Australian V8 Supercars

I was hoping to see Kelly or Skaife shunted off at some point tbh, bit of a shame.

I didn't catch the whole broadcast on Seven but I have to agree with asphotos, all I really saw was the Top Ten didn't hear a mention of Lowndes or much out of rest of the pack :(.

Plus I really don't like the guy they had going up and down the Pits, he just annoys me.

Shame to see the stewards are still capable of bonehead decisions - Dumbrell's drive through for unavoidably tapping the stalled Perkins machine.

Another fairly quiet race though - more action than yesterday though, and fortunately everyone (well, almost everyone) gets to go home with intact cars. Based on the form of guys like the Kellys, Winterbottom & Courtney we're going to have a great year.

Coverage-wise, the only sore point is Mark Beretta in the pits - he seems really out of his depth and not knowledgeable enough about the sport.

Is Berretta in the Pits?? From the stand it looked like Grant Denyer running around with Daniel Gibson chasing him.

Aussie Racing Cars had the best action this weekend. Some older gentleman ran into Turn 8 and flipped the car and stopped 100 metres away!!

Ok. Heres some photos from The Advertiser's website of the support categories crashes.

Aussie Racing Cars:

http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/2896/aussie1er6.jpg

V8 brUTES:

http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/4066/utes1ik7.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/7300/utes2nf9.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.**/img246/9185/utes3tw3.jpg

Porsche Cup:

http://img149.imageshack.**/img149/13/porsche1rt8.jpg

Very quiet weekends racing by V8 and Clipsal 500 standards. Guess thats good for the teams though. Hopefully Todd Kelly keeps it together for the rest of the year unlike 2006 where things fell away for him after the first round. I think I'll support him over Skaife this year which is a first after many years supporting Skaife. TK's getting the results, not MS. I'm still a huuuge Skaifey fan though!!

Stewards decision on Dumbrell was poor :thumbsdown: No excuse for that!!

VE Commodores looks terrific! I initially complained about the new HRT day glow colour but on the racetrack, it looks really good! My only complaint is towards that new style of wheel many teams are using. I'm not sure but I thought Tanders car had a mix of both old and new style on at the same style which is just weird...

The points system...ahhh...I dunno if I like it anymore. It seems that if you have an off and are punted to the back of the field, many teams will use the points system as an excuse to merely treat it as a 'test session' and thats not good. I know the fact that the sponsors demand their sponsored cars to have as much coverage as possible and therefore leads to the assumption that teams will try have their car out there as much as possible but nevertheless, I think there should be some points handed out from positions 15 to 30-whatever. That way, the teams can't say theres 'nothing to race for'.

Great day today. Shame about the winner though!!

Anyone else who went get sunburnt??

I would have much preferred Todd to get the win as I think Rick's a bit of a stuck up prat. Todd seems more grounded...

No sunburn (a first for me) Spent the 4 days in the hairpin stand soaking up the atmosphere... Another day off tomorrow and then it's back to reality on Tuesday :|

Is Berretta in the Pits?? From the stand it looked like Grant Denyer running around with Daniel Gibson chasing him.

I thought it was Berreta - but maybe it was Gibson (I wasn't paying too much attention to who it was). Whoever it was, they need to do some research before the next series, it was obvious they had no idea what they were asking questions about.

The points system...ahhh...I dunno if I like it anymore. It seems that if you have an off and are punted to the back of the field, many teams will use the points system as an excuse to merely treat it as a 'test session' and thats not good. I know the fact that the sponsors demand their sponsored cars to have as much coverage as possible and therefore leads to the assumption that teams will try have their car out there as much as possible but nevertheless, I think there should be some points handed out from positions 15 to 30-whatever. That way, the teams can't say theres 'nothing to race for'.

I still like the system - after all other series like MotoGP, F1 etc don't award points all the way through the field, so I really don't see the need to give someone points for coming 20th. You shouldn't get points just for finishing, you should get points for finishing well. It's a sport, not a charity.

Last edited:
good weekend of racing, although not too much carnage :( hehe.
Can't say i like Rick Kelly at all, that's all i'll say, but jeez Courtney had some pace, if only he knew how to launch the car.

I still like the system - after all other series like MotoGP, F1 etc don't award points all the way through the field, so I really don't see the need to give someone points for coming 20th. You shouldn't get points just for finishing, you should get points for finishing well. It's a sport, not a charity.
True but my view is that IF there were points to race for, regardless of finishing position, that would make me feel as though no team will simply 'rest' their cars to conserve tires or anything like that because I assume that IF there is something to race for in terms of points, teams and drivers are surely going to be out there doing whatever they can to get them, regardless of it being really low in reward ie; 1 point.

Its still a good points system though and far better than the previous ones adopted :)

Berreta, Gibson and Denyer are all Pit reporters. Daniel Gibson really annoyed me when he was interviewing Dick Johnson and he did the stupid reporter head nod, i.e his head was nodding constantly as Dick was speaking.

One thing I don't like, is how Rick was the round winner when Todd Kelly scored more points them him. What crap, just because Rick won the second race.

I was hoping the Kelly brother's would take each other out. :p

It's always been that whoever wins Race 2 is the Round winner at the Clipsal 500. Technically, it's a 500 lap race, and the 500th lap is in Race 2.

I hate Rick Kelly. I was wishing he crashed the whole time.

Technically, it's a 500 lap race, and the 500th lap is in Race 2.

Its a what? :p

Yeah, I don't like Rick Kelly much either.

Did anyone watch the story the ABC did on Craig Lowndes tonight? Quite a moving piece really, I never realised he and Brock were such close friends.

Did anyone watch the story the ABC did on Craig Lowndes tonight? Quite a moving piece really, I never realised he and Brock were such close friends.

I caught he end of it, for those who missed it, it will be repeated on Saturday at 12:30pm.

I knew Brock had mentored him to some degree, but I didn't know they were as close as that. Good show it was too - quite emotional, and gave a great insight into what drives Lowndes (and what, imho, makes him a step above the rest of the field)

I met Craig last year at the Grand Prix. He is, along with Brighty and Rusty, in my opinion very approachable. I think it's since he joined Ford and became a father, and he has really mellowed out. I met him at Mallala in 1997 and he was very arrogant then from what I remember.

I met Lowndes at Mallala in 1998 and he seemed quite a nice bloke then. I asked him for an autograph and neither of us had a pen, so he asked Skaife to run back and grab one. They were all smiles about it and in good moods :)

Total contrast to Alan Jones who point blank refused to sign anything and was very arrogant about it. I threw a rock at his truck later...

Dont get me started about that arrogant bastard Alan Jones. What a contrast between team mates hey, with him and Seton!!

Does any one know where i can get/download the race from sunday, my media center stuffed up while I was out of town and i've only got saturdays broadcast. Any help would be greatly appreciated.