August 11th, 2012: Seattle Area Meetup (Seattle + Portland + Vancouver)

I think it's gonna be a face-off between myself and Viper's viper as to whom can get the WORST mpg.
FTFY.

Planning is good, but overplanning can be bad. I think we just need to set a departure window, and people can show up as early as they want to see the show cars. How long does it usually take to drive the loop?

Ain't nothing wrong with gravel :p a place for my jeep to shine! finally! i knew i brought the right vehichle. nothing wrong with a little rally-cross action. tho Viper may not fair so well in his Dodge Viper, now if he had a Subaru WRX-STI, he'd feel right at home i'm sure :p

I'm right there with you buddy! I've got clearance. ;) The S12 was built for that sort of fun!
Nissan-200SX-Rally-Car.jpg

How long does it usually take to drive the loop?

Google Maps says 7-8 hours for Redmond to Redmond but I imagine we'll be driving... briskly. :)

Oh boy, just got to look at next weekends forecast on the 10 day, looks like it's going to be a topless weekend for the convertibles.

Oh boy, just got to look at next weekends forecast on the 10 day, looks like it's going to be a topless weekend for the convertibles.

:woot:

I won't be able to join you guys because that's the weekend the BMW Car Club of BC is doing our annual Duffey Lake road trip (basically, the northern version of the Cascades Loop). I have, however, driven Washington State Highway 20 over nearly its entire length over Thursday and Friday (crossed into the US at Metaline Falls, joined up WA-20 at Ione then drove it all the way to I-5 over a day and a half).

So, I'll just leave these here, as inspiration to you guys ;)

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

You guys will enjoy the scenery for sure... even the Border Services agent wanted to join me when she heard what I was doing :cool:

Last edited:
it'll be even more hot in eastern Washington.. my AC will definitely be on

Tell me about it! I'm in Yakima right now and it's 97 degrees out. One more and windows down won't even help. I don't have A/C either. o_O*

well.. it was over 90F in some places around here today, and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow :(

thankfully humidity was fairly low.. around 30% today. But then, as soon as the sun goes down the humidity jumps up. I was just out there working on one of my cars and was sweating more after the sun set than I was earlier today out in the direct sun

Humidity was at 50% in Seattle today. Crazy stuff. Hopefully it's just sunny and not OMFG SUNNY DEATH DEATH DEATH next weekend....

I rode out to Bellevue today and was a sweating mess when I arrived. :(

I have more torque than most other cars on the road.. I think I'll be ok :p

not if i ACTIVATE my low range you wont :p however then i'm governed to a speed of about 40mph... practiaclly redlining my engine. but i'm not that silly.
although i wonder if my company would let me take my semi truck. then i'd have more torque than anybody combined, and i'd come close to horsepower of the viper. root, i'm suspicious that under your hood, isn't exactly stock, so i'm not sure how much you got :p

VIPER! i have a dashcam i'd like to attach to your windshield for the hairpins and s curves on chumstick hwy ? can i? lord knows a viper on a hairpin is much more entertaining than a jeep.

VIPER! i have a dashcam i'd like to attach to your windshield for the hairpins and s curves on chumstick hwy ? can i? lord knows a viper on a hairpin is much more entertaining than a jeep.

I'd be really concerned if he takes those corners anywhere close to the speed that I can take them.. I'm guessing he'll be a little careful in the twisties.

and yeah.. my car is a bit of a torque beast. IIRC, Ice's "horsepower per liter" chart he made had my car with nearly the highest torque/liter ratios.. I think the viper beat me by a little bit.

I'll have two GoPros running. :)

I'd be really concerned if he takes those corners anywhere close to the speed that I can take them.. I'm guessing he'll be a little careful in the twisties.

We'll see. You're certainly a lot more comfortable with your car than I am but then again if there's no oncoming traffic at the time, I do push it a fair amount. I mean I have so much grip that I'm not terribly worried.