Australian V8 Supercars

Woohoo. Go Frosty!!

Edit - Hmm the V8 Supercar website said yesterday that there was only two races this weekend, but it look like there are in fact three. Hopefully Frosty can make it 3 from 3 then. :)

Last edited:
Frosty did the treble, great for the championship to have so many winners.

Sandown next. I was planning to go this year, but since they made it closer, looks like i'll be going next year. :(
What will we see there?

Dunno how this new format will work, the old format worked great last year.

It'll be odd watching Sandown as a sprint race - I'm not a fan of the swap with Philip Island, mainly because I think the PI layout lends itself to sprint races much more so than an enduro.

The FG Falcon will debut at Sandown this weekend. :)

^ In a purely exhibition-only role. But still, will be interesting to see how it looks - the VE looks terrific as a race-car.

Which brings me to an interesting question - what do you think of some of the suggestions that are floating around about moving the V8s to a pure silhouette formula based around a spec chassis? Could open up the series to other manufacturers, and should reduce costs. Bear in mind both the VE and FG racecars are shorter than the production models, and some body-panels aside they don't share anything with their road-going counterparts (fancy ordering a live-axle, 5.0l V8 from either dealership?).

I'm all for it - Ford and Holden have invested to build up the series, but as the current uncertainty about Ford's ongoing backing of several teams shows the series could be susceptible with only two manufacturers present. I wouldn't mind seeing other brands competing. Of course, having said that, the series isn't exactly broken, so there's some truth in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality, but on the whole I think it would only benefit from additional manufacturer involvement.

I think keeping it ford and holden is better, until there are some passionate Toyota supporters out there, cause its not just the racing that draws the crowds, its going to the event and being passionate about the team u support. just always going at it with the fellow holden or ford supports add so much more to the atmosphere.

If they do introduce Toyota as a manufacture they will have to make a base shell, and layouts for the teams, cause Toyota will have the deepest pockets of all the manufactures... This is another reason id like it to stay ford v holden, keep the shells base on the road model, maybe make a spending limit on the cars, cause it is getting out of hand.

Sandown should be ok, im going to car show and shine competition on the monday gives me free entry :).

^ In a purely exhibition-only role. But still, will be interesting to see how it looks - the VE looks terrific as a race-car.

Oh, I didn't realise that.

As for opening the sport up to other manufacturers, I think in a few years time it will be the only way to go. Ford and Holden are going to struggle to keep supporting the sport on their own. I don't think it will be a bad thing either, could do good for the sport.

Here is the FG Falcon...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/06/06/FG_Supercar1_000.jpg

I still think the VE is still the better looking race car. The FG looks like the BA/BF but with different head and tail lights.

On the Holden vs Ford thing, I like the series how it is right now. I prob wouldn't concider Toyota purely because the road cars are front drive and seeing Aurions running around with RWD would be a bit weird as a spectator, perhaps chrysler with the 300C would be better. But a NASCAR chassis would be a plus for the sport I think in terms of cost cutting as long as they still resemble a falcon or commadore on the outside.

Kinda silly that the VE and the FG have to shorten their wheelbases now.

^ Not really - it's all in the interests of parity, which is what the sport thrives on.

Lowndsie wins race 2 form Van Gisbergen and Wincup.

Bah, all them Ford's were at the front :thumbsdown: Holden is looking weak atm! Particularly Skaife :(

Van Gisbergen impressed the hell out of me - his drives in Races 2 & 3 were exceptional.

+1

What the hell happened to HRT? They went from top of the times to unimpressive midpack overnight. Bad luck for lownsie, snapping an axle on the warmup lap.

yeh i felt for craig at the start of the race

well done to whincup tho

drive of the day was shane van gisbergen

wow that kid was throwing that car everywhere with todd kelly right behind him

how dark do they wanna run these races tho?

good ol melb weather haha

We got AFL instead of the V8s this afternoon, not impressed. But it's good to see Frosty at the top of the Drivers Championship. :D