August 11th, 2012: Seattle Area Meetup (Seattle + Portland + Vancouver)

Yeah, use 90, or better avoid Seattle like the hilly plague that it is (I still have battle scars) and take 405.

Yeah, use 90, or better avoid Seattle like the hilly plague that it is (I still have battle scars) and take 405.

Hey man, you happen to be talking about the city I live in. LOL.
Actually if your staying in Bellevue as I seem to remember seeing someone mention, you shouldn't have to take 90 or 520 at all. Like you say, 405 is your best choice. And to whomever it was needing a gas can to be transported, I can do so on my roof. I'll be showing up early. 9am or earlier... see ya'll there!

I actually just registered to RSVP to this event!

I have not read the entire 150 replies.. Is there a reason for us to go to Burlington? The drive would actually be a little better if we didn't take I-5 straight back, but took the Mountain Loop highway, like so:
http://goo.gl/maps/xEKb2

Last edited:
Handed in my passport application today... Quite excited now. Ordered a FinalGear shirt and sticker set to be 100% ready. :p

Last edited:
Hey man, you happen to be talking about the city I live in. LOL.
Actually if your staying in Bellevue as I seem to remember seeing someone mention, you shouldn't have to take 90 or 520 at all. Like you say, 405 is your best choice. And to whomever it was needing a gas can to be transported, I can do so on my roof. I'll be showing up early. 9am or earlier... see ya'll there!

Yeah, I'm all set, I just was informing other people that getting to Redmond from out of town doesn't require going through Seattle and over the lake. :)

I have not read the entire 150 replies.. Is there a reason for us to go to Burlington? The drive would actually be a little better if we didn't take I-5 straight back, but took the Mountain Loop highway, like so:

Sounds awesome to me. No reason to go out to I-5, I was just unfamiliar with the loop (never done it).

Handed in my passport application today... Quite excited now. Ordered a FinalGear shirt and sticker set to be 100% ready. :p

Woot! :)

Last edited:
I registered up on the forum just to say I am very interested in this. I have done the drive out to Neah bay out to the very tip of the peninsula and the whole drive (except the sad little town of Neah Bay) was very very very good, so I am up for this.

I live in redmond as well so its perfect, we should create a google docs list or something of people going and car/phone numbers so when we are heading out we can communicate and have a list of planned stops and other things, etc. Unless you guys have already done this.

I registered up on the forum just to say I am very interested in this. I have done the drive out to Neah bay out to the very tip of the peninsula and the whole drive (except the sad little town of Neah Bay) was very very very good, so I am up for this.

I live in redmond as well so its perfect, we should create a google docs list or something of people going and car/phone numbers so when we are heading out we can communicate and have a list of planned stops and other things, etc. Unless you guys have already done this.

Too hard to deal with cell phones on the road. If you have a walkie talkie, bring that. :)

Actually, might need to scratch that. Apparently, it's still gravel for about 11 miles.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2013025693_nwwmtloop30.html

Google Street View is awesome for this kind of thing. Grab the little orange guy and then wait for all the blue roads to show up. If it's blue, it's likely safe to drive and you can confirm via actually looking. There's spots on your route that have no street view so yeah, probably not good.

We could still go to Darrington but then out to Arlington or something though.

What do you mean by RSVP besides just saying so in the thread?

I haven't actually looked at viper's map... but the route you linked to adds 1.5 hours over taking SR-530. With that being at the end of our day, I think most people would rather go straight back to I-5 and get home. We can see how people are feeling when we're at the pass on SR-20.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure he just meant that he registered with the forum in order to reply here and say he's going

- - - Updated - - -

we should create a google docs list or something of people going and car/phone numbers so when we are heading out we can communicate and have a list of planned stops and other things, etc. Unless you guys have already done this.

bring an FRS/GMRS radio (otherwise known as a 'talk about' radio).. we'll use those if necessary. Cell phone coverage is really weak for much of the drive. Besides, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want their phone numbers being made known to everyone else.

There's really not a reason to do a ton of planning here. Show up on Saturday morning at the parking lot mentioned above and be at your car before 9am so we can leave shortly after. I know these roads very well (this will be my third time around the Cascade Loop since May) and I'm very familiar with all of the various detours. We will be making plenty of stops along the way just because some of the vehicles don't have a very long range, so we will have more than enough time to plan out where we're going when the day comes.

It was requested on the front page that people post in this thread (i.e. RSVP) if they're coming so we can have a better idea of the number of people coming.

- - - Updated - - -

There's really not a reason to do a ton of planning here. Show up on Saturday morning at the parking lot mentioned above and be at your car before 9am so we can leave shortly after. I know these roads very well (this will be my third time around the Cascade Loop since May) and I'm very familiar with all of the various detours. We will be making plenty of stops along the way just because some of the vehicles don't have a very long range, so we will have more than enough time to plan out where we're going when the day comes.

I was thinking more along the lines of 10AM rather than 9AM so we could look at the exotics. I don't think the thing starts until 9AM anyway.

Also yeah, a general plan is good but I'd rather not be rigid.

Actually, might need to scratch that. Apparently, it's still gravel for about 11 miles.
Ain't nothing wrong with gravel :p a place for my jeep to shine! finally! i knew i brought the right vehichle. nothing wrong with a little rally-cross action. tho Viper may not fair so well in his Dodge Viper, now if he had a Subaru WRX-STI, he'd feel right at home i'm sure :p

bring an FRS/GMRS radio (otherwise known as a 'talk about' radio).. we'll use those if necessary. Cell phone coverage is really weak for much of the drive. Besides, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want their phone numbers being made known to everyone else.

For those who don't have these, you can pick a decent set up from Fry's/radioshack/home depot/Lowes for like 40-50$. they come in a pack of 2. and they're generally rechargeable. quite handy for vacations if you are trying to justify buying them. don't go to radioshack tho, you'll be paying quite alot of money.

Sorry, done. :(
I didn't realize it was moderated. I even replied to it, heh.
no worries, i know the vB system, i used to admin on one for quite some time. i had the same setup. if memory serves it actually moderates the admins post too cause it came from a post that was moderated. quite cheesey. that was back on vB3 tho.

I need to stop being lazy about watching that queue.
DELEGATE!

Ain't nothing wrong with gravel :p a place for my jeep to shine! finally! i knew i brought the right vehichle. nothing wrong with a little rally-cross action. tho Viper may not fair so well in his Dodge Viper, now if he had a Subaru WRX-STI, he'd feel right at home i'm sure :p

I try to not take my car off of pavement.. and I'm sure there are other people here who agree :D

Yeah screw gravel.

Last edited:
worries, i know the vB system, i used to admin on one for quite some time. i had the same setup. if memory serves it actually moderates the admins post too cause it came from a post that was moderated. quite cheesey. that was back on vB3 tho.

Yep, my reply was stuck in moderation. :lol: :(

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of walkie talkie would you recommend, more so on the inexpensive side of course.

I'm bringing a pair of Motorolas. People might have spares to loan out.

Sounds fine all to me ill pick up a 2 pack from town or drive down to frys (any excuse to go to frys is a good excuse).

That weekend just freed up for me. Been a big fan of finalgear for some time now, looking forward to meeting everyone.