Australian version of Top Gear

^ The Falcon is the closest thing you'll get to a 100% local car. The Commodore (pre VE) and 380 are / were both local adaptations of overseas products - there's still a hell of a lot of work done here on them, but they have origins across the oceans.

I was under the impression that the Holden Monaro and Mitsubishi 380 were both designed here for here. I'm probably wrong. Anyone like to clarify for me?
The 380 is pretty much just the Mitsubishi Galant from North America but we do build our own for the Australian and New Zealand market.

We certainly didn't design it ourselves, tho. Not by a long shot.

Now that JC's hit a nerve in the Aussie motoring consensus...
I wonder what a car, whose parts are completely designed and assembled here in Oz, would be like?
I was under the impression that the Holden Monaro and Mitsubishi 380 were both designed here for here. I'm probably wrong. Anyone like to clarify for me?

I think you would have trouble finding a single new car in the entire world which was designed solely by 1 country. Clarkson is being hypercritical claiming that the VXR8 isnt Australia but also claiming that car brands like TVR are British which they are clearly not anymore.

The Inline 6's by Ford are the closest thing to a full Australian car, most of the components are made in Australia.

The Holden V8 engines are crated from the USA, the Ford V8's are from Canada but are put together in Australia, and the other V8s are ford au built. The Holden V6's engine blocks are imported from Mexico.

The engineering by both car company's are mostly Australian.

As for the other brands for sale here im not too sure, im mainly a Ford man, and i take notice of holdens information too.

The Inline 6's by Ford are the closest thing to a full Australian car, most of the components are made in Australia.

The Holden V8 engines are crated from the USA, the Ford V8's are from Canada but are put together in Australia, and the other V8s are ford au built. The Holden V6's engine blocks are imported from Mexico.

The engineering by both car company's are mostly Australian.

As for the other brands for sale here im not too sure, im mainly a Ford man, and i take notice of holdens information too.

Where the engine is manufactured means nothing but by Jeremy Clarkson's definitions the Lotus Excige is Japanese as it uses a Toyota engine. If the VXR8 is American/Scotish then the Lotus Excige is Japanese.

^ The Falcon is the closest thing you'll get to a 100% local car. The Commodore (pre VE) and 380 are / were both local adaptations of overseas products - there's still a hell of a lot of work done here on them, but they have origins across the oceans.

Look under a old Opel Reckford, and then look under a VB Commodore and then get back to me......I'll take a appology in advance O.K? 8) The only thing that is totally unchanged was the doors, mostly due to the fact that doors are the hardest thing to make....I still kick myself that I never took any photos that day.....grrrrr

As far as the Mitsi....no idea??? :blink:

^ Settle down - I never said nothing was done, or that they were the same cars. As I said, a lot of work was done on the Commodore locally, but the origins of the vehicle are European.

See - origins - the base they started from, you know, and then changed.

^ Settle down - I never said nothing was done, or that they were the same cars. As I said, a lot of work was done on the Commodore locally, but the origins of the vehicle are European.

See - origins - the base they started from, you know, and then changed.

True the Commodore of the late 70's hate European inspiration but by 1988 the Commodore has been a competely Australian design. The Zeta Platform which the new Commodore is based will be used throughtout the world in many different types of cars. The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro has been designed by Holden and is essentually a Commodore with a different suit on. The Zeta platform is a Australian design and will be the base of these foreign cars

Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Impala
Buick Lucerne
Cadillac DTS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Zeta_platform

Where the engine is manufactured means nothing but by Jeremy Clarkson's definitions the Lotus Excige is Japanese as it uses a Toyota engine. If the VXR8 is American/Scotish then the Lotus Excige is Japanese.
Thing is tho, he never said it was Scottish - He just said it isn't Australian.

But his is a stupid argument anyway and he only said it to be a prick. That's his style.

True the Commodore of the late 70's hate European inspiration but by 1988 the Commodore has been a competely Australian design.

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble, but the Commodore was always based on an Opel until Zeta. Read up on the GM V platform.

The 2009 Chevrolet Camaro has been designed by Holden and is essentually a Commodore with a different suit on.

Yes and no. The Camaro will be on a shorter wheelbase than the Commodore.

Monaro was still based on an Opel, but I'm with kaBOOMn on this one, it's been re-engineered so much I wouldn't call them even remotely the same. The 380 is just a horrid USDM Mitsubishi Galant reworked a bit for Australia. Too bad they couldn't do anything about the horrible, horrible styling. It's so damn awkward, designed by a committee that seemingly never spoke to each other..

And before anyone comes in on their high horse to talk about the Toyota Aurion - It's just a Malaysian Toyota Camry V6 that's made here.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I was a bit insulted by their jokes about Aussie cars not having anything to do with Australia. Especially since most of the shit they deal with IS'NT ENGLISH EITHER. Gits :p

Otherwise, Zombie Brockie for host? He'd be funny, great in the car and cheap to keep :D

As Tone76 pointed out, we're not strapped for shit to do here in Aus, we have plenty of challenges we can do, plenty of old cars to make fun of {DADDOS BEWARE!} a fantastic history to pull on and some unique stuff, like all the car club drives we have. stupid things we do in cars. fantastic driving. we have it all.

The hosts will be the hard part.

As long as SBS doesn't take cues from Foxtel when regarding hosts...

Herald Sun said:
LEADING Melbourne model Scott McGregor is to move from pin-up to presenter.

McGregor, one of the top male models in the country, has been signed by Foxtel to host its new motoring series, Blood, Sweat and Gears.

McGregor, a former graphic designer, will start filming the series on Saturday.

"If anyone had asked me three years ago (when he was working in graphic design) if I wanted to be a TV presenter, I would have laughed at them," McGregor said.

"This (Blood, Sweat and Gears) was a great opportunity to take on a presenting role and I am really interested to learn a new set of skills. I have had a chat to (Temptation's) Livinia Nixon and Ed Phillips, asking for some tips."

The presenting position with the Pay TV giant will not impact on McGregor's role on the popular Channel 9 quiz show Temptation, where he and girlfriend Chelsea Butler are the gift shop hosts.

As part of his role on BSG, McGregor will drive a variety of luxury vehicles.

"I have recently bought a scooter to get around town, so, as you can imagine, I am really looking forward to driving some of these cars," he said.

"To tell the truth, I am not a rev-head, but I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of these prestige vehicles."

The Foxtel role came after he auditioned for Home and Away.

FFS..... :censored: :wall:

EDIT: source

Last edited:
Brilliant clarification ppl! Thanks....only problem is, is that I'm really starting to miss my old '88 Falcon GL straight 6 now ;)

If what JC said about the Falcon being a Ford and therefore an American car, what does that make the Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta?

Oh jesus christ..

True the Commodore of the late 70's hate European inspiration but by 1988 the Commodore has been a competely Australian design.

1988 VN Commodore was based on this Opel Omega A
250px-Opel_Omega_A_L.jpg

Even the VT was based on Omega B I believe
250px-Opel_Omega_VR.jpg

I assume now that being an Australian Top Gear, the host will be Mel Gibson like some people wanted a while back?