Australian version of Top Gear

Ruddeger

Active Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2007
Messages
179
Location
Geelong,Australia
I've never seen so much pessimism and negativity in one thread lol

Are all you Aussies really trying to say that in the whole of The land Down Under you can't muster up two or three presenters the equal of Clarkson and co?

I'll admit that Clarkson is a one of a kind.. but the other two, come on!!

Well for the Aussie version of the US show The Singing Bee channel nine couldn't find a suitable host so they had to bring in the Yank host [some bloke from NSYNC].

At least we're safe from one thing,Richard Wilkins is contracted to channel nine.
 

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
15,637
Location
Hull, England
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
Remember that member who used to start threads with 'Mel Gibson would be perfect'
Well he would be perfect now. :lol:
 

stiggie

pop
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
11,293
Location
Wollongong, Australia
Car(s)
Golf GTI
We don't want celebrity hosts. We want car expert hosts with a sense of humour.

I wonder what the show will be called.
 

stiggie

pop
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
11,293
Location
Wollongong, Australia
Car(s)
Golf GTI
What I mean is, will it just be TopGear, or TopGear Australia. It could get pretty confusing if its just TopGear.

I wonder if they'll use Jessica and if they'll re-record it if they do.
 

Deanodriver

@ .au
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
593
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
Holden Barina... whatever it was cheap :)
What I mean is, will it just be TopGear, or TopGear Australia. It could get pretty confusing if its just TopGear.

I wonder if they'll use Jessica and if they'll re-record it if they do.

Yeah, they'll do it with one of those bush instruments with bottle tops nailed to a stick, or playing gumleaves :p
 

Gman333-X-ferrari

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
3,822
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
Holden Cruze SRi Z-Series, Honda CBR250RR
They better have good hosts as they are what make Top Gear entertaining and special...

I wonder what cars they'll be testing... All types of cars (from super cars to everyday cars) or just Toyota Camrys and Ford Falcons... <_<
 

drewzor

Active Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2005
Messages
136
They will put the same old presenters that we have had for the past 3 decades for automotive journalism or some nissan skyline/VL commodor devoted tools and a token chick "turbo!turbo! forced air induction you know"... the reviews will be straight out of the catalogue with no insight or substance "This is the new accord, it has leather and optional sat nav and rides great $34990 at your local dealer. Now lets see how it goes against a Kangaroo". That right, lets not forget some lame attempt at a challenge which will be way over produced and will come out like a Van Dam movie..
Truthfully I hope its great but really... there is already an alternative to the original top gear, its called fifth gear and i dont bother watching it anymore.
 

Magnet

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
3,030
Location
Perth, WA
Car(s)
BMW E46 328Ci
Ian Hewitson! :mrgreen:

http://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/19/hueya0.jpg

*breath* so all you need is a stick of butter in the pan *breath* there we go...... *breath*, maybe some oil *breath*, there we go, and you have a great *breath* tasting soup *breath*.


As for the 'Aussie' version of the show, there is probably a 1% chance it will be something decent, and a 99% chance it will be completely contrived kack. Us Aussies have said the same thing pretty much every year a motoring show has been claimed to be the New Top Gear.

Please, for the love of god SBS:

1. No Peugeots doing 40 kays down the Great Ocean Road
2. No female presenters calling Ssangyongs 'zippy' and 'peppy'
3. A Holden going sideways on the racetrack isn't really that spectacular. Going sideways and upside-down is better.
4. No generic rock music or dance music. It sounds like a safety video.
5. Instead of destroying caravans, destroy Glenn Ridge

The only saving grace is that it will be done on SBS, so there is a slight glimmer of hope there.
 

eddysdaman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
1,010
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
Clue: It has boost.
Personally I think it has to be someone new and fresh.

I quite like some of the writers in Motor and Wheels magazines. Bringing them in with their expertise would be a smart move. Lets not forget, that before TopGear; May, Hammond and Clarkson were not all that well known.
 

Warm.Beer

New Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
1
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Car(s)
BMW 540i
I vote Daryl Somers for host. He shares the same wit, comedic timing and ability to drive sideways as Clarkson. Plus, I believe his contractual obligations to Dancing with the CarsStars is coming to a convenient end. :lmao:
(ducks the incoming storm of abuse)
Alternately... "Bring Back Bert"!!!
 

squirtle

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
14
I don't see where all the "but all they'll have to review are Commofalcons" guys are coming from, just looking at the PCOTY line-up for next month's MOTOR they have the R8, RS4 Avant, S5, M3, Z4 M Coupe, FPV GT Cobra R-spec, Maloo R8, XKR, Gallardo Superleggera, Murcielago LP640, 911 GT3, Boxster S, Megane F1 R26 and Caterham SVR200. That's 14 performance cars there, with only a single car from both Holden and Ford. Throw in a bunch of 2008 cars like the GT-R, 911 GT2, EVO X, Lancer Ralliart, new STI, F430 Scuderia, new Falcon, RS6, M3 sedan, 135i, etc and there's more than enough cars on sale in Australia for the show. It's not like they'd be filming 40 episodes a year requiring them to pad with stuff like the Holden Epica, probably 20 or so episodes at the most.

Obviously there's no certainty that the show will be any good, but saying it'll be crap based on the horrible Ch 9 and 10 attempts at car shows doesn't really make much sense. This is SBS we're talking about, look at Ch 9's attempt at a Daily Show type of thing with 'The Nation', and absolute piece of crap while SBS come up with Newstopia which is hands down one of the funniest shows on TV. If Channel 7 were making this show, there's a 99.9% chance it'd be terrible, but with SBS you have to give it at least a 50/50 shot at being ok.
 

ykickamoocow

Active Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
167
Location
Sydney
I don't see where all the "but all they'll have to review are Commofalcons" guys are coming from, just looking at the PCOTY line-up for next month's MOTOR they have the R8, RS4 Avant, S5, M3, Z4 M Coupe, FPV GT Cobra R-spec, Maloo R8, XKR, Gallardo Superleggera, Murcielago LP640, 911 GT3, Boxster S, Megane F1 R26 and Caterham SVR200. That's 14 performance cars there, with only a single car from both Holden and Ford. Throw in a bunch of 2008 cars like the GT-R, 911 GT2, EVO X, Lancer Ralliart, new STI, F430 Scuderia, new Falcon, RS6, M3 sedan, 135i, etc and there's more than enough cars on sale in Australia for the show. It's not like they'd be filming 40 episodes a year requiring them to pad with stuff like the Holden Epica, probably 20 or so episodes at the most.

Obviously there's no certainty that the show will be any good, but saying it'll be crap based on the horrible Ch 9 and 10 attempts at car shows doesn't really make much sense. This is SBS we're talking about, look at Ch 9's attempt at a Daily Show type of thing with 'The Nation', and absolute piece of crap while SBS come up with Newstopia which is hands down one of the funniest shows on TV. If Channel 7 were making this show, there's a 99.9% chance it'd be terrible, but with SBS you have to give it at least a 50/50 shot at being ok.


I too am glad SBS will air Australian Top Gear instead of the other networks (though ABC wouldnt be too bad) as the commercial networks are truly woeful. I personally cant wait to see the Australian Tame Racing Driver, so many questions like What Colour will he be (my vote is Dark Green) and what will be his name (it better not be something as dumb as "Australian Stig")
 
Top