Australian International Motor Show 2008 (Sydney)

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
So, whos going?

I am. Its in my holidays :) HOWEVER - its going to be the shittest Sydney motor show in recent history. Allow me to explain:

Porsche
BMW
Fiat
Alfa
Aston
Mercedes
Audi
Jaguar

^Those are just some of the brands that WON'T be there.

I heard that the Sydney and Melbourne shows merged and one city will host the show annually hence reducing costs for the manufactures. Is that true? Hope it is - then there'll be better shows for both cities.

I haven't been in the last two years because it's shit. Why would i pay to see cars that i see everyday and then add in a handful of concept cars. However since you are going, try to go on a weekday as it usually is empty.

Last edited:
I haven't been in the last two years because it's shit. Why would i pay to see cars that i see everyday and then add in a handful of concept cars.
I do like actually getting IN the cars and seeing how they are from that perspective.

And there are other reasons for me going such as the model car exhibits, of which I'm quite enthusiastic about.

But I'm a sucker for anything car-related :mrgreen:

So, whos going?

I am. Its in my holidays :) HOWEVER - its going to be the shittest Sydney motor show in recent history. Allow me to explain:

Porsche
BMW
Fiat
Alfa
Aston
Mercedes
Audi
Jaguar

I heard that the Sydney and Melbourne shows merged and one city will host the show annually hence reducing costs for the manufactures. Is that true? Hope it is - then there'll be better shows for both cities.

That's odd, at the Melbourne Motor Show this year Porsche, Aston, Mercedes and Jaguar made no appearance either. Their excuse was that they'll only go to one show per year because of costs and I assumed they'll appear at the Sydney show. Maybe they're not going to any shows all together?

If one city does host it annually, I think it'll be a great shame. I've enjoyed going to the motor show annually for many years now, and I'd hate to miss it. :(

edit: Melbourne Exhibitors and Sydney Exhibitors

Aw damn, you Sydney-siders might get Koenigsegg and Lotus but having the Bugatti Veyron at this year's Melbourne show FTW! :tease:

Last edited:
That's odd, at the Melbourne Motor Show this year Porsche, Aston, Mercedes and Jaguar made no appearance either. Their excuse was that they'll only go to one show per year because of costs and I assumed they'll appear at the Sydney show. Maybe they're not going to any shows all together?

If one city does host it annually, I think it'll be a great shame. I've enjoyed going to the motor show annually for many years now, and I'd hate to miss it. :(
Something else that might need confirmation - I heard the manufacturers were having a bit of a 'stand-off' with the exhibitors due to these aforementioned costs. So they must not be going to either so they make a point.

I know it'll suck not being able to go the show annually. But at least when the show IS in town - it'll be of good standards like the old days.

Since your going, try to get a picture of yourself inside either the koenigsegg, a ferrari or a lamborghini. If you get it i will +rep you.

Last edited:
lol

Ok, I'll try. Otherwise, would a pic of my arse suffice :p

Ha! Fat chance! The Koenigsegg, Lambo, Ferrari and indeed all other super cars' areas are fenced off. You can only view these cars from behind a glass fence. Only rich people who are actually interested in buying the cars or people which the manufacturers invite and photographers are allowed into the inner sanctum. That said, it could be different in Sydney.

Yes, the pic of the arse will do just fine! :eek:

Ha! Fat chance! The Koenigsegg, Lambo, Ferrari and indeed all other super cars' areas are fenced off. You can only view these cars from behind a glass fence. Only rich people who are actually interested in buying the cars or people which the manufacturers invite and photographers are allowed into the inner sanctum. That said, it could be different in Sydney.
Wish I had a media pass :( Free food and drinks all day long!

Yes, the pic of the arse will do just fine! :eek:

Yeah it's true that they fence it off however back in 2000 they let me in to take a picture next to a Ferrari F40. :blink: So i think he might have a chance but only if he goes on a weekday as there usually is no one there.

Yeah it's true that they fence it off however back in 2000 they let me in to take a picture next to a Ferrari F40. :blink: So i think he might have a chance but only if he goes on a weekday as there usually is no one there.
It'll be during my holidays so I'll go when its as quiet as possible. Early week during the day probably.

As much as i like cars, Sydney's car shows are weak, but then again we don't have a huge market compared to other countries so its understandable. Only been to a handful and am sick of the people who go there trying to be "fully sick". I went to the one where they were SUPPOSE to have the Lexus concept from Minority Report but instead it was a mold with scaffolding underneath.

The light were painted on ffs!! Since then i've lost interest, i'd rather just visit a car dealer

Porsche
BMW
Fiat
Alfa
Aston
Mercedes
Audi
Jaguar

Add to your list Citroen, Saab, Rolls Royce, Proton, Bentley and Land Rover and I don't see any point in going at all. The Sydney Motor Show is absolute rubbish. I went last year, mainly to see the new M3 as I was waiting delivery .... for me, that was the highlight. The other good stand was the Mercedes one, which let you sit in just about everything. But most of the exotic and interesting cars were cordoned off ... I had a much better look at a Gallardo this morning that was parked in my street that I got at the motor show last year ... and what's with Lexus ... "by appointment only" ... they really think they are something they are not.

Last good motor show I've been to was at Earl's Court 11 years ago ... sat in everything ... Ferraris, Lambos, mate and I spent about 20 minutes in an NSX fiddling with the electric seats without any harassment. Sydney is scummy, small, tight fisted, cheap and boring by comparison.

[THOUGHT] Maybe some of the brands not exhibiting are waiting for the Top Gear Live (MPH) show next year????[/THOUGHT]

I stopped going years ago. It's too expensive for the visitors as well as the exibitors.

Just drop into Rick Damelian's instead. It's not that far from the exhibition centre. They've got Ferraris, Porsches, Mercs Lotus even a Maybach. It's free, you can actually SIT in the cars (get a test drive if you can convince them your going to buy one) and there's no crowds!

[THOUGHT] Maybe some of the brands not exhibiting are waiting for the Top Gear Live (MPH) show next year????[/THOUGHT]

I doubt that would happen. In previous years around 250,000 people have attended motor shows in Sydney. Top gear live should get around 40,000 over the four shows. It would be better for them to have a stand at the motor show.

Porsche
BMW
Fiat
Alfa
Aston
Mercedes
Audi
Jaguar

Whoa - no Alfa?? Their stand attendants are always a highlight at Melbourne... ahem...

As for the shows merging - it's been suggested several times, and frankly it makes sense. Alternate the show each year between Melbourne & Sydney & everyone wins - it's the best possible deal really. Sadly I haven't heard any news of the merge being a done-deal - and unfortunately I think politics & ego will prevent such a thing happening.