Australia - Top Gear Advertisment

Please die Channel 9. I haven't watched any Australian TV ever; it's a bit pointless to me now that I get everything months ahead of time so I end up just watching Masterchef.

Whilst the move from SBS to 9 is controversial, I think they have done a bloody good job with the television adverts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbkEAF65Mw

Particularly approve of the inclusion of footage from Romania (highlights that they are up to date) and the inclusion of the channel 9 logo within the footage.

Nothing flash with that ad.It's just footage from episodes.

They are using old footage of the Stig, its black Stig in the ad.

It's not black Stig,it's white Stig dressed in a chaueffer uniform when he drove James around the track in the recent series.

With the way they read the host's names out, you'd think they were making the promo for 60 Minutes! It's so NOT the style of Top Gear. The British/BBC TG promos show things like three guys sitting in a really low-rent trailer office flicking things at each other and being big kids, not trying to be all self-important.

Top Gear isn't about being LOUD and BIG, except when the guys F%$# things up with their 'How Hard Could it Be?' ignorance or blow things up.

It's clear evidence that Channel 9, or it's promo department at the very least, don't have a clue what makes TG work for the audience.

And what's with using a 5-year old shot of James May driving. Are they scared of older guys with long hair or something? Maybe they're worried his look is too "soft" for their usual sports-loving audience?

With the way they read the host's names out, you'd think they were making the promo for 60 Minutes! It's so NOT the style of Top Gear. The British/BBC TG promos show things like three guys sitting in a really low-rent trailer office flicking things at each other and being big kids, not trying to be all self-important.

Top Gear isn't about being LOUD and BIG, except when the guys F%$# things up with their 'How Hard Could it Be?' ignorance or blow things up.

It's clear evidence that Channel 9, or it's promo department at the very least, don't have a clue what makes TG work for the audience.

And what's with using a 5-year old shot of James May driving. Are they scared of older guys with long hair or something? Maybe they're worried his look is too "soft" for their usual sports-loving audience?

Thank you for deconstructing the ad. Rather than just critising it. Your deconstruction is so pursuasive that I retract my original liking for the advert.

You've brought back some bad memories of the HSC though :cry: