Australian V8 Supercars

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
The incident with Murphy and Skaife was interesting. Skaife looked pretty crossed up mid corner by himself. I think it probably in antisipation of avoiding Murph but I'm still not sure if it was a seperate incident all together.

Yeah, Skaife was seeing Murph start to lose it (another great piece of judgement from Murph) and was doing what he could to avoid what he knew was coming.

Whoever's in charge of the safety car needs a good belt around the head - so many times they fail to pick up the leader, it's unforgiveable in a professional sport.

fbc said:
The incident with Murphy and Skaife was interesting. Skaife looked pretty crossed up mid corner by himself. I think it probably in antisipation of avoiding Murph but I'm still not sure if it was a seperate incident all together.
Whoever's in charge of the safety car needs a good belt around the head - so many times they fail to pick up the leader, it's unforgiveable in a professional sport.
I also think that mistakes like R.Kelly's aleged 'jump start' should not be happening at all. Before a penalty is awarded, I think all those officials in their booth should just quickly view the footage to confirm what the guy on the wall saw. Either way, Rick pulled through well.

fbc said:
I also think that mistakes like R.Kelly's aleged 'jump start' should not be happening at all. Before a penalty is awarded, I think all those officials in their booth should just quickly view the footage to confirm what the guy on the wall saw. Either way, Rick pulled through well.

My only guess with the Kelly jump start is that he moved well before the green light (and so it wasn't shown in the footage they aired). Certainly in the aired footage there's no jump start. So they've either got it right but the footage missed it, or they've got it incredibly wrong (which wouldn't be a first sadly). Even though I'm not a Rick fan, he did have a very good recovery.

-=SLR=- said:
I missed the first race, care to tell me what the big damage was? :p
Greg Murphy in the first corner came together with Jamie Wincup (though the camera doesn't catch it) and he gets the wall big time. I feel sorry for Supercheapauto racing...

Happy Skaifey brought it home though :D Team Red deserve it after that horrid Adelaide round. That 0-point round will weigh them down the rest of the year so Skaifey has gotta just keep on winning until his challanging for the lead of this series.

The reverse grid format was an interesting change. As expected, there was a bit of carnage in that race, but not alot more than there would be normally anyway. And in race 3, the boys behaived themselves and it was mainly clean racing. I like the reverse grid format although its rather untraditional. Good entertainment and the really good drivers will be able to come through from the back of the pack consistantly.

That was great racing. And what's with John Bowe always having the big crashes. This time it wasn't his fault since the Accelerator got stuck but still.

Absolutely best overtake in race 3 in the last couple of corners by Craig Lowndes :).

Couldn't find a corresponding news story but i heard talks have commenced concerning limiting costs and team expenditure further in the future (i'm assuming in an attempt to level the playing field a bit more by reeling in those teams with big budgets). Just curious as to people's opinions on action like this and whether it would or would not be a good idea!

^ Limiting costs is always a good idea - provided the spectacle or competition isn't negatively affected. V8 Supercars is getting far far too expensive, costs need to be reigned in before we get to a situation where only a couple of teams can win and / or we see teams pulling out and field sizes fall due to high costs.

So yeah, I'm all for cost containment. It's very tricky though - the teams with the funding will always find new ways to spend it, so you need to devise rules & regulations that leads to those extra funds being spent in areas that lead to negligble gains (i.e. standardise components that currently have big development dollars spent on them and have a big affect on car performance).

I saw that segment on RPM where they interview the team managers regarding the increasing costs. I guess its obviously costing alot more than I thought initially. Like fbc said, I just hope they don't compromise the cars performance like they kind of did with the F1's.

Like a year ago, they propose some new aero package or something for the V8's and it included getting rid of the rear spoilers :? That would have sucked :thumbsdown:

This is a different topic but I also hope they never introduce any more different cars into the series like Mitsubishi or Toyota....

Well the TV rights have just been renewed, and Channel 10 has them no more ! Say hello to Channel 7 next year - and for the next 6 years after that, good news is Neil Crompton is moving over to 7.

Pity really as Channel 10 is the reason the V8's are where they are now, but I guess money talks.

skip said:
Well the TV rights have just been renewed, and Channel 10 has them no more ! Say hello to Channel 7 next year - and for the next 6 years after that, good news is Neil Crompton is moving over to 7.

Pity really as Channel 10 is the reason the V8's are where they are now, but I guess money talks.

When I heard this news on the weekened I was horrified - the last time Seven had the rights they ran the series into the ground (1 hour highlights packages on Sunday night :(). I too thought that money had spoken and Cochrane & co. had sold out to the highest bidder - but that's not the case, far from it it seems.

It sounds likes a great deal - apparently Seven's offer is actually going to increase the coverage - looks like we're going to get live coverage of Saturday races and qualifying. Sunday coverage is unlikely to change - where the rounds clash with AFL matches Seven wants to negotiate with the AFL for twilight games.

The other upside is Ten are now looking to increase their coverage of F1 - so this could well be a win-win. The actual coverage of V8s won't be affected - currently it's produced by a seperate company, that arrangement is going to continue. So in the end we're going to get increased coverage, with a somewhat changed commentator line-up.

