Australian V8 Supercars

Prime Minister John Howard announces funding for Townsville Street Race from 2009

Release Date: 14/11/2007

STATEMENT FROM V8 SUPERCARS AUSTRALIA CHAIRMAN TONY COCHRANE

?V8 Supercars Australia joins all of our fans in North Queensland in a chorus of support for today?s announcement from the Prime Minister John Howard that his Government will allocate $10 million in funding for the Townsville Major Events Precinct.

?This funding, coupled with the already committed funds from the Premier of Queensland Anna Bligh, will see work commence early next year on the major urban renewal of Reid Park in Townsville and the event precinct which will host an annual V8 Supercar street race.

?My congratulations to the Prime Minister and the Member for Herbert Peter Lindsay who have worked tirelessly to ensure the people of North Queensland get the same opportunity to host a major event as those in the capital cities. Peter has been a very strong advocate of this initiative for North Queensland and understands just what this will do for Townsville.

?Prime Minister Howard?s announcement today is icing on the cake that will put Townsville on the world stage in July 2009 with the hosting of the inaugural V8 Supercar street race in North Queensland.

?Our fans would be well aware that it was also the coalition Government that supported the redevelopment of Bathurst four years ago that has transformed that venue into a world class motorsport precinct.

?There have been a number of key players in bringing this together along with the coalition Government.

?V8 Supercars Australia would like to express our great thanks to the Premier of Queensland Anna Bligh and particularly Treasurer Andrew Fraser who played such an integral role in assisting in getting this event off the ground. The State and Federal Governments working together will bring an exciting urban renewal to North Queensland.

?Finally we must thank the Mayor of Townsville Tony Mooney who has done such a brilliant job in helping us get the project to this stage. And without the Chairmanship of Tony Ireland and Townsville Enterprises this entire venture would have floundered years ago.

?Our many thousands of fans in Townsville and North Queensland will be delighted by this announcement.?

Source

This is some good news, although it's taken awhile for the Government to commit the final dollars required. Such a coincidence there is an election in two weeks time...

Wow - so Queensland gets 3 races... or will they move away from Willowbank (sorry, Queensland Raceway)?? Doesn't matter, I'll still go and see them at Indy in October.

The Final Round is on this weekend down at Phillip Island GP track. I cannot wait cause im going :D. It should be a close weekend racing judging on form, whincup and tander have been close most be determined on strategy, plus what FPR cars do.

Lowndes will need some luck if he wants to win the Championship. Rick i hope doesn't have a chance after last years amount of bullshit.

Ill be hopefully posting pictures on Monday or Tuesday :D.

So did anyone watch the finale? I only watched race 3 and it was probably the best race of the season. The T.Kelly/Whincup/Tander/Lowndes battle was brilliant.

Well done to Garth, even though I was gunning for Jamie. Garth is a better champ then Rick.

The right man won - and we got a thrilling finale, race three was real edge-of-the-seat stuff. Well done to Whincup, he'll get his chance, but Garth deserved the title.

It was an amazing finale. The final race was probably the greatest battle I have ever seen in motorsport.

Yeah, good to see Tander win it, even though I hoped Whincup would win.

Read in The Advertiser today that Tony Cochrane is looking to secure a deal with Singapore to run the V8's during the F1 night race there. What a motorsports event that would be!

I was there, i found the only good racing on the weekend was the last 19 laps of the final race, so tense, epically in the ford camps, cause everyone was wanting Craig to do to Tander as Kelly did to him last year. But it didn't happen.

Tander won the most races this year so i think he was the most likely to win the championship but if Whincup didn't make a mistake or didn't get taken out at Bahrain things would be different, like 2 finishes in 14th or 15th would give him the championship.

Hopefully next year there are more Holden teams that get there act together, cause all it is atm is HSV and HRT, need Jack Daniels and 1 more team up there to make it like a 4 holden v 4 ford teams up front.

Heard to on the radio today that apparently Tander will be driving for HRT next year, one assumes that it will be a clean swap with T.Kelly who will join the family team at Toll HSV.

Russel Ingall is also leaving SBR and Ford, so we can expect him back at Holden next year.

I had a meeting tonight with the FPV/XR club of Victoria and we were lucky enough to have Steven Richards be a guest speaker. He had alot of things to say, some were in regard to the possible night race at Singapore , he says it mainly showboating cause it would cause to many problems.

Expect to see a new Orion falcon in the field once the Orion is actually released, either one of himself or Winterbottom will be driving depending on championship points etc.

Also didn't know this but they had an awesome run home in the championship from round Oran park till end, they would have finished 1-2 in the points.

In regards to Todd Kelly, no one is sure where his going, his been whisper quiet about it but, i think Tander taking his spot is over 75% happening. Be interesting to see what happens with Supercheap Auto RT going under too.

I hope T. Kelly comes to SBR to take Ingalls spot. THAT WOULD BE THE BEST, his the only holden driver i like, lol.

T. Kelly will be driving for Jack Daniels Racing next year to replace Jack Perkins I think. Tander is moving to HRT with Skaife, Paul Dumbrell is going to Toll HSV to replace Garth. Ingall as far as I know is going to Paul Morris Motorsport. Noone knows where Cam McConville is going, he's been very quiet about his plans for next season.

I can not make sense of the Dumbrell / Toll move - he sure as hell lucked in to that seat.

No me neither i thought Ingall might have been a better buy for Toll HSV, even McConville would have been better

I hope the Ingall to Paul Morris Motorsport is just a false rumour, I've been a big fans of Russell for many, many years. I would be very disappointed to see him racing at Paul Morris Motorsport.

But, I guess Russell is past his prime and we will slowly start to see him dwindle down the field. I'll just have to start supporting Frosty a lot more and not worry so much about Russell...

I'm a little surprised that Jack Perkins won't be back next year and that T.Kelly signed with Jack Daniels, I thought he would've moved to Toll HSV with the rest of the family.

Just read in Auto Action that Cam Mconville will most likely be driving with BJR next season who have just bought 2 ex-HRT VE's

^ Brad Jones using Holdens?? What??

Apparently he switched camps. Don't know why

I gotta say I'm surprised by Ingall's move to Holden, and particularly into that team of all teams...

Ingall seems even more fired up than ever before but I think its all talk. He's not in a competitive, he hasn't been very competitive himself in recent times and he's driving for that dickhead.

I wonder who'll support Ingall. I don't think Holden fans would. Only the diehard INGALL fans...

I was an Ingall fan. Now he's moved I can honestly say, I wont be cheering for him.

Has it been confirmed yet?