Australian V8 Supercars

I met Craig last year at the Grand Prix. He is, along with Brighty and Rusty, in my opinion very approachable. I think it's since he joined Ford and became a father, and he has really mellowed out. I met him at Mallala in 1997 and he was very arrogant then from what I remember.

I first met Lowndesy in 1999 when they were on their way up to Darwin for the first V8 race up there. They did a run up through the centre of Australia with the merchandise truck and stopped at all the little places along the way. I was living in Roxby Downs at the time and heard they were going to stop off in Woomera. We headed down and had a few things signed etc. Lowndesy said they were going to the pub for dinner and we could join them if we wanted...

Which we did and all got quite drunk... I still remember him getting up and dancing to "livin la vida loca" badly :D

You can download every v8 supercar race from diwana.org

It is out now, so maybe if your lucky someone here will be able to send you an invite to it. If not join up on aussietorrents.com.au and the guy who runs diwana is a regular poster on there...(i would also call them sister sites) so there should be a few invites floating around.

I also just noticed that 'Red hot go' (craig docco) is up on diwana as well.

Thanks every one for the suggestions, so far I'm not having any luck. If anyone has a spare invite for diwana or aussietorrents i'll be sure to put it to good use ;)

Has any one else thought that now that Toyota is involved in NASCAR the next step for them would be to make their way into V8 Supercars. The have designed a 5.8l pushrod V8, this could be destroked to 5.0l (just like the ford and holden engines) the car would be based on the Aurion but modified to meet the size restrictions in a simular way that the VE is, if a standard floor is adopted this becomes even easier.

I'm sure Holden and Ford would not be happy with such ideas, but i reakon that a third manufacturer would be interesting.

Has any one else thought that now that Toyota is involved in NASCAR the next step for them would be to make their way into V8 Supercars. The have designed a 5.8l pushrod V8, this could be destroked to 5.0l (just like the ford and holden engines) the car would be based on the Aurion but modified to meet the size restrictions in a simular way that the VE is, if a standard floor is adopted this becomes even easier.

I'm sure Holden and Ford would not be happy with such ideas, but i reakon that a third manufacturer would be interesting.

The thing with V8 Supercars is that Mitsubishi wants in, but AVESCO dont want them there, whereas they want Toyota in, but Toyota dont want to be there. I say leave it as Ford vs Holden.

Thanks every one for the suggestions, so far I'm not having any luck. If anyone has a spare invite for diwana or aussietorrents i'll be sure to put it to good use ;)

I know that the V8 races are up on a certain fishy site.. PM me and I'll send you the link. No invite needed :)

How was that V8 Extra program. I haven't been able to catch an ep yet. How is it?

The thing with V8 Supercars is that Mitsubishi wants in, but AVESCO dont want them there, whereas they want Toyota in, but Toyota dont want to be there. I say leave it as Ford vs Holden.

I agree, Ford and Holden is the best mix. You either love or hate those companies. I feel nothing for Toyota or Mitsubishi, and besides, Mitsubishi are in enough trouble without entering the V8SC anyway.

^ I'd be shocked if HRT were chucked out - but if that did happen it seems that it's deserved - I mean how hard can it be to prove you own something? The fact it's taken this long says plenty...

They do seem in trouble, but I still struggle to see them being kicked out considering they have the most followers and supporters who pump millions into the sport. Still, rules are rules I guess. Pity that this has happened now after I've finally taken an interest in the sport after a few years off. I hope it gets sorted quickly and before Perth.

The Kelly's proved in a week that they owned HSV Racing. Craig Gore and Garry Rogers both said they could get all the documents together in 4 hours to prove they own it, and what does Skaife do....

....He gets a 2 week extension, then only just gets it in before the 5pm deadline. I think that if the lawyers are involved now, it's only a matter of time before they are banned from racing.

They appear to have broken the rules and they must be punished accordingly. I think the TEGA board should also make a new rule banning Walkinshaw from having any involvement with Australian motorsport again. David Richards has an involvement in the V8's and F1, and you dont see him mucking around with the teams he runs.

Edit: Re: Red Bull's last quote. True, HRT does have the biggest fan base and mechandise, but Toll HSV are basically the No.1 team now and Im sure the supporters will head to them instead. Banning HRT will send a strong message to the other teams. I mean, how hard is it to show a piece of paper saying you own the team??

Last edited:
I get the impression TEGA are trying to find a technicality to save HRT...if HRT have failed to clearly clarify skaife as the owner/operator, then they deserve to be kicked out. Rules are rules, no matter how big or small a fellowing the team has.

I think the TEGA board should also make a new rule banning Walkinshaw from having any involvement with Australian motorsport again.

Thirded. Seems the trouble only begun after he started showing his mug in the paddock again. History shows (documented in the book by Andrew Quested) that whenever he tries to interfere with the team, it all goes horribly wrong. I wish he'd learn to just stay away.

Consider that idea seconded.

You might be onto something there.

Skaife is a director on the TEGA board isnt he??