All up it should be great for V8s and should continue the series' growth. Having said that I'm sad to see Ten go they've obviously done a lot for the sport, and deserve recognition for that. They had the chance to match Seven's bid, but chose not to as they couldn't see how it was commercially viable - Seven are insistent that this is not the case.

So in short, Seven's investing *a lot* of money into V8s (personally I think Seven have seen how big NASCAR - love it or hate it - has become in America and want to achieve something similar with V8s), and we'll get increased coverage, the sport should continue to grow (hell, if promoted well and with Seven's AFL audience watching some racing before their game the sport could boom), and as a bonus we'll get increased F1 coverage :D

I will be very sad to see Ten conclude at the end of the year but the good news is that Neil Crompton is moving to Seven and just so long as he's there, its all good. Its not as if Seven's coverage is going to differ much from Ten's coverage because they have to capture the same thing essentially.

For the first year ever, I have been slightly dissapointed with the coverage of the V8 meetings on Ten. Because of Ten's AFL coverage, all the 3-race meetings have had Saturday's action broadcasted at some perposterous timeslot during the middle of the night. Obviously it was getting pretty crowded on Ten.

Now with Seven getting the rights, we can expect to see all races being broadcasted (just assuming next years calender is the same). But it doesn't make up for the fact that Ten will still be the "Home of motorsport" and whilst Seven will have the V8's, Ten will have RPM.

RPM is an awesome show and its not going to seem as complete without much (?) V8 talk. Its much better having all motorsport in the one place.

So I dunno...mixed feelings but overall I just wish Ten made a bigger offer. Surely they value it more than Seven!

Its not as if Seven's coverage is going to differ much from Ten's coverage because they have to capture the same thing essentially.

The production company is unchanged, so the coverage itself shouldn't be any different.

So I dunno...mixed feelings but overall I just wish Ten made a bigger offer. Surely they value it more than Seven!

Seven's bid was around twice what Ten was prepared to pay. As far as Ten are concerned Seven are paying way over the market value, Seven naturally disagree - so I can only think Seven are hugely serious about growing the coverage and the sport.

At this point my only concern with Seven is the amount of cross-promotion they might try and cram into the coverage, but we'll see.

Twice as much is alot! Guess we're in no real position to be the judge of what the V8's coverage is worth. All I can say is that it'll be a damn inconvienience having to flick between channels to watch the various motorsports...

I've just been checking the RPM.com Pitboards where its going off. Could I ask your opinions on the current commentators on Ten?

^ isnt is rpm.tv?
The good thing about the channel 10 commentators is that they had racing experience plus most of the team have commentated for a while now. Theres not much too compared them too, you would have too think back a long way, when channel 7 use too have the rights.

BlitzR said:
^ isnt is rpm.tv?
The good thing about the channel 10 commentators is that they had racing experience plus most of the team have commentated for a while now. Theres not much too compared them too, you would have too think back a long way, when channel 7 use too have the rights.
.tv is what I meant yeah.

Most of the commentary team haven't had racing expirience as such. Apart from Neil, who really has?

Neil is great. He is the tech guy and he knows what he's talking about.

Leigh...well I hate him. He's clearly chucked in there by Ten to dramatise everything and he does a shit job of it.

Rusty's head just looks weird I think and he's a meh commentator when he does commentate.

Dazza's cool but he never gets into the commentary box. I value his comments more than Leighs because he's a former racer of bikes.

Matthew White was the quivelent of what Leigh is now. He used to do Sports Tonight and be the drama raising guy of the V8 commentary. He'll probably get back into it...but he's better than Leigh. Dunno who else will join the crew.

I'm a fan of Crompton - so all's good if he moves to Seven.

Rusty does an okay job, but he does his best work in pitlane.

Diffey can go back overseas as far as I'm concerned - he just goes far far too excited and over-dramatises everything.

Beattie does a great job.

Matthew White's a shoe-in to host the coverage - I can live with that. I don't watch any sport on Seven so I don't know what other talent they, but if they let Bruce-please-just-p#ss-off-into-a-cave-somewhere-McAvaney anywhere near the V8s they'll be hearing from my shotgun*

* Not that I actually own one

Oh yeah - she doesn't commentate - but Grace F#cking McLure - get rid of her. I think it's great that Ten have bought a female in to the RPM team, but please for the love of god get someone who actually knows something about motorsport, can read a teleprompter, and knows there's no such place as 'Bay-ran' in the middle east.

fbc said:
Oh yeah - she doesn't commentate - but Grace F#cking McLure - get rid of her. I think it's great that Ten have bought a female in to the RPM team, but please for the love of god get someone who actually knows something about motorsport, can read a teleprompter, and knows there's no such place as 'Bay-ran' in the middle east.
:thumbsup:

HOW BAD IS SHE?!! And your right - She can't read off the bloody teleprompter, she sounds like a robot decoding some script off a screen in the background.

Can't believe Billy Woods got her on an awesome show like that...

Mike Raymond, I still remember him calling the 91 and 92 Bathurst's, a brilliant voice and new his stuff too. He disappeared into the woodwork when 7 lost the rights, bring him out of retirement I say.