and the competitors have been narrowed down to two.

-99 to - 02 Audi TT 165 kW Quattro http://tinyurl.com/ba5ce
I really like the interior and the fact that it's an Audi makes it even better in my eyes. It's practical and good looking.

2004 - 2005 Subaru WRX 165 kW http://tinyurl.com/b8zno
With taxes, the one in the link costs only ~33 000e so it's kinda a bargain for a car that new and powerful. 4WD and the best practicality of the four makes it a strong competitor. But the roadnoise is pretty bad as is the interior. .. And the exterior too, I don't really like the design that much.
I've driven this car and it's hella nice, I'm a bit affraid that I'll get bored with it pretty fast.

Both cars have the same power and cost nearly the same (32 000e with import taxes) but quite a different character. I prefer the Audi bit more but I haven't ever driven one. I've heard it gets pretty unstable in high speeds but that's trivial. The max speed I'm gonna use will be somewhere near 160 km/h but the acceleration and overtaking speeds must be decent. The Subaru is fast, but is the Audi fast and good enough?
Is it fast and fun enough?

I know pretty much about the Subaru and it's been a topic here many times. I'd like to hear some opinions about the Audi as well. Again, those who have driven it, please report in! :)

it looks like you want a car with a backseat... by backseat, do you mean one that is usable and easy to get in and out of... because you have to remember that ultimately, the Audi is a Coupe and the Subaru is a 4-door car... it also depends on what car you want, I don't know you very well but if you're the sort of person who wants to have fun in the car and really throw the cars into corners as fast as they can in twisting roads, go for the subaru, if you want a car to look good in, cruise round the city at night and pick girls in, the Audi would be a better choice...

Yeah Andy has a good point. I would go for the Audi, for the looks this time. Without spoiler the Subaru's rear looks like shit. Get some nice rims on the Audi and it looks even better.

But I think (not sure) the Subaru is better for carrying things around, how much space is there in the boots?

yup... if you want to carry things around or your job requires alot of driving, my advice would be go for the Impreza because it has loads more room, easier to get in and out with 4 people... you have to realize the compromises you have to make if you get a 2-door coupe, usually more trouble getting in and out, less space everywhere.... but as JC said, on the right day and at the right time and right place, it will put a smile on your face :D

Man you guys are fast, thanks for the replies :)

I have to admit the TT has much smaller backseats than the Subaru but I think I can cope with it. The WRX has also very good ground clearence so you don't have to be so scared when driving a bumby cottageroad.

Ed: Andy, I want a car that has a stiff chassis so I can go fast in corners every now and then. But still, it would be the only car I use so there has to be comfort and compromises. Subaru is bit too much rally car for a shopping trip or driving long distances.

What I'm wondering: Is the Audi quieter than the Subaru and how much slower it really is?

I'm in for the Audi as well... High speed stabilty was only an issue the first year it was produced. High speed long bends were a problem when the pussies got scared and lifted off the throttle or even braked hard... Its obvious what the effect of that might be...

I don't like the Subarus that much in General, so I would go all for the Audi... I have only driven a convertible, but it was good fun. Not as edgy as a Mini S, but I would actually consider that as a plus...

Buba

ESPN drives one, one with a huge spoiler, maybe you should ask him, pm him or something and let him come to this thread.

If the Imprezza had a spoiler, I would go for that one, the Audi still looks like a girlycar to me. :unsure:

But an Imprezza can be over-the-top too, especially with a spoiler.

i would go for the wrx. i mean it doesnt looks very good in the pic right now with out a spoiler, but then how much more would it cost if u went to buy a aftermarket one, of your choice?

I would go for the subaru although the audi may look better.
I once sat in the Audi and had to put the front seat to the back seat so no place in the back seat if the driver is tall.
I think the WRX if more fun to drive than the Audi.

My dad got a TT for the same reason you are thinking of - 4wd for the winter, but I have to tell you it's not a great winter car. It always feels like it's hovering on snow, moving back and forth across the road for no reason. On the highway it's even worse. He did have fairly sporty all season tires on, but even so, his Maza 323 was much better in the snow.

The TT is really slow in a straight line, but it goes around corners nice and flat. It depends what type of driving you like.

BTW: He is actually thinking about getting a WRX for the winter (fingers crossed).