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Benetton: 1994-1995: Illegal car, Walkinshaw involved.
Arrows: 1999-2002: Took out Minardi's when losing and went bankrupt.
HRT: 2000's: Went bankrupt with Arrows and sold HRT to Skaife who couldnt afford it.
HRT: 2006-7: Owns 2 teams, now has problems with HRT again.

Last edited:
^ He was also done for illegal shock towers on a Group A Commodore at Bathurst in late 80's (he protested against every Sierra in the race, except the Eggenberger ones (which were found illegal due to a different protest), to which Dick Johnson responded with the shock tower protest).

The man is poison - he uses dirty, underhanded tactics and creates loopholes where none exist, in the arrogant belief he won't get caught. Deport him, now.

from v8supercars.com.au

TEGA to decide if HRT continue in V8 Supercar Championship Series
Release Date: 12/03/2007
The Holden Racing Team has met a deadline of providing the required paperwork to the Touring Car Entrants Group Australia (TEGA) which will now decide whether it is sufficient to allow the team to continue competing in the V8 Supercar Championship Series.

The deadline of 5pm today was met but due to the complex nature of the issues a decision is not expected immediately but prior to the second event of the 2007 season at Barbagallo Raceway in Perth next week.

The board of TEGA met over the weekend and again this afternoon to review the paperwork supplied by Skaife Sports, the nominated owner of the Holden Racing Team.

?For the benefit of all parties concerned and the Championship in general TEGA is attempting to have this matter determined as soon as possible,? TEGA Chairman Kelvin O?Reilly said today.

?As much as we would have hoped to have a decision today, the complexity of the issue remains such that it will take time to dissect the documents and determine whether they are in order or not.

?This is an extremely complex and delicate matter that TEGA needs to work through. Paperwork has been lodged but that doesn?t mean that it complies, that is for TEGA to ultimately decide.?

Skaife Sports had been given a final reprieve of 14 days to evidence compliance with the Team?s Licence Agreement (TLA). That deadline was 5pm today (Monday).

The TLA is designed to ensure that every team competing in the V8 Supercar Championship Series does so on an even footing.

It requires that teams are independently owned. It prohibits a situation where there is cross ownership or control of more than one team. The benefits of ownership are personal to the legal and beneficial owner of the TLA and a controlling interest cannot be transferred to any other entity without approval of TEGA.

Those persons who are granted a licence to compete must be of good character, and undertake to compete fairly and professionally and have the appropriate knowledge and qualifications to discharge the responsibility of a team owner in the best interests of the V8 Supercar Championship Series.

the outcome was due today? anyone know what happened?

Um... If you read this page, you would have noticed what we have been talking about for the last few hours...

And this was the article I posted from foxsports.com.au

Laywers to study Skaife paperwork

March 12, 2007

THE future looked bleak for V8 Supercars driver and Holden Racing Team owner Mark Skaife tonight as the wrangle over his team ownership continued.

Skaife met a deadline imposed by the Touring Car Entrants Group (TEGA), the governing body for the V8 Supercar Championship teams, to supply documentation.

But a TEGA spokesman said the organisation had decided to take legal advice on the situation and announce a decision before the next round of the championship, due to commence in Perth on Friday week.

If TEGA is not satisfied, HRT will be booted from the championship.

TEGA has been concerned about cooperation between HRT and HSV Dealer Team, as well as the involvement of the previous owner of both teams Tom Walkinshaw.

Rules prohibit cross ownership or control of more than one team.

"As much as we would have hoped to have a decision today, the complexity of the issue remains such that it will take time to dissect the documents and determine whether they are in order or not," TEGA chairman Kelvin O'Reilly said today.

"Paperwork has been lodged but that doesn't mean that it complies, that is for TEGA to ultimately decide."

Last month TEGA threatened to revoke the licences of HRT ? featuring drivers Skaife and Todd Kelly ? and HSV Dealer Team ? boasting reigning champion Rick Kelly and Garth Tander ? if requests for clarification of ownership and control were not met.

HSV Dealer owners John and Margaret Kelly ? the parents of drivers Todd and Rick ? were able to prove compliance before the February deadline.

Skaife failed but was handed a two-week reprieve which enabled he and team-mate Todd Kelly to contest the season-opening Clipsal 500 in Adelaide.

Todd Kelly came out of the weekend leading the championship, with younger brother Rick second.

Skaife is a director on the TEGA board isnt he??

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Benetton: 1994-1995: Illegal car, Walkinshaw involved.
Arrows: 1999-2002: Took out Minardi's when losing and went bankrupt.
HRT: 2000's: Went bankrupt with Arrows and sold HRT to Skaife who couldnt afford it.
HRT: 2006-7: Owns 2 teams, now has problems with HRT again.

Further to that and the shock absorber controversy that fbc pointed out, Walkinshaw also built his own HRT Commodore in Europe for the 1988 Bathurst race while Larry Perkins built and engineered the Australian version. Needless to say, those running HRT (Perkins and Jeff Grech) weren't overly impressed. Walkinshaw's car broke down after a handful of laps, so he decided to jump in the Perkins car. The brakes were different and he managed to destroy them and end any chances the team had of winning the race. Perkins quit and Walkinshaw beat a hasty retreat back to Europe.

Last edited: