Australian V8 Supercars

Jason Bright. That's what's wrong with the Green Fujitsu Falcon.

:lol: harsh but fair!

I managed to catch the end after racing home from my movie screening. GodDAMN that was a close finish! I missed the second-to-last safety car and was unaware of any troubles that Tander and Davo had while I was gone. Very very very very happy that they won though, and also really pleased to see that Richards and McConville got on the podium too. Murph was on FIRE (in the non-Winterbottom way), shame he couldn't get past Holdsworth but that's racing. Will definitely have to watch the parts that I missed, the ending was epic!

I watched it up until 2:30 and then I had to go to work. Fantastic watching though, especially when the rain started falling and seeing the cars slither about for a few laps on the greasy tarmac, especially Davison in the #2 Holden Racing Team car with the hapless Murphy trying to keep up. 'Do what he does'? How bout you concentrate on your own strategy! Fat lot of good it did them anyway when they ended up in 13th or so afterward...around about where Lowndes/Whincup were after their car failed to respond to the wet conditions. Must've been an impressive fightback for those guys to finish where they did, but great to see Tander and Davison hold on. Didn't put a foot wrong all weekend and thoroughly deserve the victory.

For those interested, The Stig finished 20th ;)

^ It's a very worthwhile safety precaution - if one car's ended up there, there's every chance another car could do the same.

^ It's a very worthwhile safety precaution - if one car's ended up there, there's every chance another car could do the same.

They don't do it in formula 1 and i've not seen such an anal thing in any other racing series i've seen. If they designed the track a bit better so it had some openings in places they wouldn't have to spend hours cleaning away each car.

^ F1 cars are a lot easier to recover than a beached 1500kg V8. Across the top of the mountain there's not really many places they can put openings to ease car-extraction. It's also a very, very long race, so it's better to err on the side of caution and throw a safety car.

^ It's a 300km/h approach there - to not throw a safety car for an incident there would be downright stupidity & negligence.

My liver is screwed...:beer:

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2009/11/18/v8s-to-kick-off-2010-series-under-lights/

The opening round of the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series at Abu Dhabi?s Yas Marina Circuit will be held at under lights.

It will be the first V8 night race since the opening round of the V8 Supercar Championship Series at Calder Park in 1997.

A collection of V8 Supercar delegates recently returned from Abu Dhabi where they met with circuit officials to decide the track layout and schedules for the February 18-20.

V8 Supercars operations manager Kurt Sakzewski confirmed to Speedcafe the intention is to run the first round of the V8 series under lights.

A track map of the circuit that the V8 Supercars will race on at the Yas Marina circuit
?The circuit has a full lighting system permanently installed, so it has the ability for us to do a twilight/night race, similar to Formula 1.

?Our intention to run in that format. It worked very well for F1 and in terms of the best time, the later in the afternoon, the better it is for them, in terms of how they operate.

?It will be very cool. We?ll start the races in daylight with the lights on and then as it gets darker, the lights come into their own. The drivers will hardly know it?s night time.?

Sunset in Abu Dhabi in mid-February is just after 6pm, which means that the races are likely to be broadcasted live into Australian homes in the early hours of the morning (approximately 1am).

The meeting will be run on Thursday, Friday night and Saturday night and will feature two 200km races.

The circuit selected is the 4.7km variant, revealed by Speedcafe two weeks ago, and is 800 metres shorter than the full Grand Prix track.

Drove around part of the Homebush track today. :mrgreen: Can't wait until next week. :mrgreen:

Wish we had Aussie V8's shown on TV over here.

Good news !!!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-get-us-tv-deal/story-e6frey5r-1225803671218

V8 Supercars get US TV deal

THE V8 Supercars will be broadcast to more than 79 million subscribers in America after the championship signed a deal with FOX Sports USA.
The three-year deal will see Australia's premier motorsport category broadcast on the SPEED network, the same cable channel which shows NASCAR, Formula One, MotoGP and several other series to a north American audience.

The deal will see the V8 Supercars televised in the States the weekend after each event. In the past, V8s have only been shown to an American audience as replays at the conclusion of the NASCAR Sprint Cup series.

V8 Supercars Australia executive chairman Tony Cochrane said the deal is a big step in developing the sport's international brand. "This is a fantastic and exciting relationship for V8 Supercars,'' Cochrane said.

"There is no question that SPEED in North America is the foremost network with regards to motorsport coverage and is the pinnacle platform in our sport - to be held in such regard by this highly professional organisation is a great testament to the quality of our television coverage and our racing.''

The American coverage will begin with a broadcast of next month's season-ending Sydney 500.

Great we are going to have to go to America now.

Wouldn't mind a round at Watkins Glen though.

Yay, another program to go on Speed that'll be shown in the middle of the night in between This Second In Nascar and The Fast and The Furious. :rolleyes:

Great we are going to have to go to America now.

Wouldn't mind a round at Watkins Glen though.

What's wrong with coming to America? Outside of taking a potential race weekend away from the home crowd and the fact they'll probably end up at California Speedway instead of going somewhere more interesting.

What's wrong with coming to America? Outside of taking a potential race weekend away from the home crowd and the fact they'll probably end up at California Speedway instead of going somewhere more interesting.

Nothing, in my view. I know if I was Tony Cochrane, I'd be keen to set a round in North America rather than the Middle East where the only spectators are the camels and those back home who hate their wives enough that they'd rather be watching the TV at 3am. Among the other positives, the brands are familiar (Ford vs GM), the technology is basic, and the drivers are friendly and approachable.

Yay, another program to go on Speed that'll be shown in the middle of the night in between This Second In Nascar and The Fast and The Furious. :rolleyes:

There's some strong opinions on wether or not we should be taking races away from Australia like Bahrain Abu Dhabi and recently China were 500 people turn up and Cock gets to pocket the money.

I wouldn't mind one round in the USA at a proper circuit.