TT makes you look like a girl, or some poser metro-sexual guy. I'd go for the WRX.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
My dad got a TT for the same reason you are thinking of - 4wd for the winter, but I have to tell you it's not a great winter car. It always feels like it's hovering on snow, moving back and forth across the road for no reason. On the highway it's even worse. He did have fairly sporty all season tires on, but even so, his Maza 323 was much better in the snow.

The TT is really slow in a straight line, but it goes around corners nice and flat. It depends what type of driving you like.

Didn't your dad have the convertible one? And which engine does he have? I believe the TT is not a great winter car, but if you can even survive with it it'll be enough :)
TT goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds so it should really be that slow in straight line either.
How is the car as a GT car, could you imagine yourself driving 800 km/day with the TT without getting sore and ill and hearing disorder caused by roadnoise?

static said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:

Didn't your dad have the convertible one? And which engine does he have? I believe the TT is not a great winter car, but if you can even survive with it it'll be enough :)
TT goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds so it should really be that slow in straight line either.
How is the car as a GT car, could you imagine yourself driving 800 km/day with the TT without getting sore and ill and hearing disorder caused by roadnoise?

You have good memory. :thumbsup:

He has the 1.8 litre with the turbo. I'm used to 0-60 in three seconds though, so you might want to take my observations with a grain of salt.

It isn't terrible in the winter, but you should definately try to get snow tires if you can.

As for the GT car aspect - The TT is the nicest car to be in that I have experienced. The ride is a little hard over rough surfaces, but other than that it's very good. It's even quiet with the roof off.

Would 12 hour trips count as long distance driving in an Impreza ? If so, then covers the road well. I cheated though, I have JDM spec STi front seat in my wagon for the added bolstering. Not that hard to find on the net.

TT's rear seats are less comfortable then my old Beetle Turbo ... which is the bobble-head version of the TT. And yeah, people all called-it "girly" until they couldn't shake it of their tails ... :D It was also kinda radar-proff ... the Merc's, Mustangs and such would get pulled over ... while I'd just coast through radar traps.

With Nokian winter tyres, spiked, on black steel rims: Beetle Tank! Go anywhere ... no "floating".

So both do well in snow, IMNSHO, but with the availability of front and rear skid plates, I would vote for the WRX in yomping country anywhere near Napapiiri.

Audi cars are told to have a not do good handling (well, all VW-Audi cars), but I now that after driving a VW Bora (Golf with a boot) and a Focus, I wouldn't choose the most praised hatchback. I've driven various TTs, and I really like them, specially if it's the 225hp version, with quattro... Be aware that, although very efficient, it's an Haldex system, with power being sent to the rear-wheels only when needed... But if you don't need the rear seats space that much, it's the car I would choose. And you can put the rear seats down, and get a BIG trunk.
But the final decision is yours, and so, drive both the cars, and decide for yourself. You can even ask someone you know (or meet) that owns one of the cars. You can see when people like to talk about their cars... ;)

THe WRX would be the wise choice, but it's so damn ugly, and the TT is the complete opposite, so even if it's unreliable, older, and a stupid fashion accessory, I'd buy it. :eek:

petergun and Ultra_Kool_Dude, like my current car the next car will also have the Nokian spiked-winter tires in order to handle little bit better on snow and ice.
The backseats will be used only occasionaly but it's little something I want to have in my car. I know they're small but my girlfriend shall by the sensible family car, not me..
The handling is of course something I have to test myself. Too bad the local dealer won't give any demos (not that I'd buy a new one anyway, way too expensive) so I just have to keep my eyes open. I'm in no rush anyway.

Thanks to all of you guys, you've been very helpful :)

Have you looked at a 4Motion Bora/Jetta?

Pretty much the same basic hardware as the TT but with 4 doors and boot, and i'd say it might be cheaper than the TT. plus you won't get the whole "girly" thing that TTs have.

bren_35 said:
Have you looked at a 4Motion Bora/Jetta?

Pretty much the same basic hardware as the TT but with 4 doors and boot, and i'd say it might be cheaper than the TT. plus you won't get the whole "girly" thing that TTs have.

Hmmmm, you reminded me of the Golf R32... :drool:

Why not get an Audi A4 with quattro and the 1.8T engine, it would be loads of fun and have a backseat.

I drive a 1998 A4 saloon/sedan with the 1.8 engine and 2WD, and sadly without the sport-suspension. I still love it, a newer model with the turbo engine would be better and there's tons of them on the market. Available for as low as 17.000-18.000 Euro.

While the TT is nice, it's hardly what you'd call spacious, and as TopGear have pointed out a bit of a fashion accessory